• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tax on used ATV

LoonASea

Years ago I bought a used atv from a friend ,,I never transfered the title and registered it to My name since it was never taken off our property,,,My question is I may want to use it on lakes ice fishing and hunting ,,,do I have to pay tax on it to register it again since its was last registered in 2000???

I would say yes, since you will be transferring it to your name, which legally should have been done when you bought it, regardless of whether you were going to register it for use on public lands. you might be able to depreciate it somewhat since it's obviously not worth the same amount as originally purchased for, but I don't know. just go to your local DMV and they will be able to help you!

Chuckn is right about the sales tax, there will be a transfer fee, plus a license fee, get a ag permit too if you elegible for one, it is a one time permit good for as long as you own that 4 wheeler. If you have a shovel or a fork or some tool used in ag or going to check your cattle or hogs you can be on the county or township roads. wink.gif

I think you have to be a little careful about the "having a tool with you" scenario. The rules read that you are actively involved in farm work not just looking like you are.

The real advantage is that the ag permit allows farmers that are doing farm related work the ability to waive some of the restrictions such as ditch running and use on certain roadways. For example, I use mine to move hay racks along roadways to and from the field. When doing fence work it allows me to drive in the ditch or across wetland during the summer months to maintain my fences.

The point is that the ag permit does not allow me or anyone to waive the restrictions just because I have it.

Bob

I bought a used wheeler from this site about a month back.

I asked if the rig had a title and the owner told me no, he never recieved one. The tag is current for a few more months.

My questions are.

1. I have no title but I do have a hand written reciept of purchase. Do I just take that and serial # up to DMV to get a permit?

2. RE: Ag permit. I live on a 10 acre hobby farm. We have a hay field for our own use and some critters. (Horses cats dogs and a bunch of kids) Do I qualify for Ag permit or must it be for profit farming?

My uses for the wheeler will be putsing around are own property and Ice fishing. I have no plans at this time for trail riding.

There are no titles for ATVs.

Write down the license plate numbers and letters to the DMV to change ownership. I think the serial numbers may work also, but I'd go with the plate #'s personally.

You should be able to qualify for the permit.

I don't recall filling out any questionaire for qualification. Just asked for it and paid the appropriate fees.

Remember, all the ag permit does is allow you to waive some of the restrictions while you are using your ATV for farm related work.

It comes in handy for me because much of my fenceline runs through wetland and along road ditches so I am able to use the ATV when mending fence or whatever.

Bob

I asked the question abour registering to the DMV ,,,they told me I will need a "Bill of Sale" and the motor serial # and registeration # (all of wich are on the bill of sale) ,,its $36 to register it and $9 to transfer it

Now all I need is the time to get back there with the bill of sale and "git er done"

They gave me the same run around with a dirt bike. There is no title on offroad vehicles in MN period. All they need is the VIN# off the frame I believe. You are probably right about the transfer fee if it had been registered before, but the dirt bike that I registered had never been registered in MN before.

Quote:

I asked the question abour registering to the DMV ,,,they told me I will need a "Bill of Sale" and the motor serial # and registeration # (all of wich are on the bill of sale) ,,its $36 to register it and $9 to transfer it

Now all I need is the time to get back there with the bill of sale and "git er done"

Earlier today, I went to the county services place and transferred an ATV I bought over the weekend into my name. All I gave them was the red plastic DNR registration and my ID. Cost me $12.50 only (the current registartion was good until 12/08). cool.gif