• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need some quick jet advice!!!!

lawdog

OK. We are leaving next week for Co elk trip so time is VERY short. Taking my dad's Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. and wondering about jetting it for the 10,000 elevation. Guys I am going with went last year and some ATV dealer out there told them to just pull their air filters and it would work as good. They rode that way the whole week and didn't even foul a plug. Guess its damp enough there not to worry about dust and in theory that sure should let more air in I guess.

ANY ADVICE/THOUGHTS????

You might consider just leaving it the way it is.

I have had my 400 Sportsman (2002) out to Colorado several times. It has been as high as 11,000 feet, and I did not rejet. It was a little blubbery and rich, but it started, idled, and ran just fine. Never fouled a plug. It pulled out a big cow with no problems.

I would definately NOT pull the filters with all the dust you can get out there.

Make sure you turn the fuel off when you transport the unit out there.

lawdog I was just out with my 500ho, the 2 of my dads didnt need a thing, mine however ran rich and fouled plugs.

Instead of rejetting I ran with the air box lid off and it helped but as mentioned I basically needed a new air filter by the end of the week from all of the dust.

alright thanks guys. After much conflicting advice, I'm just going to be extra careful and change the main jet to a 147.5

What is the plug in this thing? I want to get a spare to bring along, not that I have ANY desire to try to change that thing buried under that tank. UGGGH. Actually I'm thinking maybe before I go out I'll put in one of those top shelf NGK Iridium plugs so I know I should be good to go out there...

Ya this isn't the only place I've asked. And a couple guys really made re-jetting seem like an absolute must. One other guy who rides and works on wheelers a lot (but isn't really a mountain guy) said there was NO WAY he'd ever run without that air box and air filter completely intact too, so that's the conflicting advice I've gotten.

take the lid off your airbox that will increase the airflow. I run and open airbox on my race quads...far more dusty there than on a trail hunting. and get a handful of sparkplugs just in case.

I re-jetted and boy I'm glad I did. I was still plenty rich and was loading up when I'd idle. One guy did run with the box open too and it ran well, just seems a bit risky for my dad's unit I was just borrowing!