• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hows the rut going in your area?

tjm

I was out pheasant hunting yesterday and seen a scrape that looked fresh and the branch above it looked like it had been chewed early in the morning. I posted some pics of bucks fighting I got on my trail cam in the trail cam pics of the deer-bear forum.

All i can say is (I'm glad no one new was hunting with me over the weekend)Talk about dead

Lots of new scrapes/rubs all being used after dark.more like after 10pm and before 6pm because i ran the spot light during leagl hours and never saw 1 buck nor realy saw much for deer in general.

Yesterday afternoon i put some doe pee on a new scrape.No deer showed up last night.I put my bow in the farmers house and got out the spot light.At 8:23pm the deer came outa the cover by 9pm i saw 18 bucks 9 does/fawns by 10pm i saw 34 bucks 12 does/fawns

This morning i went back to the stand i sat yesterday afternoon.I looked at the scrape i put some pee on and it had opened to the size of a truck hood over night.After a 45 minute sit it started to rain(down poor)so i headed out for a drive.20 minutes later it was day break and i saw 14 bucks in the 1st 25 minutes everyone had there nose to the ground and hauling azz across picked fields searchin.I never did see 1 doe at this time.

Grinding my teeth we left are stands now i look out on a fence line and see 150" monster body buck nose on top of a does back her tail sticking straight out his neck the size of a barrel.I turn around down the road a 1/4 mile came back.No deer they had fled into the standing corn

I hope this is the sign of better days ahead because i can honestly say the past 3 days were ugly for us.I cant recall in the last 15 years anything this bad that many days in a row.Then this morning i see all this and it just had to rain and we had to be home by noon anyways."Figures"

We tried small sets of atlers with no luck.Set i had luck on score about 150" and the 2 bucks that came in 1 being antlers had just broke the hair line and he figured he was the stud of the area.The other had 1 fork he also figured he was the stud and who dared to be in his back yard.Little do they know whats ahead of them in the next few weeks.I was so upset at the bad hunting we were having i threw 1 antler at the fork horn buck just so he knows what comming when he hears the thunder.He never looked back as he high tailed outa the area.That was the only thing that put a smile on my face the whole weekend.

Spent a couple days on our hunting land up near Onamia this weekend. Saw several very fresh ground scrapes, tree rubs and lots of deer. Mostly does and fawns, but one very heavy bodied buck (didn't get a very good look at his rack). My 15 year old son arrowed a nice big doe on saturday evening. He's taken two bucks with a rifle, but this was his first deer with a bow, so that made it a great weekend.

All this deer activity has me really pumped up for the upcoming weeks. In fact, I'm pretty sure my own neck is beginning to swell up.

I've seen two small scrapes, no rubs. Tried a rattling, grunting, & can calling sequence with my doe decoy out last night, maybe doesn't make sense, but there's often a doe hanging around the fighters. Anyway 12-13 minutes later I had a spike come to my decoy. He never got closer than 15 yards to the decoy, he just kept staring at it & circled downwind. He was dead at 18-20 yards if I'd opted to take him.

Hunted last night and finally started to see some small rutting activity. I saw a total of 10 deer, 4 of which were bucks. I didn't get a good look at one as he showed up late and about 400 yards at the other end of the field, but he stayed away from the other deer and just watched them... seemed like a larger deer. 2 of the 3 smaller bucks sparred lightly for about 10 minutes, and I could still hear them going at it when I backed out in the dark. I have still not seen any chasing yet. Maybe tonight!

Dave