• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skunk

Heidi

My Brittany got sprayed Saturday morning. Cabin and dog reeked!!! Used a recipe I heard on KFAN Outdoors. A bottle of hydrogin paroxide, liquid dish soap and baking powder and a pair of rubber gloves. I had this in a kit and it sure came in handy. Worked like a charm. Only bad things can happen when you let a dog out in the dark.

Been there done that. Same thing happened to my dog when I let him out early in the morning. The recipie sure worked good. I was able to stand the car ride home with him!

I always have a bottle of "Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover" with after going through that sevral times over the years. It costs about $9 a bottle at Petco. It also works on other odors dog get from rolling in dead things and so on that these critters always seem to find.

This odor remover is made from simple household ingredients:

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap.

Mix the three ingredients together and use immediately. The chemical reaction produced from these ingredients lasts only a limited time.

If you use this formula to remove skunk odor from your pet, be sure to rinse offhim off with water. Do not let the solution soak for more than a few minutes.

Couple more things about this recipe, don't store it once it's mixed, in a sealed container. It creates a gas that will expand and "explode" if left in a container with a lid. Could be nasty if put in a glass container and just plain messy if in a plastic one. The Peroxide is a bleaching agent so be careful what you put it on. Also, the solution is good only for a few hours at most so don't premix it thinking you'll have it handy for emergencies. I've used it, unfortunately, and found it to work great on most things. Leather boots aren't one of them.

Newman got hit by a skunk tonight...I was in the house and could smell it right away...I IMMEDIATELY went to find him outside and sure enough as soon as i opened the basement slider I knew what I was in for...Holey skunk!!!!

I grabbed him immediately to keep him from running inside and wouldnt you know it my hand went right into the spray. DAAAAAAAAAMN

Unfortunately I have winterized my outdoors and moved my hoses and stuff into the basement. I had to rinse him the best I could with a few buckets of soapy water and carried him into the shower where I gave him 3 baths. He's pretty clean now, the only place I can smell any skunk is if I stick my nostrils right on his snout. The baking soda/hydrogen peroxide was my choice of deoderizers.

The only thing that is left smelling horrible now is my hands!!! Madge I soaked them! Still cant get the stink out!!

What a mess.

BD

I had my dogs get sprayed by a skunk and used some skunk away stuff, worked great. A couple of weeks later they rolled in dead rotten (in the water) raccoon. I tried the skunk away, nothing. I used a custom blend of dish soap, vinegar, and herbal essences. That worked, course they were unhappy they didn't reek any longer and smelled really fruity....

I had to use the recipe a couple weeks ago myself after the dog had a slight encounter with a skunk. She wasn't real bad, but you could definitely smell it on her. I had my sister call a vet to see if they had any of that over the counter skunk spray on hand, but instead the vet recommended the peroxide recipe as a much more effective way of removing the smell. It seemed to do the job!