• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

17 years later...

It finally happened last night.

It was an idea of a young 17 year old teenager to start a bow hunting experience. The desire was there, but the free time was either not meant to be or when it was meant to be, the game did not cooperate. So, the story goes: I have never really had quality time bow hunting. And for some fourteen of the last 17 years, I've been "donating" money to the DNR: 3 of the years, I retired the bow.

It was a beautiful day: the sun was shining, a gentle breeze was blowing in the right direction, and the temperature was reaching 70. The red squirrels were out in full force. They barked at the slightest moves I make to drive away the pesty incests. The noisy red-headed woodpeckers, although quite pleasing to the eyes, were terrible to my ears and state of mind. And out of all these disturbances, a familliar figure finally appeared. Then a second one appeared in pursuit of the first. (It is the most mind pleasing scene a hunter can ever hope for: a deer showing up among the autumn trees, sapplings, twigs, brush, and blowing leaves. It's these moments that we hunters invest so much and money.) My heart was racing at the scene but I calmed myself down and waited for a clear shot. Then it happened. The doe walked into an area which I can slip my arrow through a hole among the twigs. The shot was quick, and the doe went down hard.

The journey to first kill has been 17 years long. October 1st, 2006, I can finally claim that I've killed a deer with my bow and arrow. (I've killed many with my rifles.)

Congrats. My buddy just got his first bow deer (a doe also) on saturday morning and you'd think he killed the new state champ non-typical he was so happy. Its such a great accomplishment. A recent article I read called that first doe with the bow a "confidence doe". Its something to prove to yourself that you can do it and its not impossible. NOw you can be that much calmer trying for your first bow buck. Just hopefully it will take less than 17yrs !! tongue.gif

So are you gonna have to change your avatar now?! You can be FINALLY!!

Way to go!

Way to go man! That's stick-to-it-tiveness. Congratulations! I found the first one to be the hardest. Killing a deer with a bow almost took on a mythical type of status with me. After the first one though, It got considerably easier (but not too easy!). Way to stay with it! There's a lesson there someplace but I'll save it for the after school special!