• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

the colors of fall (pics included)

even though it rained this morning....the sun broke through the clouds adding to the great fall coloration.....the woods really changed this last week..the colors are coming fast and the leaves were really falling today......jonny grin.gif

just an added note: I took these pics about 12 miles south of Hibbing near Beauty Lake (actually what's known as "beauty mountain" to us locals)...taken with my fuji s9000 and fuji s5000.....used both cameras....

Frame_amanitascarey004-1copy.jpg

Frame_DSCF5801-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF2676-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF5824-1.JPG

We have precious few panoramas of fall color up in the big woods, since there are few long-distance views around. So it's mostly close-up type stuff, but there are plenty of opportunities for that. Here are a couple from today. Gotta love it when the woods are wet. It's one of the best tips I can give you. Shoot fall color during a misty rain or just after rain. Makes the colors more vivid, and the tree trunks stand out black and sharp when they're wet. And if the sun comes out, sometimes even if it doesn't, throw on a polarizing filter to add color saturation and kill the glare of reflected light off wet leaves.

Sometimes I'll set up a fall color detail shots. That's OK with me, as long as it's something that could reasonably occur in nature. But today was all about the totally natural, so none of them have been arranged in any way. Just the way Mother Nature set the table.

The Agassa Trailhead, off the Echo Trail. This is, after all, the way most leaves look after the wind has plucked them from the trees. This bunch was strewn all over the top of a moss-colored rock.

Canon 20D, Canon 17-40L at 17mm, iso400, 1/50 at f5.6 handheld

Agassa-strewn.jpg

Another maple leaf, this one pushed onto a moss-covered log on the Stuart Trail

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L IS at 285mm, IS off, 8 second exposure at f40, Bogen tripod, custom functions include — noise reduction for long exposure, mirror lockup

maple-leaf-moss.jpg

This one's from the Angleworm Trail

Canon 20D, Canon 17-40L at 17mm, iso200 at f4, handheld

maple-fern.jpg

Nice pictures guys! Johnny, you've got the Canvas gig down!

Quote:

Gotta love it when the woods are wet. It's one of the best tips I can give you. Shoot fall color during a misty rain or just after rain.

I'll add to that pointer by saying that taking pictures of flowing water on cloudy days is also a very good choice.

thanks all!......only had today off! tongue.gif......just took advantage of it!.....I heard a grouse drummimg this morning as I was walking down a trail...guess they do that occcasionaly...never did see it...Steve's right on the panorama thing......we are pretty well socked in up here..I usually settle for close-ups of the leaves also...here's a few more from this morning.....jonny grin.gif

Frame_DSCF2665-1-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF2693-1.JPG

Frame_DSCF2691-1copy.jpg

We will be heading up to the North Shore this weekend to hike and enjoy the fall colors. Any recommendations as to where the best viewing will be? By the looks of these photos, the maples are pretty hot right now. Great job! Hopefully I will have some good shots to add next week.

WCS, I'm not sure about how the fall color is along the North Shore. Because the lake keeps the temps more moderate in fall, color along the shore turns later than color inland. Color up here in Ely is prime now and again this weekend and into next week, so I'd check with the Duluth Chamber of Commerce Web site or check the DNR Web site to find a North Shore color forecast.