• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help! Yellowjackets Under Siding???'s

White-tips

I've got Yellowjackets coming in and out of the corner of my house where my siding meets my brick. There also seems to be 2 other less used entry/exit spots they're using.

Pest control guy wants $75 minimum to come spray some white foam up and under the siding. I was thinking there's got to be something WAY cheaper to do myself?

Anyone out there ever take care of this problem themselves?

What kind of spray did you use? Namebrand? How long to take effect? Did it get rid of them permanently?

Any help, suggestions is/are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Do yellowjackets sting or bite? frown.gif

Click here for more information.

Yellowjackets sting and are not something to be taken lightly. You can have little reaction to bee stings but a yellowjacket can cause you to go into enaphalactic (sp) shock. This happened to my sister where she wasn't allergic during the summer and then that fall she went into shock. This all came about out of the blue at the age of 43 or so. Good luck!

I am just finishing up getting rid of bees where my siding meets our front step. Today was the fifth straigt day I have tried this and it really appears to be working. I got the shopvac out and added four extension tubes. I placed the tube under the step where the bottom tier of siding joins. I was able to prop the extension up by placing it on top of shrub. I have run the vac for an hour at a time and it is really working. Before shutting it off, I removed the extension and used and old rag to plug the end. I have opened the vac and it is about half full of dead bees. You can actually hear them going through the tube/hose. You have to be careful - on the fourth day I got things set up, I had bees swarming the shopvac almost like they could sense a queen/leader was in the vac. Seems to be working for me so thought I would throw this out to you. Good luck and be careful.

I have taken perverse satisfaction out of exterminating thousands of these pests over the years, and have destroyed nests under the eaves, the deck, in shrubs and even some ground-nesting wasps a time or two.

HOWEVER - when the buggers got under the siding of my house a couple of years ago, I called in the pros. In my case the nest had gone undetected for a while, and when we discovered it the siding was beginning to bow out. In talking with the exterminator, he was telling me that the things will eventually tunnel and work their way to where they gain access to the inside of the house. I thought he was full of dump, but sure enough about a half dozen yellow jackets found their way into the laundry room.

After the exterminator was done, I waited a couple of days and filled in the holes with expanding foam, and then sealed things with caulking. No problems since.

I had this happen to me one year and it can be real ugly. I almost had a houseful of about 10,000 yellowjackets trying to spray wasp killer into the main enterance. If you destroy their main enterance, they WILL make another, probably in your house.

I contained the hoard using some creative duct taping but it was close. I then called a pro and waxed them for good.

After he got my $$ he told me how to do it myself.

Get yourself some SEVIN dust insectacide, the powder type and a puff bottle to apply it. Go out at night and find the enterance and give it a good blast, run away....

Come back in a few and do it again if they are not flying all over the place. The powder dosent [PoorWordUsage] them off like the liquid sprays do

I've had this problem before also. I've always used the spray with good results, just buy a good name brand and not the store brand (Black Flag, ect.) Tonight will be your best bet, it's going to get cold. At night they return to the nest and with the cold temp they won't move very fast so you should be safer. Go out around dark and spray as much as you can in the hole. If you can find a tube to run it in a bit that would be even better. May take multiple apps. If you still see them tommorow try again tommorow night and so on. The spray remains deadly so they only have to walk through it to die. Good luck

I've had this problem twice this year. They are picking the gap between the gutters and the soffet. Both times I used RAID wasp and hornet spray with great results. ALl the bees died with several falling out onto the driveway and deck. After a couple days I had no problem scraping out the hive and cleaning up the area.

The sprays work well because you don't have to get right up to the hive. Also, spray at night or ealy AM. They are far less active then.

I had yellow jackets two years ago under my front steps. Tried spraying and they just attacked me. Called out the pros and gone in a couple of days. They were working their way into my house before then. Then found them in my eves this year. Called the pros right away. Took them a couple of times of coming out but they are gone. I have tried sprays and home remedies, I would recomend getting the pros. You don't want to get swarmed by them. With the spray I got close to ten stings at one time, you don't want that, it hurts bad.

We'er in the lawn service business and we have to deal with bee's all the time...wasps, yellow jackets, different kinds of ground dwelling bee's, we get them out of clients trees, under eaves, under siding, all over the place.

It doesn't seem to be to difficult?

We get a spray can of insecticide that is formulated for bee's and in the morning, before they have their coffee, when all of em are still in the nest, plotting the daily strategy, getting ready for a day of gathering food, ruining picnics and stinging people, we give them a liberal dose of the spray, so that they track it into the nest to kill the others and any larvae they may have in there, when they come and go, throughout the day.

Between one to three applications in the right spots and they are either killed, or leave to find a more hospitable location.

I have delt with this issue a few times. I called an exterminator and they sent me to Mils Fleet farm to buy a white colored powder. Worked awesome. I will look tonight when I get home for the name of it. I tried a method on my own but didn't work. Word to the wise... DON'T plug their entry hole with expandable spray insulution. From experience this is not a good way to take care of them. I did it and got a call from my wife about an hour later telling me that the picture window in the house had about 2000 hornets buzzing around. Not outside they were in the house. When I used this powder I was still finding dead hornet months later. I guess this stuff sticks to their legs and they bring it right to the queen. I will get back to you.

I've taken out a few nests over the years, never had an unsuccessful attempt. Get a can of the good wasp/hornet killer--the stuff that sprays in a jet stream for 10-20 feet. Wait until dark and spray a good long blast into the entrance hole. I generally plug the hole immediately after spraying, the liquid will send vapors throughout the nest and there will be no survivors--UNLESS the nest is a long way inside the house far from the entrance hole (most often, it is not). You'll have to use your better judgement, it's always trickier when the nest is in the house rather than a hole in the ground, or retaining wall, or shed, etc. Good luck!

Click here for more detailed information.