• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tire leak

Bigbartguy

BigBartGuy,

When I get those slow leaks in my ATV tires I put a product called "SLIME" in the tires and they hold air seems like forever after that. Fleet has the stuff and so does any motorcycle shop. Good luck!

Macguyv - it was nice meeting you and your wife this summer, hope you had a great day biking. I'm not sure where the leak is coming from

Dobbers -do you just put the Slime into the valve stem or do you do it the old-fashioned way (pull the tire/tube off).

I've had issues on bike tires when pulling the tire/tubes off (tough to get back into 1 piece!) but not sure if ATVs are better? heck, I'm not even sure that there is a tube?

I don't believe any have tubes but could be wrong. I have heard of people putting tubes in after they got leaks though. I pulled my wheel off and dunked it in water to find the leak and than did the old fashioned plug deal where you shove in the 'rougher upper' than shove in the plug and cover with rubber cement trick it has held for over a year so far but I don't ride it a ton either.

I have heard positive things about the tire slime, you put it in the tire via the valve stem, then air up the tire. They say the slime lasts up to 2 years and that it will seek out and find any punctures up to 1/4 inch. Type tire slime into a search engine and you should find their HSOforum with more detail.

I have heard that the tire shops hate slime as if tou don't prewarn them it's a little messy on there clothes, even though it cleans up with water.

Quote:

I have heard that the tire shops hate slime as if tou don't prewarn them it's a little messy on there clothes, even though it cleans up with water.

Everybody who opens a tire with it hates it....its a mess! Fix a Flat is even worse and its dangerous because its flamable.

Any place that sells atv tires should be set up to break it down and fix it but heck take Mac up on his offer. Could be you just got some dirt in the bead and the tire needs to be broken down and the rim cleaned.

Yeah, it's a real treat cleaning up the rim, and the floor, and your shirt...Some people would tell me beforehand that there was slime in the tire, but not many. Another thing to make the tech a little happier is to give your quad a bath before you bring it in. We are not impressed with how much mud you can pack on it. wink.gif

What I find to be a little puzzling about Slime is that they claim it will seal up to a 1/4" hole but it doesn't seal my valve stem opening which is really about that size when you take out the stem and even smaller when you don't. Just a thought.

One of the problems with using tubeless tires for low pressure applications is they never seal very well against the rim. I've seen this problem on just about any application of this nature such as ATVs and lawn mowers. Slime does work for this problem and I now have injected it into all my ATV tires and lawn mower tires. I haven't needed to remove a tire since so I don't know yet what that might be like but I doubt it will be adding too much trouble.

Bob