• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Warn Winch just "stopped" working. Where to begin my repair?

Moose-Hunter

howdy all...

The Warn winch (2.5ci) just stopped working. I use it so rarely I didn't know anything was wrong until I went to wind in my new "rope" and nothing happened. The old cable was fine, but I wanted to try one of the new synthetic ropes... I have power to the handle bar mounted rocker switch but have taken my search no farther yet... Is there a breaker or fuse to check? Is the contactor in question? How could I test all these components? I'd rather not have to replace the whole system if only one part is bad... But which one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated... smile.gif

What exactly did you do to get the cable out? Free spool or reverse it out? Are you sure the free spool is back to engage? Or is there no clicking or any sound coming from the unit? You are suppose to only winch in/out for 10 seconds and then let it rest for around 20 seconds but don't quote me on the rest part. I know the 10 seconds is right. Otherwise you can burn the motors out.

Quote:

What exactly did you do to get the cable out? Free spool or reverse it out? Are you sure the free spool is back to engage? Or is there no clicking or any sound coming from the unit? You are suppose to only winch in/out for 10 seconds and then let it rest for around 20 seconds but don't quote me on the rest part. I know the 10 seconds is right. Otherwise you can burn the motors out.

To remove the cable, I used free spool. And yes, the winch was fully returned to engage. Zero noises coming from anywhere on the winch system. None at all. The wheeler starts and operates fine, just not the winch.

I have an intermittent issue with my Warn, but mainly in the cold of winter, or from moisture when off roading. I believe the issue is in the solonoid, if that's even the correct term?

Follow the power wires from the winch to the solonoid. It should be a small, silver tubular device where several wires connect to it. Inspect the connections. Also try tapping it with the butt of a screwdriver and see if it will work.

Check each wire leaving this solonoid to see if power is going to the winch.

One other thing you might want to try is to unhook the wires off the winch and put jumper cables from the battery to the terminals on the winch for a second and see if the winch will turn. That would at least rule out the winch as being the problem. Then you could dig a little deeper into the wiring. I had a similar problem and it ended up being the enabler wire that goes to the solenoid. I have a Warn 2000lb and when I turned the key on I couldn't hear the click of the solenoid.

Have you replaced your battery recently? I did a real bonehead thing once. Both of the cables coming off my winch are black. I didn't notice that so when I put the new battery in I hooked both up to the negative side... Didn't use my winch for about 6 months after the battery change and it took me a while to figure it out...

Quote:

I believe the issue is in the solonoid, if that's even the correct term?

Follow the power wires from the winch to the solonoid. It should be a small, silver tubular device where several wires connect to it. Inspect the connections. Also try tapping it with the butt of a screwdriver and see if it will work.

Check each wire leaving this solonoid to see if power is going to the winch.

Hi Chuck...

The 2.5 differs from the 2000 in the fact it has no solonoid and uses a contactor instead. The slolnoid on my machine is for engine starting only.

However, I'm happy to report the problem has been found and parts are on the way to repair it. I jumpered power (just briefly. GOOD TIP!!!) to the winch itself and got movement in both direction depending which terminal on the winch I touched. This procedure took the contactor out of the circuit... TA- DA!! Bad contactor.

With a new contactor, I should be good to go however being "Mr. Upgrade", my new contactor is coming along with a brand spankin' new Warn 3.0 system. The 3.0 will be mounted to my 700 and the 2.5 will make it's way over to my winchless 500HO. grin.gif OR... I may just try to fab a rear mount for the 2.5 to hang out on the back of the 700. Kind of like a mythical two headed beast... A camo colored "pull-me-pull-me"... grin.gif