• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Black Powder Rifle Question

bonefish

I'm in the market for a Muzzleloader. Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between a Winchester Apex, and a Thompson Omega? The actions look very similar, but the Winchesters are on clearance for $200 less!

I don't know much about the Winchester but I bought the Thompson Omega last year and love it. It is an easy gun to shoot and clean.

Muzzleloading is defintely addicting, I got one last year and can't wait to go again.

A friend who has muzzleloaded for a while told me all muzzleloaders are made by one of two companies and they just put different names on them.

The Omega was a groundbreaking idea in muzzleloaders with the drop away hammer to get at the breach and eliminating the bolt. Since it came out, its sold like wild fire and everyone has copied it as best they can, including that Winchester you are looking at. I don't know how good the Winnie is, but I love my Omega.

I also love my TC Omega. It is a lot of fun and I am glad that I bought it. I would go with the TC but that is just me. I am sure the Big Winnie is just fine as well.

I agree that TC has a great cleaning and loading area, but so does everyone else. It may end up being a Ford Chevy thing or at least Ford Dodge thing. wink.gif

I'm not an expert but I'm a trainee for sure. I got the pro hunter. It's a great gun but if your looking at one don't just look at the price. Thompson Center has the lifetime waranty. Thompson Center makes a great gun and hard to beat.

No question that T/C is a great gun! However, in MN, since we can not use scopes, it (the winni and other brands) will be every bit as accurate as the T/C Omega!!!!! If you are looking to save a few bucks, you will not be dissappointed. If you decide to put a scope on this gun, I would recommend that you go with the Omega! Get out to 200 yards and the qaulity of the gun will really show. T/C is tough to beat with all their BP masterpieces!!!

i had Gene's Sportshop in Perham order it in for me. It was the same price as the Encore. I got the Pro Hunter with the Camo and Thumbhole I love it. It was only 750. I know it sounds a lot but cabelas has the original for 875. I think it was a good idea because Scheels is selling the Thumbhole Encore/Camo for 750. I love it so that is what I like.

Thanks for the comments. I guess it's going to come down to whether or not I'll actually be taking this gun out of wooded areas in MN for a blackpowder hunt. If I think realistically, the Winchester will probably be all I need. But if I let my freinds keep putting thoughts of Colorado and New Mexico blackpowder elk in my head- then it looks like the Omega is the best choice.

I dealt with the kid when getting my gun but I'm loving it. Got some Triple 7 powder and it didn't fire well powder was wet. Don't know if I would buy any of the products for the guns there but I would definately give looking at the guns a good look before you do your final bid. Even if you call them and talk to them.