• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ranger Question

gunflint

After a lengthy search, we settled on a used Polaris Ranger 6 Wheeler. Only time will tell if this was a good deal or not. (99 with 196 hours for $5500 in excellent condition)

My question is: Both the previous owner and the manual say to use low gear most of the time, unless you are on hard packed roads with a light load. Is this more of a safty issue or a mechanical issue? I don't plan on doing any high speed trail riding but I will use this machine on hard-packed roads most of the time and want to make sure that by using "high" most of the time, I won't screw anything up. Thanks

I know on my X2 the manual said something like under 7 mph or towing to use low. If you are in hi the temperature can reach double then what it would in low. I had warped some belt covers on my previous wheeler and this explained why I did it. I never thought it would but it did.

Yep I burned out my belt towing a really light portable. Polaris guy told me at low speeds the pressure on the drive belt is not applied evenly in high gear

I would be inclined to think that using low range would be more likely to cause heat build-up in the transmission because you are turning the input shaft at consistently higher speeds and the oils will not be able to keep it cool as efficiently.

I think the belt wear issue is more likely correct.

Bob

I called a Polaris service tech a couple of days ago to try and get a definitive answer. He said that it's ok to use D2 (high) when your running around on roads and hard level ground. If however you are towing anything or carrying anything, or are "off roading" use D1(low).

What I forgot to ask is how expensive are the belts and how hard are they to replace? Does anyone here know?

Mine was warrantied from a dealer. Limited lifetime I think is the warranty. I think its up to the discretion of the dealer if he wants to cover it though. Anyway if you need to do it yourself I think they cost around 50 bucks.