• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Terrible Two's- E-collar time?

Rost

I can't decide if I should buy an e-collar or not. Last year, I was tickled pink of how my (then 1yo) lab hunted. We hunted mostly ducks and pheasants, and I can't say that I would have ever needed to press the button. Now that she's two, my pheasant guide buddy say's I'd better buy one, because things are about to change!

So, should I be shopping? Or do I wait until she really makes me mad?

I was so proud of my golden the first year we hunted (no e-collar). I (thought I) worked hard the second year to ensure success in the fall (no e-collar). The second year, second day he ranged on me and busted birds 50 yards ahead of me and my buddies (who had pointers no less)...my golden and I were the designated 'blockers' for the rest of the trip. I'm now committed to purchasing an e-collar asap.

I would be interested to see what others have to say.

Sorry I'm no help here...

Failin'

I personnally think it depends on the dog. Our golden retriever had pups 12 years ago now. 1/2 golden 1/2 chocolate lab. Several of them turned out to be great bird dogs and nobody that bought any of them ever used a shock collar neither did we.

Range and obedience around birds are basic issues. Use a check cord first so the dog understands what you are asking of him. Later you may want to use an e-collar to reinforce the commands. Most dogs get a little more enthusiasic around birds their second year.

mamohr hit it on the head... Teach range and steadiness with a check cord first and then re-inforce the taught commands with an e-collar. At one year old they don't usually have the confidence to range out to far from you and are generally hunting, but not for themselves... but now that they are 2 and "know more than you", they'll begin to hunt for themselves and as their confidence grows, stretch the limits more and more. Nip it in the bud now before the hunting season... this is where pidgeon work shines.

Do not just strap the collar on the dog and begin to discipline him with the collar when he goes out to far. You can really end up with a dog that won't hunt out at all, or worse yet sour on birds. Teach him the commands you want him to obey, introduce the collar slowly when in non-hunting situations to minimize confusion.

Good Luck!

Ken

hey Rost,

you should just get rid of the lab in general and start working on one of those GSP's your dad has haha j/k

what are you worried about with your dog? Ranging too far etc?

The only reason I have a collar for my dog is the beep and page but he his a pointer. I never need to shock him either but ive spent alot of time working with him.

If your worried about ranging to far, get a really long check cord 30-50ft and go out in an open area. (but not the field). The reason I say that is that I want the dog to know while were in the field we hunt not train. You want the dog to keep focus of where you are, but that should still not distract it from hunting.

Start walking in one direction until your dog gets its nose down or not paying attention to you. Make a 90degree turn and go in that direction for 15-20yards but dont say a word the entire time. Repeat this basically making a big square. Giving a big jerk on the check cord if the dog isnt following you. Your dog will figure it out soon enough that he can hunt on his own but it needs to stay close.

Repeat this proces 4 or 5 times for a couple days. I gaurentee it will keep your dog close.

This should help keep him in range or atleast it did for me. My dog is a huge ranger and gets farther ahead than what I prefer sometimes, yeah he holds point but its just not what I want, I want him closer.

If you want to get together and do some dog work, I can get ducks, pigeons and pheasant through our navdha club. We need to meet up and fish again sometime soon too!

I personally would never hunt a dog without an e-collar. I rarely have to use it on my GWP's but there are situations that even a highly trained and obediant dog just can't resist. I don't want to ruin any of my or my partners valuble time in the field I also want the ability to stop my dog NOW if I have to (highways, Skunks, Coons, Deer, fields you don't have permission on, ect..)

Just my 2 cents

I train with out a collar becuase you cant run a Natural Ability test , Utility test etc... with a collar on so I need my dog to be obediant with or with out it.

Your right though on the emergency situations, if these dogs are on chase or something and your near a road or highway it is nice to be able to have control over them.

Another factor I am considering is the fact that this dog will pheasant hunt about twice a year. Most of the time she will be sitting next to me on a duck slough or in my SUB with me hunting geese.

I'll just have to see how things pan out, I guess.

Rave, we should get together some time! Just give me a shout.

I too am a big fan of using an e-collar in the field. I hardly used it during my griffons first year of hunting, but I have a feeling he may need a few more corrections in his second year (time will tell). It is nice to have for those emergency situations.

Like Labs stated be sure you do the proper intro if you do get a collar. I made the mistake of trying a collar on my dad's springer in the field. He had never worn a collar previously and the first stimulation had him running back to me and staying at my side the remainder of the day. He was ranging a little too close that day. The springer is now deaf and the e-collar is the only way that my dad can call him back in. A nick at the lowest setting and he knows it is time to come back in. He is 13 and is now a retired hunter.

I would also stress Kens point about being careful with the stimmulation. I have seen dogs that are a few years old and never had a shocker on before and for some reason it freaks them out and they have no idea what to do. Younger dogs have less of a memory inplanted in the brain or something and can learn to respond positively to the stimulation. The earlier you introduce it to them the better I would say. the older the dog with no e-collar experience i would say the higher percentage the dog will be scared by the shock.

But in the long run it is unacceptable to have my lab range on me. The whole point of hunting with a lab is to have him work close in front of you back and forth to force the bird into flushing close to you. So I would suggest you try the collar Rost.

Then you can show your buddies what hunting is instead of "shooting" with those darn pointers. ooo.gif

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:

Do not just strap the collar on the dog and begin to discipline him with the collar when he goes out to far.

Well said. E-collars are a TOOL in training - not the one-size-fits-all fix. Invest the time training in the yard or in smaller, more controlled environments, and use the e-collar to REINFORCE what you have already trained the dog to do.

I'm also an e-collar advocate: about 5 years ago, an e-collar saved my GSPs life out in ND. She was hot on the tail of a winged rooster and was about to cross the highway after it while 2 cars we driving past us @ about 70mph. She finally hit the brakes on the shoulder of the road when I hit her with the collar (she wasn't obeying my commands to stop). 2 more steps and she woulda been a pancake.

Good luck and be smart about the collar!

Blaze