• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Decoy

What do you guys think about decoys. I have seen some pretty nice video shots of how well they can work.

Any thought on Buck or doe decoys and what times of the year they will work the best/worst?

I think it would be fun to try.

Thoughts?

Got a Buck for Christmas and I'm in the same boat as you!!I'm going to start out on opener with it unless someone has some advise when to use it. First time bow hunting so any pointers would be great!! I'm with you on the video, its like they work well. GL. Ken

Don't use a decoy in an open field on public land otherwise you might have have some poacher take pot shots at your decoy!

Tried it last year on public land while I was hunting in a ground blind 20 yards away from the decoy, and there were some boneheads taget practicing on a Wildlife Management Area where no promiscuious shooting ot target practice is allowed! No bullets flew my way, but the shooting was too close for my comfort!

Otherwise the biggest problem I had with my redi-doe decoy was trying to get it thru the brush and trees without alerting all the deer as the plastic body is pretty noisey when hitting branches and brush going to my tree stand!

I attatched my buddies doe tail that he harvested earlier and tied a spool of fishing line to the tail and when I'd give the string a quick tug, the tail would flicker back and forth just like a relaxed deer does when everything is cool in the woods with the deer!

Hope this advise helps!

Finlander! grin.gif

I've used several and they definately work. Only be careful when you use them. If your targeting a large buck primarily, beware, because what usually happened to me was the first old doe on the scene usually gets jumpy, stompy, and snorty... On the other hand, if you just want some action its a blast... I guess if I had to pick a situation, I'd say during the heart of the seek/prerut stage they can be the ticket. Other times I think it encourages deer to enter ag fields earlier, too. I've had some success with fishing line to a white rag on the tail. They definately need some movement and by all means keep it as scent free as possible (Scent shield, gloves, etc).

I've also read lots of good things about them but it seems like every time I put mine out, I never see deer. Plus they are a real hassle to get out quietly. Mine is one of those silhouette ones, one downside is that it takes a stake in the ground to put it out and when the ground freezes you're SOL. I'm contemplating getting one of those redi does also. I think a person needs to keep trying different techniques - calls, decoys, scents, to see what works for you. It sounds like when you DO get a deer to come into your decoy its good sport!!! smile.gif

I have used them many times out in a open field but not in the view of the road.I usually place them approx 100 yards from my stand and sit for the day.Here is how I usually use it.

1-before rut I place it out as a buck or doe approx 20-30- yards from my stand in a alfalfa field.At first the deer will be very carefull and then will approach or will just wander about.

2-During the rut,I place it in a open field where I know the buck population is high.I put the decoy out from my stand approx 100 yards,then I staple a sock to the rump and put doe in heat on the sock.I have pulled many a nice buck in this way.

One year after shooting a nice buck,I hauled it out and forgot my decoy.The next morning my buddy went to hunt the stand and the decoy had been attacked during the night.the body had numerous holes around the decoy,there was blood all around the rump area and in the snow.This buck beat the H--ll out of my decoy.DONT leave it out over night.

The other thing to do is to wear surgical gloves when handling the decoy to keep your scent off. smile.gif

They do work if set up right. smile.gif

Harvey -- One area I like to hunt has the deer coming out of a swampy area and then past my stand area and into the field. I just can't control which trail they will use to get to the field.

Would a decoy near my stand draw them a little close for a shot?

I will use a doe decoy during the rut with scent on it.I have not had real good luck with a buck decoy during the rut as I believe it makes the other bucks a little edgy.

I usually hunt field edges and will put a decoy,buck or doe out approx 20-30 yards from the field edge.This seems to help the deer come out a little sooner so I will get a little bit earlier shot.Sometimes they will come out early and it takes awhile for them to move closer to the decoy.Some come right over.

One year I had a buck decoy out a month before the rut in a open field and another buck came out and ran right to it.You never know.

I have not used the decoy within the woods enough to say what is working there.

I use mine sometimes at the start of the year and through out the season and for the rut with bow and rifle.

I use the Delta.Other ones I have hunted by are Flambeau and Mel Dutton.Montana decoy also makes one along with many others.I personally like the ones where I can take the horns off if I like,which I do during the rut.

Iam not saying cardboard is not good at all.I have never used or seen the cardboard models.My only fear would be on a real windy day or if there is a light drizzle on how long this material might stand up.I dont know,but if it stands up,then it should work for you just fine.

I would believe that sooner or later they might figure it out.But,I guess I dont know for sure.I just put mine out and let it do its job.It might scare off some but it helps to get the deer from hanging up in the edge of the woods until to dark to shoot.

Harvey Lee,

So do you suggest a Delta as a good decoy to purchase? I have never hunted over a decoy but would like to this fall. I bow hunt and gun hunt. I would be using the decoy on the edge of hay field the deer use.

For the month of October (in general) do you suggest using the decoy as a buck....and then starting in November take the horns off and use as a doe?

I will take the proper measures to assure the decoy remains scent free. And I will try the sock as a tail. But please share with us any other tips you may have...perhaps on placement of the decoy, distance from stand, factoring in the wind, etc. etc.

Thank you - F.L.

You just asked a question that has alot of different answer,with maybe no perfect solution.Here is what I do and usually works,but sometimes also will not work.

I almost always place my decoy so when a deer is down wind scenting,they will not scent me.So,I palce my stand at the oppisite side .If its a north or south wind then I will be east or west of that decoy.

As far as what type of decoy,I have always used a full body decoy but I know other people that also use the flat style.

I almost always face a doe decoy with its head facing away from me.Bucks will always walk around to scent check a doe.

When using a buck decoy,weaken one side of the antler or take one off.Now,place the non antler side towards your stand.A buck will usually approach the weak side of it.

Dominate bucks will usually come face to face with another buck.

Sometimes in the early part of the season if the deer have not seen heavy use of decoys,you can place several decoys in a group to calm the deer as its a more natural setting.

Bsfore rut,I will sometimes use as a buck and sometimes use it as a doe in a open field.During pre-rut then I will use it as a buck and rattle horns.

During the rut I almost always use it as a doe with a sock on for a tail with some sent.If I use it with scent,I only put the scent on a sock and change the sock daily as the scent can go bad.You dont want to put it directly on the decoy itself.

Another thing that will help you greatly is to pay attention to how the different deer approach the decoy and from what direction it comes from and how it acts.

If you hunting in a tree stand with a decoy within 25 yards from you its nice to get up another 5-8 feet to help remove any chance of that deer winding or spotting you.

When I rifle hunt with a decoy and place it in a open field I almost always have it 100 yards from me.When bow hunting with it in the woods or in a meadow it is always with shooting distance.

Remember this is only what has worked for me in the last 10 years.

Harvey Lee rocks!

Now I'd like to get a ladder stand, ground blind, bug suit and a decoy. After dropping money on the new bow I think I'll have to spread it out over a couple of years, but what great info!

Boomer

Its not up on the forum yet and wont be for a few days but we have a new forum sponsor for the archery page in Cabin Fever Sporting Goods in Victoria,Mn.Some time when your looking for some of your new archery items,give them a call or stop by and see them.They are a great bunch of guys and are very good with thier archery shop.Tell Jeff you are a FM member.They are located just west of Eden Prairie.