• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody has any news from Algoma / Lake Michigan ?

I have heard the bite has been pretty good out there so far this year. I too will be headed over ther the weekend of the 8-11th. I have a good friend who has a boat docked in the marina at Algoma. I'll let you know if I hear anything as far as depths/colors and rigs. Most of our bigt fish all hit j-plugs early then spoons later into the early morning. We fished 80-110 feet last year the first day and the the next day got on them in 60-90. The second day we limited out by 5:30 between 3 guys. I'm hoping to get into them again this year! Good luck!

Tunrevir~

Hammer, Thanks for the recent report. I can't wait to get out there this next week! First a few days of fishing on the Flambeau. Fishing magician, My buddy has his boat at the marina in Algoma. He is docked on the far dock next to the break wall were you exit the harbor. His boat is named the HOBBYSHOP. I would assume he goes by that on the radio as well. Looking foreward to some fresh salmon and the smoker is ready to fire up. We mainly fish the a.m. run and spend the rest of the day in the slip, have an early dinner ready the rods for the early a.m. and then hit the water about 3:30 a.m. Last year we fished till 9 one morning and the next we had limited out with 3 guys by 5:30! Pretty awsome fishery! Stop by and say hello if you have time! I'll be the guy with the faded navy blue mickey mouse hat on probably have a bud in my hand too.

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Sounds good tunrevir....

I go to a web site that your buddy posts on all the time. Hobbyshop always has good reports. A buddy of mine just got back from Algoma and he did pretty good. They caught some nice fish but nothing big yet. We don't really have a name for the boat but I will keep an eye out for the mickey mouse hat. We will be in a 19 ft Bayliner and launching it with a RV at the Algoma harbor. I will have a bud in my hand so keep an eye out for me.

Andy

FM,

See you this week. What channel you tune in on your radio? Baron a.k.a. Hobbyshop has a scanner so he is always monitering the radio traffic but I believe he has the radio on 16 most of the time. Good luck!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

a.k.a.(Randy)

I think the majority of us will be on channel 68, if not give a call on 16 and we can move on from there. There will be 4 of our boats on the Crib accross the river from the public marina. We will be in the Blue Crestliner Sabre with a soft Bimini and a 200 VMAX. Same as my avatar. Otherwise I can be found at the Pizza Bowl or Sunrise Cove after 10pm.

We are heading out for Algoma at 7 a.m. tomorrow(Saturday) and plan to be on the boat by about 1 p.m. Have to hit the hardware store and pick up a few things! Good luck! Be safe and tightlines!

Tunrevir~ cool.gif

Sitting at work counting down the minutes till take off at 7pm tonight! If I were to bring one bait, I still don't know what it would be. So many mixed reports of what is hot out there right now, might be a little tricky figuring it out but with 7 days to do so I would imagine we will. See Ya on the water

Cheffrey:

Here's some extra pressure - I'm counting on you to get the right bait combination all together for when we get there!

If I were you, I'd take enough tackle along to allow Russ at MG retire early, and to have your boat list seriously to the Starboard.

Good luck, and I look forward to actually meeting you face to face. We'll pull into Algoma some time on the 12th. My wife's seminar gets out at 3:30PM in Milwaukee. Then, I have to go get my boat out of a storage lot and do the 125 mile drive North. I hope to have good weather for an AM trip on the pond on the 13th. This should be interesting. My wife and I, plus my 4 kids tangling lines. I'm not sure if I'll be laughing or crying. I guess I just can't wait to find out.

If for some reason we don't connect by phone for some reason, I'll have the newer grey Ford crew cab dragging a 24 light blue fiberglass boat with a white top and 25 HP kicker on the butt.

Evntam, one thing I would bring is a glow ladderback J-Plug, its the only consistent thing I have heard. Glow spoons have faded as well. I have your number locked in my phone so go ahead and remove it. I will be doing the same with mine on the other board soon.

See ya there!

Thanks Cheffrey.

I removed the #

I once found some ladderback tape, where you can paste that on any lure. I'll drag that along.

I may go see MG at lunch time just to lighten my pocket a bit.

Don't catch em all before I get there.

Hey guys. Fished Algoma yesterday from 4-9:30. Went 5 for 8. The three we lost were all break offs on faulty equipment!!LOL. Anyway, the bite was actually pretty slow. Lots of Alewives floating everywhere and a bunch of cabbage floating so be prepared for cleaning your lines every 10-15 minutes. Colors were primarily green hotspots with glow/purple, glow/black/purple ect. Darker the better. The other three boats out had luck with blue flies on blue hotspots and a blue/prism flasher(don't know the name). Blue/glow ProKings have been my best spoons over the past few years and continued with a fish in the 1st five minutes but lost it to another 10 minutes later. Time to hit Gander I guess.

Water temps are in the upper 50's to 61 anywhere from 30fow all the way out to 150. We caught fish from 62fow to 93fow on riggers. 1 came on a dipsy and glow j-plug.

If you have any questions, I will be online most of the day working.

Ryan

Well we just got back last night. The fish really started to turn on yesterday. We managed to catch some really nice fish. Mostly salmon and one nice lake trout. Our best depths were from 45-80 feet of water down anywhere to 45 feet. Our hottest lure was the batman spoon. Anything that had purple on it seemed to work the best. We put together a lead core with 10 colors on it this year. It was by far the hotest rod in the spread.

It was nice to meet you tunriver out at the harbor.

Here are a few pic's. Biggest was 23 lbs.

p71011775hf.jpg

p70711703st.jpg

p70911724ux.jpg

We also got back last night. We fished from sat morning until wed evening. Fishing was slow the first couple days and then really picked up the last couple. Our biggest fish weighed in at 20.2 lbs and we got a bunch in the 15-18 lb range along with 3 nice steelhead and a bunch of smaller kings. Our hottest presentation was blue howie flies 22 inches behind opti enticer flashers in blue/chrome and blue/glow. We also did well on a moonshine atomic watermelon spoon off a dipsy along with glow needlenost spoons. We did good on dipsys 77 to 85 feet back and riggers down 35-57 ft. we also got a king off a rigger 80 ft down during the day. Lead and copper got a few but nowhere close to the riggers and dipsys. We also ran a few board lines with 2 oz of lead and a SWR pulling spoons and got a few steelhead to take along with a king or two.

It was a great trip and we couldn't have asked for nicer weather. There were some pretty entertaining moments off the water as well but you know what they say....what happens in algoma, stays in algoma. tongue.gifgrin.gif

Heading out tonight and be on the water early a.m. I"ll be back Sun night and post how we did .Fishin magician sounds like you had a great trip. Hope we can find a couple of those big kings..... Troutman2

We got back last night and the fishing slowed down over the weekend but we managed to catch a few,the biggest was a 12 pounder caught on a glow and pearl dodger and glow fly.All in all was a good weekend and we"ll be back again in mid august. Troutman2

I am lloking for a reasonable charter for the wife and I to go on around August 6 or 7. we will be in the door county area. If anyone is interested in a trip swap I fish Milleacs every weekend. The big eyes are smacking the cranks now. I would like to in the future trailer my own boat over the Michigan but need to outfit with riggers first. Do any of the charters let you pay per person or do you have to charter the whole boat?

Lab