• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tires

JohnMickish

Ok, I just picked up my first wheeler (1994 Yamaha Big Bear) and I would like to replace the tires on it so I have a few questions to you more experienced folks. This will be a work machine used mostly for ice fishing and pulling logs out of the woods. I doubt it will see much for gravel trails let alone any pavement. What do you guys recomend for a reasonably priced tire that will be good in snow yet tough enough to handle the woods? Can anyone give me an idea of the life expectancy of wheeler tires used in these types of conditions?

Thanks.

GBC Gators,ITP 589's,Kenda Bearclaws,to name a few decent priced,tough all terrain tires.The GBC's and ITP's are a 6 ply tire,and are a hard rubber compound that have a long life expectancy,and wear like iron.They are puncture resistant,and have excellent traction in mud and snow.

Since buying my Grizz this winter I've been reading more about tires and whatnot for ATV's and the general feeling I get is the ITP 589's are tough. There also seems to be some weakness with the new ITP radial Mudlites as far as the sidewalls are concerned. The price is much higher but yet they are still popular. What is the drawback with the 589's? Rough ride?

I'm in the same boat as the original poster where I need something for snow as well. What about the regular Mudlites?

Mudlights wear fairly fast as they are a softer rubber.The 589's do ride fairly rough at slower speeds,but with any tire with aggresive tread you have to give something to get something.

I guess I should have been a little more specific when I said reasonably priced , ITP's would be great but not at $100 a pop. I was looking at tires in the $50-60 range. Mr. Harvey, do you put your chains on the front or rear tires, or both?

I highly recommend the Kenda Bounty Hunters. They are a radial. They get awesome tracksion in the grass and are great full pulling. I have had them on my 700 kawasaki prairie for about 2 months now and i love them. If you ask me, i would stay away from the big mud tires because they rob so much power.

mnfishingguy

I put chains on the back only and the difference was night and day when it came to pulling my fish trap.I would start without a problem,no slipping.Last winter one day I pulled 4 portables with 5 extra guys and had no problems and thats with a 400.

One other suggestion,put the chains on with the v bars.

My tires on the 4-wheeler now are probably 70% worn and the chains helped that much.I got a new set of tires this spring for it so just maybe it will be even better but it doesnt need to be.

Ok, let me pick your brains a little more. I found this guy that sells ITP mudlite's for $209 on hsolist, free shipping. Pretty good deal I think. Has anybody ordered their tires off of hsolist? hsolist Item number: 4650725466

Then there is this, hsolist Item number: 4650923116, sold from a local guy. Does anybody have these or heard of them?

I think I'm leaning toward the mudlites but does a guy need the XT's to keep from poking a hole in them in the woods?

Thats a good price for the Mud Lites, especially considering the free shipping. (Nearly as cheap as my brother can get them with a dealer account) They arent a bad tire, but I have had rocks puncture them on the Soo Line trail. Then again, I've also had them go through Bearclaws.That is some sharp stuff! I've never had a flat yet with my ITP 589s though. My current 589s have nearly 6000 miles and still look good except for some rounded edges on the lugs.

The other tires I havent heard of, although they look similar to a tire I had on another ATV. The were called Mud Sharks. Made by Greenball but were pretty soft and wore quickly.

Most any of them will work fine for the type of use you described. Unless you get out and start trail riding its doubtful that you would put any significant mileage on them.

Be prepared though, many first time owners of ATVs discover how versatile and fun they are and end up using them far more often than they ever thought they would.

also when buying chains, make sure you get the ones that have the V CLEAT on them. they are made for ice and like said WOW what a difference i have a 2wd old honda fourtrax and pull out a 7 1/2 x 14 fishhouse with it. grip and go. ... paul