• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Sportsman Modifications? I can Help!

WAY2FAST

I have worked on a number of Polaris sportsmans ranging from 2000-2006... I have personally owned the following: 2000 Sportsman 500, 2003 Sportsman 700, 2004.5 Sportsman EFI, 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, and just purchased the 2006 Sportsman 800 EFI LE. I have installed winches, reverse over-ride switches, 3-way headlight mods, plows, tires, lift kits, almost everything. If it's advice you are looking for... let me know... I will be able to help.

Jon

Well alrighty then...you offered so I'll ask.

I have a 2005 polaris 500 ATP and there is one thing I would like to do.

Can I overide the reverse limiter without any damage other than potentially killing myself. I plow with it and since my winch is over the overide button I cannot lift the winch and back with power at the same time. I would suspect there are no issues but would not want to damage anthing. If it can be done HOW?

I would also be interested in the three way headlight modification.

I haven't played with the 3-light mod, yet, since I run other spotlights as well. So, I can't help ya there.

Also, I won't allow any instructions on bypassing the reverse limiter to be posted here, on this forum. If you find any help on the web using Yahoo or Google (hint hint) please be sure that nobody rides your machine since, yes, that mod could kill someone who is not familiar with your machine.

*wink-Wink*...I got ya dave!

But just in case anybody wanted to point an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly in the right direction that could not turn up the result's he wanted by searching I will post my email.

"neumanns @ tds . net" just remove the spaces

A link would be nice and save someone a lot of typing. In the email of course!

desperate, I did it on an old 94 300 but belief me it can be dangerous if you forget you have done it. Above all do not let others ride your machine without being made aware of it and do not resell or trade the machine with that alteration.

tripper,

Just riding an ATV can be dangerous in the wrong hands read an owners manual once. If you would like I could go into detail a number of things that are dangerous about All-Terrain-Vehicles. I would like to think everyone has a little common sense here. It is simply a modification allowing you accomplish the same thing as depressing the little yellow button. It is toggled on and off with a switch, allowing you to return your atv to stock. Fill us in on why you think it is dangerous? Maybe you could explain why, as adults (33), we can't sell or trade OUR ATV's in with this modification done to it. If you would like more details on this subject feel free to contact me at: [email protected]

Quote:

Maybe you could explain why, as adults (33), we can't sell or trade OUR ATV's in with this modification done to it.

Aside from the potential monetary liability you are subjecting yourself to....how about the possibility down the line of someone getting seriously hurt because they didnt know about it. Or how about your toggle switch that fails because it gets some moisture in it.

I'm fine with making all the mods you want to your own wheeler while you have it. But if you are going to modify safety devices, its in your best interest to put it back to stock before you sell it.

Macgyver55,

Great "What If Story", but what you are telling me, is that you firmly believe when a modification is done to something... whether it be a house, a car, an ATV... You should reverse that decision you have made and correct it before passing it on. Example.... Passenger Side AirBag Over-Ride on a truck. If we were to look at Topic of this Post... you will see I am here to help THOSE people that are looking to make a modification to their ATV from experience, not looking for personal beliefs. I am reading your post as if you are making decisions for someone else. Advice is one thing, but telling me what's in my best interest, is something I take offense to. Like I have stated before and will state again. Feel free to e-mail me on a personal level. I am here to help with advice and experience that I have on Polaris Sportsmans... Have a nice Day.

way2fast, I think your blowing this way out of context, all that was said, was if you do it, great more power to you, I agree its your choice.

However I dont think he is implying that your wrong for doing it, he was just saying that, be sure to pass it on, and note to somebody else who may be riding it, or buying it from you down the road that the machine is modded.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience to share with us, and looking foward to some more of your posts.

Quote:

.....what you are telling me, is that you firmly believe when a modification is done to something... whether it be a house, a car, an ATV... You should reverse that decision you have made and correct it before passing it on.

When it is a safety device you bet. You have no way of knowing who will be the owner down the line. If that mod causes an injury to someone who doesn't know about it ultimately it is your fault. What I gave you was some friendly advice. You can choose to take it or leave it.

Quote:

Example.... Passenger Side AirBag Over-Ride on a truck.

Your example is not relevant. This option is installed by the manufacturer so you would not have to worry about it. If you disconnected the air bag or put a separate switch of your own on it, then you bet you would be liable in the event someone were injured.

Quote:

I am reading your post as if you are making decisions for someone else. Advice is one thing, but telling me what's in my best interest, is something I take offense to.

Not that at all! Just some friendly advice, not meant to offend you a bit.

I for one appriciate the technical help! He is not doing this against my will or knowledge. He is only offering his Knowledge so that I can do on my own a modification.

The first modification is to allow all three headlight's to be on at the same time...I can certianly see the safty concern here, I mean really guy's common...How can ya avoid a tree ya cannot see! smile.gif Yeah I know this is not the one that concerns ya! wink.gif

The overide....Yeah I understand there is potential for trouble here. However for many practical applications like plowing it is a royal pain in the arse! If you own a polaris you know of what I speak. This is not a permanant overide...It is rigged in a way to be activated when practical, the truth is if you leave it activated at all times you lose your information cluster! Believe me when I say there is no incentive to leave it activated unless you need it.

I can understand the concern about disconnecting it for resale. Fine state your opinion. After all I'm the one doing the mod to my machine.

If you think what I'm doing is unsafe...Your right! there are risk's associated with everything we do. The unsafest thing I did was buy the machine, they are inherintly dangerous!

Let's all live and let live...after all this is a site where we all play with long stick's and sharp hooks on open water and although everyone that replies will wear there safty lanyard and PFD the vast majority of boaters don't!

Do you use THE LANYARD & PFD at all times!

If you don't hook the safty lanyard on your outboard every time it is running you are also rendering a safty device ineffective! wink.gif

As Rundrave said earlier I think this was blown way out of context. If you read my first post I said in the last paragraph. "I'm fine with making all the mods you want to your own wheeler while you have it. But if you are going to modify safety devices, its in your best interest to put it back to stock before you sell it." Thats all, simple and to the point, I'm not sure how someone could take offense to that. It was only my opinion, not a directive.

I'm certainly not getting down on anyone for doing it. That would be the pot calling the kettle black. I've been modifying and personalizing ATVs since there were ATVs. Heck, I doubt that most anyone here has done much more of it. I've never been without an ATV since I bought my first one in 1975, and have had a dozen models since then, often more than one model at a time. Most of the stuff you can buy today I had before it was even manufactured for ATVs. I made my first plow (for a three wheeler) cut out of a 35 gallon drum, and I had a winch on the front of my 3 wheeler back in 1982. I made racks before they came standard. Even my currrent ATV has a lift kit, 27 inch tires, winch, skid plate, bash plate, hand warmers, stick guards, third light switch, headlight screens, plow and some other attachments. I custom make winch mounts, skid plates and bash plates out of aluminum for my own wheelers and for "customers". On past ones I have done camshafts, boring cylinders, and other performance mods. So no, I don;t think I'd be the one telling anyone not to do it.

I'm not much a gambler so I just think from a safety standpoint its better to protect yourself from a future problem. More and more, in todays society of litigation, liability doesn't go away. Not to mention how bad I'd feel if someone were seriously hurt because of something I did.

But again, thats just my opinion.

There, you guys got your shorts unbundled now smirk.gif Sorry I couldn't load the site for awhile otherwise I'd had booted all ya outta here grin.gif Not really but, a lot of good advice has been posted here. You should hear the litigation suits against manufacturers of ATVs from people who'd you think would have "common sense"; many are from people riding in reverse, too. Make the mods for yourself but, it's wise to reconnecet to factory safety standards if you sell. Let's move on.

I have a ? for you. I have a 01 500HO It is hard shifting foreward to reverse and vise versa. If I shut it off I can shift it fine. It is like the drive belt is to tight. I use it for everything and this is my only problem. Any ideas?

Thank Keith

Desperate, Having had a machine that was mod. in that mannor I was only trying to advise you on some precuations that should go with it. I will stand by my words that it can be dangerous. Maybe I should of added, to anyone that did not know a safty device had been canceld out. I call it a saftey devise because it not only gives you 4x4 but also limits your speed in rev., which you already know. By all means if you want to mod. your machine this way go for it, there have been times I wish my current machine had that mod.

fishing tech,

It sounds as if you have a worn belt... Another good sign of a worn belt is creeping. I myself would take the time and remove the belt cover and have a degreser/cleaner spray handy... cleaning the clutches and housing will increase your belt engagement... If a new belt doesn't take care of the problem... you may need to have the clutches aligned... could be a number of little things holding you back.

There are a number of ways to get all 3 headlights to work.

My suggestion is to use a diode.

I can not explain here... but if you e-mail me personally, I can get you what you need to perform this.

TEAMTOPDOG at Yahoo . com

Thanks, is this something I can do? or do I need any special tools. I have been a auto tech at a dealership for 20 years so digging into something is not a big deal. I just like to have the parts I need and the time to do it. Thanks for your help. 1 more question. Will this help or take care of the shifting problem?