• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

will be going to look around for prices on bows

USPENAMC

Good Morning, I plan on getting into archery and plan on looking around for good prices anyone recommend any places around the twin cities where i could go and look around.

Types of Bows you recommend-brand-what accessories I will need?

I would also want someone to refresh my memory on how to measure the pull length i believe its called so i can at least know that much or at least around what lenght i need.

i heard mathews are real good and if priced right i would lean towards that I will be using my 40 caliber handgun probably and see how much i can get for it as a trade in.

Also i might look for a bow for my brother who is 13 years old i guess we can both learn together and i dont know how much he will be able to pull but my question is.

What is the minimum pounds you have to pull for deer hunting i will try and get him to pull alot more but still need to know

40 pounds is minimum for deer in MN.

Any of the new bows are good, just look around until you find one that feels good to you and fits your budget. You also may be able to find a good used youth bow for your brother, nows a good time, before the big demand this fall.

Good luck.

Hey Man, glad to hear you want to get into archery. You're Dave right?

Anyway, anyplace that sells used bows is usually doing so on consignment. That means the store shows them, but the owner of the bow still owns it and they set the price tag. I bought mine last summer at Cabin Fever in Victoria. They are right on Hwy. 5 west of Chanhassan. THey had several used bows. They gave me the guys number and I called him at home. I talked him down aout $30. Not bad. I paid $240 for a bow that about 5 yrs old.

ANyway, since you're an archery newbie I would go and shoot as many bows as you can. Find the one you like the most and then work on prices from there. Try to avoid Gander Mtn. Cabin fever is great for their service, but their new bow selection is small cause they are small. Sportsmens warehouse in Coon Rapids is pretty good and so is Schaffer Archery in Burnsville.

Any good archery shop will measure your draw length for you and then you will know it. A good shop will help you without the high pressure sales tactics. Don't be afreaid to tell them you're new to the sport and what your goals are. If they know you're new they will teach you a few things.

LIke was said, 40lbs is the minimum poundage. You're brother will definately benefit from a used bow since he'll be growing so much in the next couple years.

USPENAMC:

I was in your shoes about 5 months ago......just getting into the sport of Archery....so I can relate well to your questions.

Draw Length: Any good shop should measure this for you...but to get an idea....just measure your wing span and divide by 2.5. That should give you a pretty good idea. Each shooter is different and keep in mind the type of hunting and hunting clothing you will be wearing....you don’t want to get a draw length that is “perfect” while shooting with just a t-shirt....but once you put on all your hunting cloths..you end up getting string slap against your cloths....etc. A good pro-shop will point all of these things out to you.

Draw Weight: I think most average people pull anywhere between 50 and 70 lbs. I went with a bow at 70lbs...but have backed it down to about 65. Draw weight depends a lot on your strength.....I wanted 70lbs but soon learned that 70lbs get to be a lot if you are shooting several times over a long period of time...so I just backed down the limbs to a point where it was a little more comfortable and easier to control over a long period of shooting.

Accessories: Oh my lord...we could spend days talking about this subject. You will basically need to purchase an “arrow rest”, “sighting system” and “release” to get started. The choice of arrow rest depends a lot on what you are using your bow for...hunting, 3D or just plunking. There are a TON of choices...and pros and cons to each one. Drop away rests are really popular.......a lot of people who use their bows to hunt also use a Whisker Biscuit arrow rest....(love saying that...I am so immature).

There are tons of different sights.....I think it comes down to what works best for you..and what you are using the bow for...hunting, 3D..etc. I got one with 3 pins that use fiber optics.....good for hunting and low light.

Again, there are tons of different releases....try them all and pick the one that feels best for you. I must have tried 30 different ones before settling on the one I bought. Good luck.

Oh yeah, you will also need some arrows....again, there are a ton of different types on the market. Talk with people...do your research and you should be fine. I use carbon (Gold Tips XT Hunter 5575)...I like them a lot...but I have never really used anything else.

As you can see, there are a lot of different things to keep in mind when getting into this sport. Do your research.......there is a web site called hso_archery_forum that I found very useful...its worth checking out.

Good luck in your search

Cliffy.

I will second Cabin Fever sporting goods in Victoria.I have sent several people there to buy a bow and all have been very happy with the experience.Very good shop,staff and supplies.They will help you when you first get going to make sure you are adjusted right and form is correct.

As far as how many pounds to shoot.Just remember when it gets cold out and you have been sitting in a tree for 2-3 hours,you will get a little stiff and 45 is easier than 70 to pull back.I will shoot 65 in warm weather,and when it get colder,I will drop to 50 and re adjust my pins.Easier draw when needed.