• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HS Hockey

Hockey Guy

I can't believe Holy Angles lost to Apple Valley! I was watching a HS hockey report on FSN a month ago and they said Holy Angles was the best team in the state by far. I hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Gophers.

Any given day....... it doesn't mean that Holy Angels still isn't the best team in the state, it just means that they weren't that day... the same goes for the Gophers... they seem to be the best team right now, but we will see what shakes out.

That was great to see The Assembled Angels Lose.

The small Braemar rink really hurt AA "Assembled Angels" plus AV really has some talented kids there not deep but they have 2 or 3 division 1 prospects and a good goalie.

It should be a great tourney....I'll take Jefferson at this point.

It looks like Buzzys Lakeville North squad will make the tourney again, although it's not the worst Lakeville North team to make the State Tourney they are a poor team, it sure is nice being in the worst section in the state..... frown.gif

I moved to Lakeville 2 1/2 yrs ago and have zero allegiance to them at this point, however when my three year old boy and one year old daughter lace up the blades it will be a different story. grin.gif It's hard for me to follow H.S. hockey being out of H.S. for 20 years this year and having no older children in the system. Go Gophers! grin.gif

i'm taking hill-murray right now, especially with holy angels out. hill has a pretty good roster with strong seniors like Bryant Skarda and Brian Arrigoni and some great younger players like mike hoeffel (thank god he's going to the "U") they are my fav at this point but i'm still a little sad that holy angels is out of it because they always bring a lot nice looking female fans.

Quote:

they are my fav at this point but i'm still a little sad that holy angels is out of it because they always bring a lot nice looking female fans.

Dont worry, If Blaine makes it to State, they have a lot of good looking feamle fans! grin.gif

Grand Rapids finally made it to the dance last night. They beat Cloquet for the 3rd time this year to advance. It has been 15 years since the "halloween machine" has been to state....sometimes the northern teams will suprise you!!

15 years? Talk about since 1960 something for Thief River Falls to make it to the big dance, but its only Class A though! Great game last night, 3-2 TRF over Warroad in 4 OT. TRF dominated, I mean DOMINATED the whole game. Shots were close to 54-22 in favor of TRF. Great game to watch. smile.gif

I graduated in 1991 the last time that Rapids was at state. Some pretty good talant then. In 1990 we had even a better team (5 division 1 players on the squad)that lost to Roseau in the finals. I see they put the kaibosh in that. Rapids faces the Roseau/Moorhead game in the first round. No more northern team finals are possible. Rapids had a tough schedule this year. They are fairly deep and have excellent goaltending....so you never know. Good luck

I have been watching the tourny for 35 years now and im ready for a 3 class tourny.

1-class-A

2-class-AA

3-private schools

Im tired of all the recruiting and building of some teams.Let them play thier own tourny.

Go anybody else.

Harvey,

Your sentiments are heard often about private schools, but let me ask a couple of questions.

There is one team that will win at the end of the year in each class. What does it matter if that team is a private school or public? The amount of winners and losers, success stories and dissapointments are the same. If it is to separate out some of the successful schools to allow less successful schools in, doesn't it kind of weaken and water down the achievement of winning, when you may not have played the best. Or is it just the image of the "rich and privileged" private school kids that bothers you, like so many others. If it is, look at the facilities of the public schools like Blaine, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Eagan and compare to the facilities at Cretin or Hill Murray and then take a inventory of the cars in the student parking lots and ask yourself who is privileged.

Also, do you think with the open transfer policies in the state now there is not recruiting going on in the public schools?

For full disclosure, I did go to a private school with a very successful athletic program and have coached in some summer leagues with public school kids. The recruiting does go both ways. Every year, there is a transfer to Hopkins by a bball player, a hockey player to Jefferson, a football player to Eden Prairie or Wayzata. Do you think it is because one school has a better math curriculum?

Sorry everyone for going off on a rant and getting off topic but I personally have never really understood the distaste for the private schools. The playing field is a lot more level than most people believe it to be.

One last question,...If you were a St. Paul kid with a talent for hockey and would like to become the best you can be. Where do you think would be the best place for you? Como? Humboldt? Johnson? Hill Murray!?!?

That said....Go Cretin

Ah heck let the private schools play in their respective classes, then it feels that much better when the public school beats 'em. Trust me I know this from experience. True, private schools beat up on publics, but it is awesome to see the public schools stand up to private. Go Grand Rapids... Wahooo.

Public schools rock!!!!

Fishyguy

Iam only going to respond to this once as this thread doesnt need to turn into a arguing forum.

It seems to me that over the years many of the private schools have benifited alot from open enrollement policies.Sure,others have also.

I have always believed in a one state champion tourny,right or wrong.With open enrollement it seems that some schools benifit more than others do.Yes if I am in sports today and need to be seen and noticed I may want to transfer to a school with a winning program.And yes,other schools transfer in students besides the private.It seems to me that the private schools benifit more from these programs.

I dont agree with the open policy,even though it might be good for academics as alot transfer for the sports programs.

I thought that the reason kids go to school was to learn and not put so much on winning games,but I personally dont believe that is happenning today.I dont believe we are all so blind to think that no schools go out and recruit for thier sports programs.And yes,I believe that you can be the best that you can be without going to another school.If you are that good someone will notice.

I would like to see a rule change where you may transfer to another school,but you have to sit out of sports for a year.How many would then transfer and what would happen to some high school sports programs then?

Today we see to much of win at all costs and forget everything else,and some teach thier children that.Thats to bad for the kids.

I dont care who wins the games as long as everyone is on the same playing field.I believe we need to teach the kids today to play the game for what is and try to do your best.I dont believe in building any program by means of recruiting from other schools or kids changing schools just to win a championship.And yes it does go on IMHO.

I know that the policies wont change and all will continue to be as is,so I will continue to cheer for anybody other than the private schools and yes,that is a bad deal for some kids,but they chose to transfer.

There are currently a lot of rules in place that try to prevent or deter kids from open enrolling to other schools specifically for sports. There are a few loop holes in the system, but for the most part open enrollment rates have lowered.

Private schools have an advantage when it comes to this because the open enrollment policy does not apply to them in the same sense because they are a private institution and this is how they get the advantage, unsanctioned addition of good players.

Private schools are more able to acquire talent which makes them more competitive. Kind of a crappy deal for public schools.

At times I wish the private schools would have their own division to play in and other times I don't. Its a pretty touchy issue with a lot of people. I really understand what Harvey is saying though.

The Indians played terrible. They were much better VS Roseau and HM. It is really too bad they couldn't make it a game tonight. CDH is not as good as GR made them look. In the end I have to give credit to Cretin for the state title, as much as I hate to do so. I guess now that hockey season is over it is time for all ice sports to be done with...bring on the open water and fire up that Mercury! grin.gif