• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heavy Snow Warning!!!

Tom Linderholm

Just a heads up as I sit at work right now its piling up on the North Shore, 8inches expected by 6pm. If you are planning on coming up this weekend the roads are getting pretty nasty but trail reports from yesterday prior to the snow were great. So take care in your travels and if you are planning on hitting the shore call ahead as resorts are pretty well full in the area.

I was up Friday mid day. We put on 225 miles in the Floodwod area. One word....AWESOME! First time in many years I had snow coming over the hood on groomed (before the snow) trails. There had to be over a foot in many places. Hardly a sled anywhere and we were the first ones down nearly every trail. Rode another 267 on Saturday over by Longville, but man were the sleds out then. They need some grooming now, but the timing sure worked for me this trip.

Did a 150 mile loop on saturday in Wisc.

Started in Radisson rode north thru

the flowage to Cable, Namakondin (sp),

Clam lake, south to Loretto/Draper and back

to Radisson. trail conditions were good to

very good (some excellent). Fire roads were

completly snow covered as well.

I will be in Duluth tomorrow night....running the N.S. trail Friday from Two Harbors to Lutsen...and staying in Lutsen all weekend!!! grin.gif

I was up in Cloquet riding last Saturday (put on 150 miles), and the day before it snowed 10"....was perfect timing!!!

Everything I have heard is the trails have been great...Be aware though that with the snow comes people and makes it much more dangerous up on the NS trails. Another person died last week from a head on near Silver Bay. Please use caution.

Yes , please be careful on the trails up there. There is alot of ice under that powder. Almost every corner is icy . My wife and myself went up to our cabin by Lax Lake last Saturday morning . Arrived to a fresh 7" of powdery snow . On our Sunday ride we were riding out of Silver Bay on the trail by Twin Lakes when we came across the emergency vehicles on Co.5. They were parked where the trail crosses 5 . We noticed the lights first and then 4 sleds parked side by side on the trail right before the intersection. They barely left enough room for us to get around to head back to Lax Lake. These 4 were just spectators. All of the emergency crews looked like they were going the other way. There has been alot of people up there lately and it seems that the way some of them ride it's starting to get scary . We've come across people stopping there sleds in the middle of the trail near corners . I kept thinking someone is going to get hurt . We did'nt even know that someone had died until we got home . My mother had called because she'd heard that it was a guy from Cambridge and was worried that it was me . Everyone ,please be careful . Stay on your side of the trail. Obey signs . Watch your speed . Even 50 mph is just nuts on some of those trails . Stay sober while riding . Wait to drink when your done riding for the day.

First we were in, then we were out of the snow now we are back in again and it is snowing pretty good. Haven't heard any predictions lately but they were talking 5 - 7 around here. I'm hoping so........ Last weekend was great, this will make it some of the best riding we've had in quite a few years. Groomers should be running tomorrow.

Mike

Going to the Orr area tomorrow. Sounds like they got 6 to 8 inches this week. Really looking forward to doing some riding in the Voyageur Natl Park. I was a dock boy on Kab. when I was a kid. Can't beat the scenery in that area.

I'll report snow conditions for that area Monday.

It seems like that always happens. Maybe they got more north of you, but it seems around here they always say we're getting a storm and supposed to get 4-7 inches or whatever. Then a little later they say it's going to be 3-4, then they say 2-3, but we actually only get a light dusting. It's very frustrating.

Here in the Voyageurs area they called for 5-7" last night - we didn't get any but we don't really need any either! We have a good 10-12" base. Arrowhead State Trail was groomed last night as well as the Ash River-Kab and I. Falls local trails. All are in good to very good condition. The lake riding is awesome too! Please take the advice of the previous posts - stay on your side of the trail, use some common courtsey and wait for the cocktails until you're back at camp. This sport is too much fun to waste it all with accidents that coulda, woulda, shoulda been avoided. Happy trails!

We put on 330 mile Friday and Saturday on the Arrowhead trail and surrounding lakes. The trails were in excellent condition all day Friday and most of the day Saturday. They were getting a little beat up in the Orr area Saturday night. Nothing a groomer can't fix. Most of the trails we were on had 10 to 12 inches of base on them. I only saw dirt were there was logging activity. We ran into some tuff streches on the Arrowhead trail between Kab and Melgoerges do to the trail being plowed for logging.

Sounds like the weather is suppost to be in the 40's most of this week in this area. I hope the trails hold up for a couple more weeks.

Todd

We were up at the cabin again friday night . When we arrived ,I was a little disappointed to see that there was barely an inch of fresh snow . The trails were nice regardless . Some of the loose snow from the weekend before set up on the icy spots ,but some did not. We went to a bar in Finland for supper on Friday night and there was a couple of groups of riders there . Before we left I could hear the guys talking at the bar. One guy asked how far they had to ride ? The response was "down the road a little". Then the question was shot back and the response was "Ely". I looked up and these guys looked a little on the extra brave side from sitting at the bar. I was sure glad we were going the other way . I hope they made it safely. The trails were busy Saturday , so we decided to get the afternoon and evening bite out on the lake. Sunday we rode and the snow started to fly . By the time we left at 3:30pm there was another couple inches . I see they are forcasting some more snow the next couple of days . Oh Yeah, I waited until we were back at the cabin for the beer .