• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which release?

cliffy

A few weeks back I posted a question on this forum and you guys were very helpful....and now I have another.

Just to clarify, my choice of a bow has changed from my first post and I recently became the owner of an Switchback XT (30 70lbs). Well, I have not actually taken possession yet, just one more lay-a-way payment and she is all mine. Santa was very good to me..and I hope to have the bow in my home by the end of Jan.

Anyways, I have picked out all the add-ons but I am sorta stuck on which release I should get...I have spent the last week or so shooting a wide range of releases. I sorta like the releases that fit more like a glove rather than a strap. The one that feels the best is a Tru Fire Hurricane. The only problem is the fact it seems to only come in a med/large size...and I have rather large hands.

What releases do you guys use and why? What are the benefits of say...a buckle strap versus a velcro strap...or glove v. whatever?

Thanks.

I have a Fletch Hunter that is over 25 years old and not only is the release still perfect, it is worth noting that Fletcher is still in business. A couple of years ago I bought a Scott Mongoose with the leather strap. I like the buckle better then Velcro because hook up seems more definite. One thing I never liked about the Velcro fastener was that on a few occasions while on stand when I went to draw the bow, the Velcro made noise. For this reason I always drew my bow at least one time before heading to my stand so things could settle in.Many good releases out there but I am happy with the two I mentioned. Good luck! Go to a Pro shop and try as many as possible if you can

cliffy,

I shoot a Carter 4-finger release and I'd never go back to a "trigger style" release. If you ever get up to the archery club over noon (in Fargo), I'm likely to be there. You're free to check out my release if you'd like. I've switched several of the club's best shooters over to this style release. Give 'em a try.

I personally shoot the Hurricane buckle and I love it. It is my first but it does the job for me. Its adjustable in the ways I need and its turdy and quiet.

I'm not sure what you mean by large hands, but I usually wear an XL in gloves and mine actually seems large on me. I have plenty of adjustment left when I'm wearing winter gloves. I actually have to pull all the way to the second hole when I'm not wearing gloves.

Try to find a bigger size if they make one. Otherwise, see if a proshop can recommend another release that is similar to the Hurricane. After spending ~$900 on a bow setup, I can't imagine the price of a release is gonna bother you.

Thanks to everyone...lots of good info. I never thought I would have such a hard time nailing down which release to buy.....I thought this would be the easy part....compared to the decesion on which make/model of bow to buy. The price of the release isnt a big issue...I am so deep into this thing that a extra 75-100.00 isnt a big deal (cant believe i said that).

Scoot: Where is the archery club in Fargo? What is the cost of membership or usage?

Thanks guys.

I totally agree with WB about having a second release. I lost mine on my way to my stand in Nov. Fortunatly I was going out for an evening hunt and was able to backtrack in daylight and find it. One of my zippered pockets just happened to be opened a bit.