• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's not even a STICKER!!!!

Steve Foss

this is odd, if you buy from a DMV, they are stickers, and I believe they have 06 for the year. but if you buy from a license dealer, which includes bait shops and gas stations, they do not stick, but they give you a piece of sticky junk that you have to apply, plus the stickers say 05 and are blue. maybe nexy year they will get it right confused.gif

Well... after all my b*tchin and moaning, I finally had to pony up the cash.

My EXT needed registration renewal and picked up the trail tax sticker with it. Not a fun little check to write out when that sled only gets used a handful of times in the winter for ice fishing.

BTW- 2008 Permits are Red in color, 08 Trail Permit is Red as well. Little bit better than green I guess. Oh! And mine were stickers. grin.gif

I'm glad mine was red and a sticker. It matches my new sled I picked up. one question I have. It sounds like they have a three year trail permit and the one I got is a year only. I saw my buddies sticker and the one under his headlight was dated 08 and mine was 06???

Bushwac-

Pretty simple. You can only get the 3 year sticker when you renew your sled registration, or register your new sled. If that sled has current MN stickers (whats the date on your reg. stickers?), you would have to buy the 1 year sticker.

Hanson,

That is not correct. You can buy a 3 year sticker at any time if you buy it at a deputy register (lic center). Some of them are telling people that you have to buy it for only the time left on the sled registration but if they check with St. Paul they will find that incorrect. Been there done that go around already.

Hanson- I don't have the regular sticker yet. I knew the dealer would send in the registration but wasn't sure on the trail permit so I picked one up on the way to the dealer. It would have been nice to have a three year sticker because odds are when I get one next year it's going to be some non-matching color of my sled.

Jeff,

Negative on the 3 year at any time, here's the quote directly from the DNR HSOforum...

"A $31 three-year sticker will be available beginning October 1, 2005.The three-year permit can only be purchased in conjunction with a registration."

Unless you have a new sled or your registration is due this year on a licensed sled, you get to purchase a yearly tag for $16 until your next registration comes up, then you can pay your $48 for 3 year reg., and the add'l $31 for 3 year trail tag.

Then I have 2 sleds with nonvalid stickers on them then. I know that when I picked mine up the supervisor of the DMV called down to St. Paul and was told they could issue 3 year permits. Two of the three sleds I have expire next year but they have 3 year trail stickers on them. Two of them are red and one is green too.

Geez, this would not surprise me one bit, Jeff. They make us believe it's one way or the highway....give us tags to put on our sleds that aren't even stickers.. They are really moving fast to try and get more cash out of our pockets.

Interesting they allowed you to do this after telling everyone else it can't be done, even in writing. smirk.gif

It doesn't matter, but I have a flashy baby blue sticker on my black sled and a green 3 year sticker on my other. Anyone want to trade my blue for a green? LOL

Jeff,

Wow, I am gonna be majorly ticked if it ends up that i could've gotten the 3 year mad.gif (i have 2 sleds that dont come up for re-reg for 2 more years). I am gonna call the DNR and find out what they say, and if say they can sell 3 year tags anytime what do you think my chances are of getting a new 3 year tag for an extra $15????

I'm going with O chance.

I have a green 1 year I need a red 3 year or 3 separate 1 year stickers in blue if that does not work 2 blues and 1 yellow or 1 orange "2009", 1 red, and a yellow. If I have to I can get by on 1 red, and 2 yellows for the time being. But I would still be in the market for 3 reds or......

I'm willing to take hit on this and will pay a surcharge to anyone who could help.

PM me and we will talk shop....serious inquiries only please.

Thanks Pier..... wink.gif

I tried to post their response yesterday but the forum was all messed up and it didnt take.

Jeff, consider yourself lucky. I called and was put thru to the licensing dept at the DNR. I was told that DMV's are only supposed to sell the 3 year trail tag when renewing a current registration. Until then you must purchase the one year tags.

He said that my "friend" "better not get caught with them", but when i asked him why and how would they catch it? he had no answer.

He said that the stickers were green, and then switched to red paper on Dec 13th (which might explain why you have 2 different colors if you purchased them at different times).

With this years weather, it is ending up being a waste of money.

Hey guys, Can you buy a trial pass wherever fishing/hunting licenses are sold or do I have to go to the DMV? I have one of my sleds hooked up but I got the three year deal with registration. The other sled I didn't plan on running this year on the trails but it looks like I am going for a weekend now. Just wondering if I need to get to the DMV last minute or if I can buy it at my local baitstore?

Thanks

I just read through all the postings about licenses and "stickers". I've got the same complaints and my hope is someone with some horse power with the DNR/DMV reads all these and can get through to the bone heads that make these rules and let them know what a major pain all these things are. It could be so simple if they'd use some common sense. Did I just say common sense while talking about a government dept.? What was I thinking?

I got my hard house license and spent about 15 minutes trying to peel the back of like years before, until I realized that was not going to happen. I finally decided to go with the two screw mounting "option" onto the side of the house. I put the license inside a ziplock baggie to help hold it in place, fully expecting to come back and find only ripped up remnants hanging because of the gale force winds that are common on Mille Lacs. To my surprise, it's still there as of last weekend. I still plan on bringing up a can of spray glue and make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

As far as the sled "stickers" go...I've got six sleds to keep legal. (How smart am I? Wish I could get paid for being stupid or ugly would be good too.) No two sleds are the same color. There is no good place to put all these little government control dump items on the sleds. As a minnie protest, I used to place my registrations on the side of the windshields because the cowlings are full of factory decals. At least they could give us a color option on the state decal! As far as the trail sticker goes, I think they got the idea of the two piece, fumble in the wind, twenty step action to get the thing on your sled from Mich. and Wis. example. All my sleds have studs in them. I use studs as much for braking and good, safe control as I do for hooking up on take off. Studs prevent more damage than they create!!!! Yet, I'm punished because I might ride on a paved trail! So what? Sportsman provide huge amounts of money to the state coffers wether by sled registration, hunting and fishing license and there is a great cross over between the sports. Why aren't the cyclists and rollerbladers made to help pay for the trails they use too? The majority of them do not stop at the little, local establisments to buy refreshments or pulltabs to help out financially. They bring their bottled water, granola bars, etc. and do nothing to help pay. Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with riding bikes or blades. Let's open it all up to everyone. Even ATVs. I just want everyone to share in the load.

I want my State of MN to stop being the NO FUN STATE, and start realizing that simple is good.

Thats true, all the sticker money is going to the clubs and grooming. The trails around where I go have been groomed a total of 3 maybe 4 times this season so far. They missed a few weeks. What do they do with the money thats left over. Who has records of costs totals for all money used and not used. Some where some one has to keep track of where the money is going. Just a point here, over the last 4-5 years, how were the clubs making the payments on the groomers? If they were'nt making payments on them, REPO. I know how much a few of the groomers cost. So how long to pay it off? after it's payed off do they stop charging for the sticker? NO, it goes on. Instead of getting "part" money from the license, now they get a FULL 100% increase, they should pay the groomers off alot faster.