• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To buy new or used???

rundrave

Hey guys, looking for a little input. I really need an ATV and I have been looking for a Polaris Scrambler, or possibly a Polaris Sportsman. And please, I don’t want to hear any garbage about why I should buy another make model etc. as that is not my question. I have done alot of research reading reviews, test driving etc.. several other friends and relatives own Polaris 4x4's already that have held up to everything, and then some. I have ridden other models, and the Polaris 4x4 seems hard to beat in my opinion.

I have had a tough time finding a good deal on a used one, and not sure if I want to take a hit (depreciation) on a brand new machine.

I have been searching classifieds, hsolist etc, and nothing has just jumped out and said that I need to buy and time is running out.

So what to do, new or used? Keep waiting and possibly find that machine that has been hardly been used, by some old guy just so he could cruise down the end of the driveway to get his mail. Or just go out and buy brand new off the show floor, get a warranty and have the peace of mind that the machine hasn’t been beaten to death or not taken care of (maintenance) properly?

Thanks for your input...

Personally, I went new with both my machines. Both 2004.5 model Polaris Spotsmans. A 700 carb and a 500ho. Both dressed in snazzy Mossy Oak camo. grin.gif

I went new for the "peace of mind" you spoke of. I have bought used in the past and have ended up with someone elses headaches. The low mileage "creampuffs" are few and far between. If you hold out for one of those, you may be thinking of open water instead of ice.... My humble .02...

If you do your shopping, right now you can get some awfully good deals this time of your on the 05 models. I've boughten both of my Honda's this way, and have saved money like you cannot believe. Don't let the "sticker" price bother you, both of my dealers went much below the posted price... Good Luck

Quote:

There's a difference in buying a used Scrambler and Sportsman, too. Would be a good bet that any used Scrambler was "used" a bit harder...
grin.gif

aint that the truth lol

the sportsman would make a great ice fishing rig, and good for plowing snow which I need. But the scrambler is a little lighter and is a little more mobile, and not so heavy.

Its a family tradition for us each year that once the big sioux river freezes over, we get a big group of guys and ride 30-40 miles on way up or down the river. Start at one destination, and ride to someplace far away, takes most of the day for us we tend to hill climb in a few spots, and horse around bit here and there. Stop for a steak dinner as it gets dark, and head for home. Usually an all day event and always a blast. should be soon I hope! So the scrambler works well for that, otherwise it would be a sportsman hands down.

again thanks for the advice, will post if I end up buying something, hopefully soon.

I don't own a wheeler myself but I often borrow one and ride with friends. A couple of the guys I ride with run the lighter two wheel drive machines and in my experience they get stuck less often than the guys with bigger heavier 4x4 machines. It appears as though you already know this though based on what I've read. I'm just here to back you up that just because a machine isn't 4x4 doesn't mean you'll be stuck everywhere. I actually prefer to ride the lighter 2 wheel drive machines myself. If you do get stuck they are so much easier to toss around and get unstuck! I have never been ice fishing with a wheeler so I guess I should mention that. Maybe 4x4 is necessary for fishing but I use my snowmobile for fishing! Good luck shopping around. I've been a casual shopper for a while and good used machines are hard to come by.

Quote:

I don't own a wheeler myself but I often borrow one and ride with friends. A couple of the guys I ride with run the lighter two wheel drive machines and in my experience they get stuck less often than the guys with bigger heavier 4x4 machines.

I'd have to believe if they "get stuck less often" its only because they know enough to not try going where the 4x4s can go and the many of the 4x4 guys keep going until they can go no longer.

On the subject of new/used: I'm personally leaning towards a used wheeler, though it's hard to find a newer, low mileage rig that's been babied. That being said, a machine that's a year or two old probably hasn't been hammered too hard, and they're built to withstand abuse anyway. Living in the Cities, a "hard wheeler workout" for many guys around here is having to climb up the shoreline after ice fishing or drag a deer half a mile back to the cabin. Lots of life left in those machines. Sure, there's a risk of buying anything used, but you can also find a new lemon too. The $1500 savings off a new machine is a reality most of us need to pursue to make it happen...translated, it's easier to convince the wife on a $5K wheeler than a $6.5K rig! wink.gif

Magguyver,

It's actually a pretty sore spot with the 4x4 owners that the little 4x2's can go through the same stuff as they can. We all ride the same mud holes and trails to the next stop.

confused.gifconfused.gif Rundrave didn't really say what he wants the ATV for so 2wd may work for him be it used or new. I won't bother to argue about which will pull more or go through more. In 30 years I've owned a dozen ATVs from three wheelers to sport two wheel drives, to my 5th and current 4 wheel drive. I'm very confident about what either will do. Been many places no 2 wheel drive will ever see without being towed. Also climbed hills I wouldn't even try on any 4wd. Both have their strengths and weakness'. Your personal experience is surely the opposite of mine but I wouldn't want to drag around a fishing sled with 2wd or go jumping moguls on a 4x4.

well considering both the scrambler and sportsman, are 4x4, should answer that.

The scrambler is just a better fit for what I will use for. I need a little bit of everything.

1. Has to be able to push snow, must be a 4x4.

Again sportsman would be a better ice rig than the scrambler, but the scrambler is a better sporting rig.

Pros and cons to both.

Not gonna join the 2x4 vs 4x4 debate. Hands down I need a 4x4 no questions asked.

Dave,

I asked the dealer about the belts, and pushing snow with the Scrambler. I was told that the tires would slip before the belts would, so it shouldnt be an issue?

Obviously the sportsman is still better for plowing because of the gearing, but I have been told by several people that currently own them, as well as the dealer that they put blades on scramblers all the time and never had issues.

Just wanted to hear another opinion.

Thanks again for all the feedback, should be any day now with a new toy in the garage.

From my brief expierience with a polaris atv "if" you tax the belt in high range you will have belt issues.And this does not mean that other belt driven atv's will not have the same problem without a low range,because they will ,if pushed to hard.I have seen belts in high range slip numerous times,when they should have been in low range.

Yourbobbersunder,

Thats an average deal. Miles are a little on the high side for a 2003. I buy and sell used atv's and find lots of nice used ones. Check to make sure it shifts fine and check to make sure the 4x4 is alright. Also let it run for a little while to make sure of no smoking. Ask for what kind of maintenance it has received; Greasing,oil changes...

Good Luck!