• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Action hunting photos

Here's a few (in the blind) shots from a morning at the end of last week. I take a lot of these type of shots as this is what most editors are looking for when it comes to wanting Duck hunting photos. We were not shooting at birds... they were just set up shots. Let me know what you think about these...

11120500010pp.jpg

11120500024sa.jpg

11120500037hx.jpg

Here's where the story gets interesting...

I never have anyone to take photos of me, so I've decided to start teaching my buddy Richie how to take photos. I gave him the camera and he took about 20-30 pics when all of a sudden in sneaks a pair of Mallards on us. You can see one of them in this photo on the left side. I actually ended up squeezing off two shots and by He** I missed with both of them. Oh well, caught me by surprise.

11120500052sa.jpg

I like the first one the best Tom.

Great silhouette and a pretty nice composition as well to the photo.

The photo in the blind with the dog is alright as well but I think it is too dark.

Speaking of getting your buddy to take photos of you, I've been working with my dad as much as I can to get him to be a better photographer. I don't shoot with digital yet so I have no clue how the photo will turn out while in the duck blind or on the ice. We take a bunch of shots and hope 1 or 2 is to my liking.

It is very difficult to describe to someone how you want the picture to look and have them turn out alright. On duck hunting opener, we shot a roll of film and there was only 1 photo that met with my approval.

We'll get there someday.

Tom, nice silhoutte work.

Hanson, that's not actually too bad a percentage. National Geographic photogs are famous for shooting many dozens of rolls of film on a single assignment — and end up with a handful of shots actually printed with an article.

Steve-

To be fair to my dad, I don't think I'm the most photogenic subject in the world so I get pretty critical about how photos of me look. Its probably 50/50 as to photographer vs. subject being responsible for the bad photos.

Photography is becoming very appealing to me and hope to pursue fairly actively in the future. I'm not sure if the budget will allow for the cameras and lenses that you guys are using but a basic digital is definitely going to help me out, as well as my dad.

Tom - I also vote for shot #1...and you better smack those mallards when you get the chance! HAH!

One note on the dog shot: the hunter is aiming to his right and the dog appears to be looking to the left. IMO, it would've been a great shot if they were lined up better and you could see that lab intensity staring at the sky.

My $.02

being a former film shooter who went 100% digital i'm enjoying this web-site as well as the forum- your photos are good but need more work- but with what i've seen so far you will have your "eye" in a very short time- please keep up with the good work as i'm enjoying your images--

Quote:

your photos are good but need more work- but with what i've seen so far you will have your "eye" in a very short time

Please do not assume this to be defensive, but I'm interested in your opinion as to how the photos needed "more work". Did you perhaps mean that they are not the way that you would have shot them...? I got exactly what I was looking for out of the first two. The third one was just something I thought was cool because of the composition. The fourth is not my photo, but I liked it as I never see myself in action. I would be happy to listen to any advice you might have, but for you're first post to be an insinuation as to my skill level in photography is just a little bit questionable. I hope to see some posts from you soon that might show me how I can improve (That is not sarcasm either--I have been learning and getting better since I started). I am not a professional photographer, (though I have sold a bit of my work), nor have I ever claimed to be one. I post my photos so that others might enjoy them. I don't mind being critiqued either, but there is a difference between informative critique, and what appears to be a difference of photographic opinion. A photo is never more beautiful than to the person who took it. I don't know who you are, or what you do for a living, so I appreciate the comments that you made as to my possibly being good at this one day, but if you would, please give some explanation to your statements (why they are not right) so that they are informative from a learning perspective and not perceived as derogatory.

Thank you

Tom W

Tom's work needs no defending. As with any shooter's work, it stands on its own.

I believe press angler is critiquing Tom's work based on what pressangler sees as good photos. Regardless of his or her experience level it seems a bit condescending to me to talk about the "work" Tom needs to do without clarifying and explaining the angle pressangler is coming from.

Tom's photos don't always speak to ME the way they speak to others. But sometimes they do. And my photos don't always speak to OTHERS the way they speak to me, but sometimes they do.

So, pressangler, I'd be very interested in having you clarify your position. Are you saying Tom's photos need more work before you like them (I noticed you like the tight shots of his dog's eye somewhat better), or are you saying they need more work before they reach a standard of whatever publications you are associated with? I'd also be eager to see some of your own work posted here. If you think Tom's images need work, let us see some of your images you think are where Tom needs to be going. We generally don't critique each other's work here, or at least in any substantive way (on this site we tend to be more interested in having fun and encouraging others), but I believe anyone who is dedicated to seeing the world through a lens should be willing to listen to how others see the work. I'm as willing to hear thorough and experienced critiques of my work as anyone.

Being a a journalist myself (Grand Forks Herald reporter/assigning editor, Duluth News Tribune city editor, Ely Timberjay editor/photographer/page designer) and a nature photographer, I'm also interested in your work experience. Not that that has anything to do necessarily with the credibility of your critique (each person has his or her own eye), but I'm always interested to compare notes with colleagues. I may in fact know you.

Also, two FM boards are rife with Tom's work. Especially the bird watching board. Have you viewed all that work before forming your opinion? If so, that's fine. If not, aren't you rushing to judgment in way frowned upon by our discipline?

Blaze,

That would have been great except that dog doesn't really watch for birds all that well. What he does do though is look up when someone points a gun up. That photo might have been better suited with a little fill flash--however I was trying to do silhouettes that morning, and was concentrating more on the morning sky. I just liked that one! Personally, I kind of liked the way it turned out. It isn't quite a silhouette, but it doesn't have that "fakey" flash look to it either. You are right though, it would have been nice to have the dog looking at me as well.

Tom W

Steve,

Thank you very much for the kind words and the boost of confidence. It is not everyday that someone will speak there mind for the sake of another. I think you did an even better job at getting to the point that I was trying to get to. I don't feel bad and my feelings/ego wasn't hurt from his opinion--I just wanted an explanation for his opinion. Are they technically wrong--I don't think that they are. Are they improperly exposed--I don't think that they are. Are they out of focus--I don't think that they are. Is there anything at all wrong with them--Not by me--I liked them all. Might he have shot them differently--you betcha. Might he have a different opinion--you betcha--he might hate silhouettes. I knew what I wanted out of the morning's photos and I feel I got it out of the first two--someone else shooting at the same time and same location might have done something altogether different and as you stated--that is what makes a photo "speak" to the viewer. Again, thank you for speaking up for my work.

Press Angler--for the record man--I'm not mad at you, and I don't think you meant to be derogatory--I just wanted you to elaborate a little on your opinion, and I hope you do.

Tom W

i agree with stcat here, i love toms pictures i look forward to them everytime i come on here, he took some pictures of ducks the other week and i have them posted as my wallpaper on my computer,(i hope that is ok tom)his images are so crisp, and original, i dont have a digital but i do take alot of wildlife pictures with the good ole fashioned canon (since its all i can afford(college student)) i wish i could take pictures like that, i think tom is quite the artist

Pressangler,

Nobody accused you of stirring up a hornets nest, and I speak for myself and possibly for others when I say that you are welcome here. I'm glad to see you posted. I'm glad that you obviously have some sort of photography background or at least what appears to be a photography opinion. As I said before, I thank you for the positive comments, and I look forward to not only more of your comments, but possibly learning something from you. I would just like you to back up your opinions with information. I don't need you to post photos as proof, but I would like to see some of your work. There are a handful of us here that consistently post photos and we all enjoy it very much. There are many others who don't post photos that also enjoy our efforts very much. I look forward to you becoming a part of this. Please do so. It is very possible that you aren't even a photographer, but like Steve said possibly an editor or someone else in the industry who could very well help us. I would love to have someone in the know helping me out with advice--but it does need to be advice. I sure hope you understand, and Welcome to FM.

Tom Wilson

Press-its good to see a familiar name on the web. Assuming you are the same Pressanger I know. You probably know me as "Sport" on another page. Welcome To FishingMinnesota.com I look forward to seeing a few of your pictures posted on here as well. And as the guys have stated, your more than welcome here, any advise you have is welcome.

i must say, that I am a huge fans of Mr. Wilsons work. I do not have a trained eye, I just know what I like. So I am very interesed in what could be better about it.

For whatever its worth, I don't pretend to think its worth much, I personally think that Tom Wilson and stfcatfish take awesome pictures and I really enjoy seeing them. I didn't think that post for a first post in particular was much of a contribution, but I am not much of a photographer so I don't know enough to know. I just like and enjoy you guys' pictures a lot!

I also appreciate the photos guys. I wish I could take some more like that but too often I find myself with my gun in my hand instead of the camera and then it is too late. Do any of you have an opinion on a good, relatively cheap, digital camera that would take good pics while hunting? I have no intentions of your level of work, but something that will be reliable (I would greatly prefer a camera that takes AA batteries....I hate rechargeable in a camera). Right now I am using a $100 35mm from about 1993.

Oh, any suggestions for good pheasant hunting pics? I have all the "holding dead rooster" pics I need. Any tips appreciated.

I apologize for being too forward on my first visit to this forum and especially apologize to those who took afront to my unfortunate choice of words- it wasn't meant to be an acid wash of anyones photography skills- and as i said previously- i enjoy your work- i've been an outdoor writer and photographer for almost 20 years now and should know better "before opening mouth and inserting foot"- "sorry'

No problem Pressangler and I wasn't looking for an apology. As stated, I didn't think you meant it that way. Please keep coming, and it sounds like you definitely might have advice that I would not only like to hear, but would appreciate.

Tom W

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Welcome aboard pressangler.

We'd like to see some of your work in the action hunting topic.

That's what this thread is really for after all.