• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Typically first ice is the end of November to early December.

Thompson can be one of the better first ice lakes in the area. Good number of walleyes are common, but most are on the smaller side. There is always a chance for the fish of a lifetime throughout the year. The perch usually start biting around Christmas time and the pike can be had throughout the year as well.

I am usually one of the first to hit some of the shallow bays on Lake Thompson and then am chased away by the crouds after about a week or so.

mw

What are some of the techniques you'd suggest for getting some 'eyes on Thompson this winter thru the ice? Not from around here and have never fished it, caught one little walleye from the shore this fall and wouldn't mind getting away from school for a day and catching some more of them, thanks for the help! Good fishing

Thanks for the info. I was curious because I live 2 hrs south and we are hardly ever on the ice prior to Jan 1. What a difference the 2 hrs makes. I take it that Thompson gets super crowded in the winter which surprises me, but it is good to see that so many people are into hard water. Ive really gotten into it in the past few years and hate to say it, but I almost prefer it. Hope to see you guys up there in few weeks. I'll be praying for ice

Fished south of the state boat ramp on Sunday. The ice was 2.25 inches thick where we drilled our first holes. Went over to the old east boat ramp and went out about 400yds. the ice there was 5 inches thick. So be sure to watch for thin ice no matter where you are fishing. We only caught 1- 17 inch walleye and no other bites.

Thanks, with this cold weather, hopefully the worries will subside. In Nebraska, we had about five inches as of Sunday. Hopefully, by this weekend, there will be a few more. I need about 8" of ice for comfort.

fished thompson today from about 2pm to 6:30 pm, got skunked, talked to one other guy, he caught one fish all day.

Ice was pretty sketchy for me, i didnt venture out to far, ice seemed consistant at about 3-5inches, was pretty messy out there today with the warm weather. Be careful out there.

I fished Thompson from Fri. pm to Sun. am. It was very slow! Fri. night I caught 3 keepers and Sat night I caught 1 keeper. A lot of time for just a very little bit of action. I think it will be quite a while before the ice is safe to drive on. Also seem to be slush under the ice after drilling your hole.