• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Otter Lodge-Bench or Seat?

Orvis

Question

Receiving a new Otter Lodge this weekend for my Magnum sled.

No seats yet.
Which is better...the bench or seats?

Can I use 2 lawn chairs until I purchase seats or a bench?

Thanks for the input!

17 answers to this question

Orvis- do yourself a favor and first check into getting a couple of boat seats from any marine dealer in youre area. Most dealers have very comfortable seats that are odd-balls or are just sitting around for some reason. I have an Otter shack and when I checked into the prices of the Otter seats i almost cried. I went to a local boat dealer and he dug around for awhile, then came out with a very nice folding seat from a bass boat that was sitting around for awhile. He charged me 20 bucks, much better than the 75 for the uncomfortable Otter seat. I just welded up a quick frame and screwed the seat on it and wallah-comfort.Just my 2 cents.

Dog-Eye

I did a similar thing. A co-worker of mine had just sold his 14-foot boat, and he still had a couple of those clamp-on seats. I took the clamp portions off, bolted each seat to a sturdy board that spans across the width of the sled, and then I secure each seat assembly with bolts through the top edge of the sled. Total cost, about $25.

One other thing, if you use the lawn chairs inside, you will find that you may not have enough room to comfortably fish 2 or more people. The only area you can set the chairs is in the flat portion of the sled bottom, so you lose a couple feet along one end of the sled.

It will work, but you'll definitely want to figure out some type of seating arrangement.

Cashcrews

Yes you can use two lawn chairs in the lodge. I am 6'2" 240 and my cousin is about the same. we fit in with elbow room. Yes you loose a little room where the sled is curved up but not two feet. the whole sled is only 6 feet.

I dont think the otter seats are uncomfortable, in fact just the opposite. Seems like any of the guest's i have taken out LOVE the seats and rave about them. If you dropped 600.00 for the tub,tent,cover,hitch.....whats another 150 for the seats designed for the sled? Just my .02 Iceman out>

I did the exact same thing as Dog-Eye did. I went to Mills Fleet Farm and bought a new seat for $25 bucks. Got the metal for around 20 so pretty much made two seat for the cost of what it would have cost for one from otter.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
[email protected]

Hey Dakota, that $150 is 1 less ice fishing trip I can take in the winter-seems to make sense to me.

Remember; if the women don't find ya handsome-they should at least find ya handy!

Dog-Eye

I tried to print off the plans for the "Butt Bridge" - only about half of each page of the plan shows because it prints out in such a large format-I have tried a number of different printer settings and still the same result - any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

i have an otter lodge and a cabin. made seats just like the aluminum ones you can buy they swivel. bought a bench for the lodge and love it !!! this year put one in the cabin two and sold the ones i made. tony

Just fished in an Otter Cabin tonight with the bench seat. The seat was awesome. Stable and very comfortable. It also flips up so you can get to your stuff in the sled. They are expensive but I think they would be worth it.