• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Be careful where you step

That reminds me of a time during high school when I was out walking through the woods next to a meadow on my grandparents property. I was walking on this trail and apparently a deer had bed down a few feet off the trail.

I didn't see the deer until I spooked it and it bolted across the trail right in front of me. Literally I could have reached out and given it a hug as it ran by it was so close.

Another second down the trail and I would have met my end by being run over by a deer. It scared the dump out of me, I swear I must have jumped 10 feet in the air.

Nothing like seeing nature up close and personal.

Memorial Day morning, my dad had a couple guys shooting his archery 3-D course. They shot the wolf target, walk up to retrieve their arrows, and about 6-8' away is a baby fawn bedded. They got out of there and my dad went back and took a pic or two, then shut that target down for the day. A co-worker saw a fawn last week that was still wet from birth laying on the edge of a blacktop county road. He went over to "shoo" it off the road and it had a heck of a time, up and down, up and down. Once it was down in the ditch he left as the doe was near by. Pretty cool stuff happening this time of year.

Brian

Nofish- your story reminded me of something that happend back in High school.. I raced CC Ski, and we had a race at highland park. Anyway we are standing at the finish cheering on a would be finisher and he gets taken out by a deer. Totally just ran him over!. Broke his skie poles and everything. After we found out he was ok.. I laughed till I cryed...

Grouse hunting a couple years ago in NC Minnesota almost got run over by a forker that was trying to get out of the way and circling back from where we jumped it, swear I could have reached out with the barrel of my gun and bonked it on the head it was that close before it saw me. We both stopped and did the eye popping thing to get away from each other. Still makes me smile.

Circling around some brush while shore fishing when my cousin & I were probably in junior high, I was in midstep & stopped about 6" short of putting my foot down right on top of a bedded fawn. It never moved other than the eyes, nostrils, & possibly the ears a bit. At first we thought it was dead, but it was just hiding. Very cool, we just backed up & circle around it, never did see the doe. It's one of those things you never forget.