• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Largemouth Bass '05

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense to corey but matt johnson is the absolute king of that kind of photography. he has never had a picture on this site when the fish was not compltly extended away from his body and the fish did not look as big as possible, I wish I had his photographer, my photographer took a picture of a 30 inch eye on millelacs and half the fish is in 2 pictures, fish was released.

Quote:

no offense to corey but matt johnson is the absolute king of that kind of photography

As Homer Simpson would say... DOHHHHHH

I've met Matt, he's good people so I won't give him any playful grief.

Note to Matt: If you want to catch Crappies on a small southern Metro lake let me know while the bite is still good! Me and Beef46 have been slaying them the last two springs up to 13.5, some 11 & 12's, and alot of the 8-10 inch variety. I'd be happy to take you out on my boat for a weekday evening from say 6-9ish.

caught it on a jumbo leech under a small bobber with no weight... just let the leech swim near the top! works well when they are finicky biters! it followed my spinner bait and a rapala without attempting to bite before i switched to the finese tactics... here is another pic. dont know what it weighed or how long it was didnt have a tape frown.gif

1000701medium6kf.jpg

Yeah, the bass in that pit usually hit live bait alot better than artificial until the water starts warming up sometime like the first week of july. Youll get alot bigger ones on cloudy days too.

ok sledneck... now you have peaked my interest... where are you from and how often do you fish in my back yard? maybe we could meet up down there and exchange tips. i have caught some huge bass in that pit as well as some pig northerns. last year I caught a bass on a 9 inch sucker minnow that had to go 7 lbs. i have caught and weighed them that were over 6 and that one was the biggest by far. I didnt have a camera and thought about keeping it but couldnt do it. caught it straight accross from town along the rock wall. whats the biggest you have caught? last year the biggest northern i got was 39".

Ive caught them over 40" in there. Bunch of big bass, pretty much anywhere there is structure, no real secrets. Atleast you let them go. The "dude" we all know with the ford truck and the bathtub like boat apparatus seems to keep about 6 5lbers a day out of there.

so where are you from? not to many people know about those fish in there. i keep a few now and then but let the big ones go. a couple 2 pounders make a good meal and that pit is the only place i will eat the bass from... with the cold clean water they taste great

This one weighed in at 2lbs. 8oz.

DSC_0002.jpg

This one weighed in at a hair over 4lbs. No, I didn't bite her head. Looks like she was hit by a boat prop or something just prior to me catching her.

bass01.jpg

Nice photos AJ, very clear and colorful. Nice bass too!

Could I make a frendly suggestion? Maybe hold the fish more with some support under it's belly. That way it don't look like all that weight is supported by it's bottom lip. No offence intended.

That one with the gash in it's head. What else could have done that?

Quote:

That one with the gash in it's head. What else could have done that?

I have no idea... here's a couple of more photos that show the injury in closer detail.

bass.jpg

bass03.jpg

Quote:

I was thinking the same thing DT. Give 'er a little support underneath.. Nice Ones!

Thanks! smile.gif

Still workin' on my largemouth pose and have begun supporting their bellies during the photograph. I guess I wouldn't want someone dangling me up in the air by nothing but my bottom lip. *ouch!*

Not really necessary to support the belly if you hold them a little more vertically.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it looks like the lower jaw is about to snap on those fish...

Again, just a friendly suggestion. A bass' jaw wasnt designed by nature to hold its bodies weight in that horizontal manner.

As far as the wound. Most likely a bird like a blue heron.

They scan the shallows and attack downward on fish.

A snapper would have a heck of a time getting on top of a bass and chewing on its head.

Awesome pictures SFG! I like the way you guys catch the big fish and yet don't need all the fancy boats with matching shirts and team sponsor logos plastered all over. Congrats, those are some HUGH bass!

NICE! Looks like some of those pics are at night and you got your shades on....that's sweet. Do you get measurements on those bass? They all look around 20". Keep catching them! Good work.

I caught a 6.5 lb largemouth the weekend after opener on a purple buzzbait on a local lake . My dad has a 7.2 largemouth on the wall right next to his 6.0 smallie .. Smallie was caught on Mississippi River and the Largemouth was caught on a Brainard area lake