• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First pup question

Granny

Three days ago we picked up our first yellow lab pup and she is 9 weeks old. We have been keeping her in a pet carrier at night and during the day while at work until we can make a little kennel in our basement tonight. When we put her in the carrier she will bark and whine for about an hour at night and who knows how long during the day. How long will it take her to get used to being alone in her new place? I am going to pick up the Water Dog or Game Dog book this week and start the basic training.

Thanks in advance,

Granny

scumfrog had a good post. You could also put in the kennel something that has your smell on it, maybe a shirt or an old jacket. We like putting a soft toy in the kennel with the pup, so it feels it has company. At night, if you cover the outside of the kennel with a towel or blanket the pup seems to settle down more quickly.

Just my 2 cents.

It seems to take forever for them to get used to the kennel thing, especially when you want to be sleeping. My 11 mo. old Britt is finally perfected it. The first two months she'd bark and howl for an hour. Since then, she'd bark three or four times once she'd been put in the kennel. These last few weeks she's not made a peep. Finally!! You gotta stick with it and don't cave in. But a word of advice with the kennel you build...make sure they NEVER are able to get out by themselves. Once they do, they'll not stop trying. My last Britt figured it out and never quit until the day I put her down.

I absolutely agree with the don't give in statement. If you do it once pup will associate whining with let me out. They will think they can get their way if they whine or bark enough.

Jeffrey, my 9 month old GSP was a whining machine at night in the kennel. He slept all day I think cuz he stayed up all night whining. Sometimes, a good smack on the front of the kennel and a sharp,"Quiet!" worked. Now, if he's outside and barks, a "Quiet!" shuts him right up. I think he learned it right off the git-go and it stuck with him.

BTW- it took about a month for Jeffrey to totally shut up in the kennel. Now he's quiet as a church mouse and I can sleep at night.

I agree, I had a lab that wasn't in a kennel for the first 5 years of her life, then I moved and she had to go in one during the day. She soon figured out that she could pull the bottom of the kennel apart and get out. I had to put rail road ties along the entire base the fence and stape it to it. I would catch her pulling on the fence, but she no longer could get out. My 2 sence is to get them use to a kennel asap. So when they get smart enough to get out, they understand that the kennel is home...

I put an old shirt of mine in the carrier with her and left on a light and put on some tunes (country of course grin.gif ). Gave her a chew toy and a ball to play with also. Lots of work but even more fun!

Anyone have an old Water Dog or Game Dog book they don't use anymore and want to get rid of?

Granny

Granny, A suggestion that may help is when the pup whines or barks in the kennel smack the top of the kennel with a magazine or your hand that makes a noise she won't like. She might associate the misbehavior with the noise and stop, practically it may take a while for her to "get it." It's in my training book I have by a reputable breeder.

The only problem with smacking the top of the carrier is that its down stairs and we are up stairs. She only barks and whines when we are up stairs. Soon as we go down stairs she stops. I assume it will just take a little time. I can sleep through it most of the time.

Granny

Just a thought concerning "smacking" the top or front of the kennel...especially with a young pup. I assume this dog is going to be used in the field...careful not to associate loud noises with something bad, unless you have a silencer for your gun??

Good luck.

You might want to bring the crate or whatever into your bedroom with you. If the problem exists when you go to bed. They bark when they get left alone. Its just the way it is. They are sociable little animals and desire attention all the time. Don't bring it IN the bed with you. You'll end up like me, going out and buying a King Size bed for the wife and the dog while you try to sleep in the 12 inches left over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I probably won't be using it in the field but I don't really like smacking the carrier anyway. We thought about bringing it upstairs with us last night and we may do that tonight. I just don't want it to expect to always stay in our bedroom either. She is going outside as soon as it warms up. If she was house broken I might not mind sharing the bed but I don't like the thought of a wet pillow.

Granny

Respectfully, I disagree with the bring it into your bedroom thought. I'm not an expert so I could very well be wrong. My thoughts are, where the pup is supposed to be is where the pup should be. If you want the puppy to sleep downstairs, put it there. It will take time, but it will get used to it and shut up. If it's in your bedroom it will come to think that is where it is supposed to be. Unless it's OK with you to have the dog in the bedroom.

Just my $.02

I have a 14 week old Yellow Lab and it took about 3 days before she wouldn't make a sound when I put her in the kennel. And about a week of her whinning and barking off and on during the night before she stopped that. Now the only time she barks is when she hears a noise. It just takes time to get use to their new surroundings and new rules that they have to live by.

All have made good points. The best thing you can do it just be patient and she will learn that barking isn't going to get her anywhere. Smacking the crate or yelling at the dog might work but likely not. Whining and barking is done to get attention. Smacking or yelling is giving them just that. Just ignore the dog until it settles down and it will learn. Some dogs take longer than others. My lab learned in about a week. As stated if the dog will not always be allowed to sleep in your bedroom do not bring the dog in there at night.

Yep. It took our dog about a week to settle in. The radio helped alot. I think my wife chose MPR as that could put even the most left-winged meth addict to sleep. A blanket on top helped along with her favorite stuffed duck in the kennel.

Just keep the dog downstairs and don't make any visits. They get the hang of it eventually. A couple good hard evening training sessions really help also.

No offense but do you even want the dog????

Doesn't sound like your very willing to deal with it. Just want to keep it downstairs or ship it outside right when it warms up. Have you ever owned a dog before? Did you read any books before buying the dog so you knew what to do with it once you got it home?

Granny,

What a nice looking pup! Pups do take some time to acclimate themselves to a new enviornment. You may want to put her in the kennel after a training session as she may be tried. Reward her for going into the kennel(puppy treat and praise)and leave right away. Try and be queit when you are upstairs. Try to be consistent on the time you put her in. Pups learn so much at this time, she will quiet down shortly as long as you don't respond to her whining. The public library should have some books on training. Best of luck with your great looking pup.

Quote:

Dogs have no concept of time. So if you leave the TV on or maybe a small radio it'll think you still home/up. This works for me....

I must have a super dog, because my lab will go voluntarily into her crate within 15 minutes of 11:00pm every night. If we are doing something or watching something and forget to put her to bed all of a sudden you will hear her walk into her crate and lay down! All we have to do is remember to go downstairs and shut the door.

Granny,

Great looking dog! Ours is a little yellow female also. She is about 16 months old now and finally showing signs of settling down. Those labs have energy to spare. Our lab's favorite place in the entire world is her crate. Good luck with the transition to an "outside dog" That was our plan and we built a beautiful 10X12" cedar deck with a dog door into the insulated garage with a house inside of it, but she would much rather sit in her 2'X 3' crate, just because she is closer to us. We now have an "inside dog".

Yep, nice pup, we're picking up a yellow female April 22 the time can't go fast enough. I have two retrievers presently, once they get their routine and "spot" they will like it. They like cave like spots so with time you'll have your puppy happy to be in the kennel. It just takes time and patience. Easier said than done though, right? I was never any good at letting our kids cry in the crib and it's hard to let a cute puppy be upset in the kennel, it helps if the pups out of ear shot. Come the end of April I'll be asking for advise too, you'll figure it out though. We all want a quick fix but time and persistance will solve your situation. Congrats and have fun with the pup.

I agree with everyone elses posts... and to reaffirm what a couple have said... a tired puppy before bed is ususally a quiet puppy during the night...

I guess I got lucky.. my 10 month old lab mix whined non stop the first night for about 3 hours... 2 hours the second night and about 1/2 hour for about a week before he stopped all together...

He's outside now.. and we hold conversations from time to time at in the middle of the night... but it's usually after the neighbor's dog starts barking first, or a small animal runs through the yard.. anyway.. after our conversation he usually agrees to see things my way and grin.gif he's quiet the rest of the night

marine_man

Boilerguy,

I keep no copyrights on my quips, so distribute it freely.

My dog will retreat to her kennel/crate when my kids start bugging her too much when she's tired. If anyone messes with her crate other than shutting the gate behind her, she is not very happy. Make her think the crate is her own private retreat. It's a good place to go. We never crate our dog when we are upset with her. It's not a bad dog place, it's the only thing that the dog owns 100% of in our house.

Agree totally on the crate is a happy place.

Jeffrey, my GSP puppy had sugery yesterday. Now he has this drain tube thing in his side. To stop him from biting at the drain tube thing the vet put lamp shade looking thing on his head. When I got him home he went right for his kennel and is totally bummed out because his head won't fit through the door with the lamp shade on his head. He stood there and just stared at the crate door for about an hour.