• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crooked Lake Walleyes?

Ols33

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Someone else wrote this and I decided to put it up here.

Crooked Lake is a small 115 acre lake in the northern Metro area that was just recently stocked with walleyes. The walleyes in that lake are only about 9-13 inches on average right now, and not many over 15 inchers are even in the system at all. There is limited structure on the lake and the walleye spots are very, very easy to find. Not to mention that the walleyes are very easy to catch and congregate in good numbers as well (good numbers is relative to the lake and situation). I've fished Crooked Lake since I was about 5 years old, and I've never seen more than 2-3 boats on the lake at any given time during open water and no more than 5-6 fish houses during the winter. Since they stocked it with walleyes last year, I've been out there when there has been 25 boats and the one time I went out there this winter there was well over 50 fish houses.

Everyone is keeping those 9-11 inch walleyes, no joke.

It's very sad to see.

The same people come back day after day 9I say it's time for those in the area to keep an eye on those and get the DNR involved]. I'm telling you, these fish are very easy to catch and they eat just about anything you put in front of them. It's easier than a hot walleye bite in Canada.

The lake is never going to get the chance to become anything of a walleye lake because of it.

I'd bet ols33 is a local and is upset by everyone out there keeping the small fish.

Crooked Lake is no secret, and I don't think he's trying to keep it for himself, he's just likely upset for the same reasons I am.

People need to use their best judgment and let the lake thrive for a couple years.

I was so shocked when I saw 10 and 11 inch walleyes in the bottom of people's buckets when I went out there this winter, not to mention the 8-10 inchers I saw as well, and this is the honest truth.

This has been a big issue in my area and I've talked with several people about the same problem. A fight even broke out because of it a month or so back.

Crooked Lake is a popular shore fishing destination and a lot of kids go there to catch their first fish. Now we have a ton of jokers all over trashing the place and I've gotten to point where I don't ever go there anymore.

[Note from admin: Be sure to read forum policy and stay within those limits before posting on this subject. We don't want fights starting up here.]

I saw the same thing on Madison Lake by Mankato 2 years ago. An 1100 acre lake full of 10-11" walleyes and 200 boats on opener means an all out slaughter unfortunately. Stringers of 18 10" walleyes hanging over the sides of boats. Is it that hard too throw back a walleye for some people? Its almost like its against some peoples religion. Three of us kept about 10 nice 15-17" walleyes that day along with releasing about 60 of those 10" fish. I cant imagine filleting one of those cigars. I wanted so bad too say something too some of these people but i guess when it comes down too it theres really nothing i or anyone else could do about it.

Wow! I am not a person who actually gets to catch walleye very often (I blame this on skill mainly), but the one's that I do keep are at least 14" at a minimum. Do people not realize that walleyes that small are the future for the lake! How much of a fillet can you get off of that? Not much I'm sure! This really ticks me off, seeing as I just moved less than a mile from that lake and haven't even gotten a chance to fish it yet! I'm with whoever, to try getting regulations on the lake!

Wow. I'm for the DNR doing something about the walleye also. I'm for a minimum size limit on walleye if it will help fisheries. I hate having slot limits on some lakes but would a minimum size limit for walleye statewide hurt anything? I mean, they do it with muskie.

Gents and mabye ladies

My feeling are with the minimum size limit. I have grown up on the mississippi and never kept anything under 16". I moved to Duluth 2 years ago and finally got out fishing last summer. One of the resivors in the area houses decent numbers of walleyes, but nothing of real size *wink*. I hate it when I see people grabbing the stringer for fish that really don't belong there. The funny thing about a day I was out I saw such a case, when I pulled out the gents that I saw stringing those walleyes did aswell. They were complaining about how there are only little walleyes left in the lake. Well my buddy and I had caught several over 16", and only kept 2, dinner for the ladies and ourselves. one was 17" and 18" respectively. I pulled them out and there jaws hit the floor. I told them if they through the little ones back that they might have a shot at keeping something larger later. Then they insisted on that we tell them where we were fishing. Great thing was they were at the same spot as us. Oh did that burn them. Though they left with a stringer of little ones. I do find it rewarding that they didn't get anything of size to slaughter as well as all the little ones.

I think the Minnesota walleye fishery would BOOM in a few years if they put a limit on all walleyes. If you really enjoy catching for catching check out the Rainy River. I personally have never been there, but they have taken great care of the fishery with a slot limit, and guys actually complain about catching 20-25 inchers. Best part though is that not only are these fish plentiful, but it is commen to catch atleast 2 fish a day over 30". I'd say the entire state could reach atleast improve to the point where a 25" fish is common in the boat everyday. I think we should become active somehow to protect the walleye fishery of the state. Lets not just rant lets make something happen so there is no need to rant.

TO A GREAT WALLEYE FISHERY IN MINNESOTA!!!!!!!

Timbow smile.gif

Gunflint- what you propose would be ideal and has been done with a limited number of lakes. However the DNR does not have the time or resources to do this with any kind if justice.

I have never been to any lake in the state and felt a need to keep 12" Walleye's.

The DNR cant manage 20,000 lakes individually. There isnt a lake in the state where a 10" needs too be kept, and there isnt a lake in the state where a 22" fish needs too be kept. Its so stupid simple but some people cannot and will not throw a walleye back if its legal too go in the livewell.

Who said anything about keeping 12 inch walleyes? My point was lets be carefull about letting the legislature determining what our state fisheries need.

[edited out - it's not about you and no need to take it personal and start this thread downhill.]

This doesn't need to turn into a battle! Your taking comments personal. I agree with you in your idea. Relax and enjoy your weekend.

"Who said anything about keeping 12 inch walleyes?" It was an earlier post. Actually it said 9-11".

In my opinion This really is not about selective harvest preferences. My preference isn't even close to those numbers. It is about what is good for a fishery.

I agree that if too many small fish are removed from any system then there will never be any quality fish.

Lets keep this civil.

I said something about keeping 10-11" walleyes. One can only imagine the thousands of fish that size that were kept that year on the lake i fish. The DNR is never going too individually manage this 1,000 acre lake and 99.5% of the other lakes in MN. No one cannot honestly tell me that a statewide slot where something like only 14-18" walleyes can be kept with 1 fish over 28" wouldnt dramatically improve the fishing on almost every lake. This is what im referring too being stupid simple. This isnt rocket science. No one can convince me that in any case putting back smaller walleyes and bigger spawning females will hurt a fishery! Let me say it again, a slot limit forcing people too put back smaller walleyes and bigger females back in the lake will not hurt a fishery, it can only help it. And theres nothing wrong with a stipulation opening up the slot a bit during the warm months of July and August too cut down on mortality. I dont mean too offend anyone but this is something i feel very strongly about. And too the people that say "well only keeping the 14-18" fish will totally wipe out that population". No not the case. Think about it. If you didnt have a slot in place 99% of those fish would still go in a livewell. Those fish get kept reguardless of a slot. Look at Winnie just as a quick example, with that slot in place you've never had a better chance at 20" fish. All those fish were once under 17" and available for harvest but they all made it through. Once again my main arguement in favor of slots is that it will never hurt any lake too put back a walleye that is caught and you cant tell me that it helps a lake if thousands of 10" walleyes are kept or if a bunch of 20"+ spawner females are kept. Some people dont want too think about that though. They just want too be able too tell there work buddies they caught a limit of walleyes even if they are 11". Or they want too show people the 6 lb walleye they just caught. Nevermind that they probably have a couple other walleyes in the boat too eat without the 6 lber. Its not good enough too have the couple nice eaters and just a quick snapshot of the 6 lber too show off. Once again im not trying too offend people but i am saying it how it is and some people just dont like too hear it.

You're right BDR. I had'nt had my required dose of caffine yet blush.gif I have been thinking about the numbers though. I still believe that the DNR could handle regulating all the lakes in Minnesota, and here's how.

First of all 90% of the lakes are being regulated just fine, they made need an adjustment now and then but overall the DNR plans are working. That leaves about 1300 lakes spread out through the entire state that need to be looked at hard. If there are only 100 fishery employees that comes out to 13 lakes each. The sceince on fisheries management is known for the most part. So the DNR employees wouldn't have to restudy every lake to decide what to do. Just a thought.

Not to make you mad, or even say that the legislature needs to do it, but what are the problems with a statewise slot? Like it was said before I know many guys that keep walleyes just because they are in the legal limit. I am assuming that we all here agree to but back the little ones and only take what we need, or think we need. We all enjoy catching fish for the pure sake of fishing. The neccesity comes with the fact that there are people out there that feel the need to keep these fish just to keep them. By simply having a written rule a lot of people will but the little ones back. It is the fact that there is a athourity figure saying it that makes people return the fish. It doesn't mean that walleyes between 9" and 16" are to be the only ones kept the harvest can change through the season. This is all just one idea to produce a longevity of quality fish in the fishery. If not doing a limit change then what??? To me yes this sounds like the best option. History has taught us a little about over fishing. There isn't a body of water in this country that hasn't seen it. Lets throw other options out there be it leave how it is, change the limit, etc. Its worth discussing not beating up a topic because its unliked.

Timbow

I would say that we are all very close to the same side on this issue. I agree 100% that putting fish back in the lake can't hurt the fisheries. I think that if you sat through one of my weekly fish talks you would find that I am a strong advocate of cpr- selective harest.

Where we differ is on how we improve the overall health of the walleye population.

I believe in slots, where they are needed, and I believe that most fisherman are law abidding and aware of the bennefits of catch and release. But to allow the actions of a few morons to get politicians involved is a threat to our fishing future.

Many of the state legislators could not tell you the difference between a fish fry and a walleye fry(sp) or the difference between a largemouth and a smallmouth. Some are strongly connected to special interest groups like PITA, Humane Society, Freinds of the Boundry Waters, Sierra Club, etc. If we allow non-fishing politicians to make decisions on our fishing future we take it out of the hands of the scientists and biologists. How can that be good for fishing?

Remember before I get torched these are just one guys opinions!!!!

First of all, with the accelerated walleye stocking program the DNR is using I dont understand stocking walleyes in Crooked Lake in the first place. This lake will always be a "Put and Take" lake. That meaning there will be virually no naturally occuring walleyes in the lake. I personally would like to see the DNR use those walleye fry/fingerlings in lakes with a potential for natural reproduction.

On a second note, I do not think there should be a state wide slot, Some lakes just have LOTS of small walleyes, Lake Vermilion being a prime example. That lake is affectionately known as the home of the 1/4 pounder.

Sure, there are lots of big walleyes in Vermilion, but what hurts a lake more? A limit of 19" or a limit of 12"?

Cory Frantzick

Hey Rick, I appreciate your support, it is very sad to see all these people on the lake trying to catch small walleyes, they completely fished them out. I don't understand why so many people consistantly fished there.

gunflint

Man I hear you on not getting the state involved, but who says that has to happen. There are also more than a few morons out there that muck everything up for all of us. By having a blurb in the Regs. guide it would stop many from overharvesting needed fish for reproduction. All I really know is this. I am only keeping what I need to make a good dinner for my girl. Then I FEEL LIKE MAN *grunt* wink.gif. I guess if there is no logical way to fix what we view as a problem. All we can do is hope that people follow are example of selective harvest.

Timbow

Exactly what I was thinking. Having it say something like no walleye to be kept under 12 or 13" or something along that line. I mean, how much meat could you possible get off of a 10" walleye? It'd get lost in the batter. I bet the cheeks are really worth it too!

Wow, to me a 10" walleye is close to the same as a 10" perch! If I caught a 10" perch I would almost throw it back, I don't really consider them a jumbo. The smallest walleye I have kept was and ate was 12". I hooked him in the wrong spot and I also caught him in some deep water so it definitly didnt have a chance of survival. I feel better about cleaning fish like that than I do a 20"+ eye.