• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

legal for street

Gess

Anyone heard that you can license you four wheeler for highway use as long as it has blinkers and can go atleast 50

mph. I have heard from a few people that there is a rule change for people to do this. You must have street tires also.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this.

A "rule change"? You mean law? I don't think that's true. You don't need blinkers on a motorcycle, why would they make that law for an ATV? There's much more involved in making an ATV street legal, I believe.

We have been hearing rumors for about the last year about this. We saw a machine up towards Blaine. He had blinker and looked to be a motorcycle style plate. As it was a stamped plate. I have called the state abou it and they said they had not heard of anything but they said that dont mean it couldnt happen. They thought the machine might have to weigh 500 pounds though. So it made it sound like they have been hearing something on this. I am one that would be in favor of it. Thats why I thought I would post and see what everyone else had heard or there thought on this..

Hi All,

I just found this site while looking for a resort to stay at this summer I grew up in MN now live in Az,The question of Street legal ATV is not yet a law in MN or will be for some time when I moved to AZ I brought My Quadrunner with me and when I went to register it I was asked if I wanted it street legal of course I said yes this is what you have to do in AZ to be street legal,Horn,Brake Light,Left side mirror,M/C plates($85.00 per yr)& lots of Insurance most people out here do this to go through BLM,State Forest, and Nat.Park roads.

I hope that someday the DNR will take a close look at this it seems to work very well out here.

Just my $.02 worth smile.gif

Northwoodsdon, welcome to Fishing Minnesota and thanks for the info. I trust you found the "resort locator" link up on the top of the page. And, feel free to stick around awhile.

Thanks northwoods.

Seems like i need to move then...haha

Dave I wasnt taking offense. I just thought it would be cool also to get more out of my machine.. I help a lot of my freinds who Farm in Victoria and it would be nice to be able to drive the machine thru town rather then truck. Lot easier to get out into the field rather then beating my truck up. plus who dont leave the ruts this way.

Have a good day.

If this became true (like so many other fantasies...lead guitarist of a metal band...pro golfer...married to a filthy rich woman that waited on me...unlimited and exclusive fishing access to Pleasant Lake in North Oaks, MN), I would rush out and buy me 700cc tomorrow. The wife can have the 400. But like so many other dreams, I'm sure they'll be shipwrecked in heavy seas.

Yeah we checked. It gives me a little more but not a lot. I have to change my machine address to the farm as they wont let me ag sticker it living in town. I got a warning last year from the local CO. I told him I was checking on a tractor and he said it didnt matter. I need to stay of the road. I had a Helmet on and was just taking my time on the wide shoulder watching traffic. He said there making harder for the machines to get around. Thats why he let me off with a warning. He told me just to be careful. We have no tried making somewhat of trail system to run to stay off the roads. But with the fact there going to be putting a new neighbor hood in across the street this year we can only imagine the the trouble we will have this year. So when we heard this rumor about being able to make it legal to ride on the highway we thought this would be great for us. We will have to wait and see I guess.

It's amazing that a state with 2 manufacturers of ATV's that employ alot of people can't find a way to make them street legal. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised since they don't even want to let us drive them down a forest trail. frown.gif

It is legal to ride them on some roads. I live in outstate MN and we can ride them on city streets. Have to stay off some of them that are county state sid rds etc. Might want to check with your particular city on any ordinances they meay have.

Thanks Dave. I've been sneakin and peekin for quite a while just decided to post now and again...

Try this statute. It pretty much explains everything you need about street legality etc. It's basically up to your city, etc. web page

Quote:

It's amazing that a state with 2 manufacturers of ATV's that employ alot of people can't find a way to make them street legal. I guess we shouldn't be too surprised since they don't even want to let us drive them down a forest trail.
frown.gif

. . . or . . .

as the Honorable Mayor of Garage Logic, MN says "this is the state where nothing is allowed"

. . . or . . .

as Al Lindner himself once said "Minnesota is the state where fishing is barely legal"

Here in SD we have to have a brake lite, mirrors, and if you are under 18, you have to wear a helmit, you have to register it with a title and get a motorcycle type lic. I am not positive on this , but I think you have to have motorcycle endorsement on your driver lic.

I actually had asked (don't remember who I asked, it was a couple years ago)about the motorcycle thing, registration and so forth. I was told that in Minnesota a motorcycle is not allowed to have more than 3 wheels. It seems it would be easier to get an old 3-wheeler legalized?? At the time I was also told that a 4 wheeled atv would have to be registered as a car and would have to meet a whole different safety criteria (seatbelts, etc.)than what a motorcycle has. This may have all changed?? It may have all been talk from the get go?? Just going by what I was told, but I didn't really persue it that hard.

I have checked in to this extensively. It's not possible unless your atv only has 3 wheels. I have e-mailed department of motor vehicles, dnr, and state people about this. And it is illegal to ride on the highway. Unless you have 3 tires. I saw it in a dirtwheels issue a guy had a custom rear swing arm made for a raptor to accomadate only 1 tire. Not to mention you need a motorcycle license, and need to find a way to get licensing for the quad. But If the laws ever change i'll be one of the first to make my quad street legal.