• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Your ATV start in the cold Temps ?

Whopper Stopper

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2001 500ho and it was -44 when the wife went to work at 6:30am the other day. After having read this thread for a while I decided to give the HO a try, it was still -39 and to my surprise the thing fired right up.

LMAO Bigdaddy....I wouldnt wanna hit a Polaris crossing the street in any vechile, truck or otherwise... thats one hefty speedbump....LOL sorry I couldnt resist. Its ok someones gotta buy them. My point was other manufacturers can build a batteryless EFI system, if someone is in the market for an atv with EFI thats good to know NOW not when you get hit crossing the street as you put it....

You betcha she has a primer, if you read the manual it says to prime it when its cold or when the atv sets for extended periods of time. Its on the right side of the carb. pull out push in 2 or 3 times to prime. smile.gif

When I lived is the frozen tundra I had a block heater Installed on my Quadrunner only used it one time in the U P of Michigan when it had to sleep outside -65 w/wind chill and over a foot of snow I think for that time it was a nice add

I have an 88' Honda 350 that won't start without a "shot" in the carb. Took the carb apart, checked everything, cleaned it out, float and needle seem to be in good working order, fuel pump is pumping gas, can crank it over and won't fire, as soon as the shot in the carb, it starts.

Apparently it's not holding the gas in the carb. also, the gaskets and hoses look good, tight fit, no air leaks. Anybody have any ideas what else to look for?

Bryon

I have an 04 pol, 330 magnum and it seems to start fine using the choke in cold, but even in 30-40 degree weather it seems I have to leave the choke on or let it warm up for at least a couple of minutes before I can go with out the motor quiting. any advice from other polaris owners? seems this happens the same from 40 to -25. frown.giffrown.gif

ps: I have used the trick of turning the key and pulling the starter rope and it works well, some day they should make a baterry location big enough to replace the stock battery with a garden tractor or small car battery. The stock battery just doesn't cut it while fishing all day for lake trout at -25 to -30.

I had a 95 grizzly and remote mounted a garden tractor battery on the rear rack and this solved my power problems with starting.

vaneeck, useing the choke and haveing to leave it on for a while in cold weather is normal. As the engine warms up the amount of choke can be dereased.How much choke and how long it is required can be differnt from engine to engine just like the old cars that had manual chokes.

I have an 04 Honda Forman ES. She always pops right off, it's just keeping her running that is the problem. It seems to idle to low. If I stay on the gas for a couple of minutes it will stay running, but that is kind of a pain while I am trying to pick up my fishing gear. Anyone else run into this problem?

I have a '03 Honda Rancher. I'm really glad I came across this thread b/c it won't start at all in cold weather. The battery will die from trying to start it before it will turn over at all. Does it also have the primer that you are all talking about? I don't know much about wheelers so can you be more descriptive on how to get to it. Thanks for the help.

I also have an 04' Foreman ES. Mine started at 25 below this winter. To keep mine idling (even in warmer temps) I had to keep the choke lever pulled out some for a minute or two (while I loaded gear or ran back into the fishhouse to warm up!). Always a good idea to warm the machine up slowly before you use it.

As it slowly warmed up I pushed the lever back in and burped the gas a bit until it idled normally. Great machine!

There is a priming bulb under the tank/seat that you can access to prime if need be. I've never used it. It's a black spring loaded knob on the bottom of the carb (drivers side so to speak).

Unless you use a battery tender to keep these little batteries awake all year round, you will need to replace them every other year or so....

run seafoam in the gas once in a while.

LoveToFish- Try this, when you pull out the choke, make sure it stays out. Last year I checked mine, it slowly wanted to go back in after I pulled it out. This caused the machine (I have a 2003 Rubicon) to want to die. With my fingers I went to the very base of the choke and pretty much turned it as if I were tightening it. It is capped with rubber but it still got tight. Now when I pull the choke out, it stays out.... grin.gif

Fischuhman- I use the primer on my machine. Explaining where it is is tough.. I looked in my manual and found it. It does really work. 2-3 pushes and your good to go. You will need to twist and turn your hand to get at it. On the side of the wheeler under the seat (I believe right side) is a plastic cover that you can snap off. Behind this you will find a black push button sticking out a 1/2" or so (once again this is surrounded by alot of other items so it is hard to see at first). It is also about 3/4" wide..Push this baby a couple times and pull the choke out and you should be good to fly. Not sure if your Rancher has it but I would think it should... good luck laugh.gif

Thanks for all the help guys!

I went home tonight and found the primer on the Rancher. I can get to it from the "driver" side without removing any panels. I also figured out that we have a pull start.... I feel like an (Contact US Regarding This Word) for not knowing after two years and many failures to start the thing. I guess city boys aren't as smart ahahaha.

I pushed the primer three times and it started right up first try. It's been sitting outside for about 2 weeks too. My dad and I were amazed. I think it will be great to use since our choke has been broken for about 6 months now.

Thanks!

I have a 2000 honda 450 es, it starts okay but for some reason it will not go in gear after I use it for awhile. This is the strange part that I can't figure out, If I add a small amount of oil it will start to shift again. Not being a motor head myself can anyone explain this to me?It doesnt seem to leak oil on the floor.

Say, I have been reading about this 0W-40 synthetic oil on here. I was at Mills in Baxter yesterday looking for it, but the only thing that came close was a 0W-20 made by Mobile I think. So my question is who makes this 0W-40 and where might I be able to find it?

Thanks guys!