• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anybody Still hunting?

Deitz Dittrich

Went out with a buddy this Saturday. He had seen a few deer in the field and put me in a spot that they had traveled real close to the field edge. We set up in our spots and saw ZILCH! Nice to sit in a field covered in snow finally. Oh well, was nice to get out one last time.

Been going out every night I have off. Stuck a doe last Friday night. Now im just out for the big boy. We have been seeing a ton of deer every night but they tend to stay out in the middle of the field. One night we had a spike , fork, 2- big 8's,11 and a 12 out in the field and a total of 31 deer. If we dont see at least 15 deer in a night it a very bad night.

Duck

Congrats on the doe!

The property I am hunting has two ag. food sources, 1 alfalfa and a partial field of standing corn. I walked the downwind end of the corn but did not spot any deer bedded in there but the landowners stated that they had seen more deer activity around the corn than the alfalfa. Anyone been successful either sitting in the corn or stalking the corn?

I was out last night and the digital therm. in my truck said 7 degrees when I left. I was hunting some public land up by Pillager and there was enough snow that you could hear the deer walking clear as a bell from a long ways away but unfortunately they skirted me and I didn't start hearing them until the very end of legal shooting time. I was in a valley of sorts and the wind kept changing directions so I figure the deer must have winded me.

I'm hunting in some mature woods between there bedding area and a cut corn field. In just four days since the snow, the trails are pretty heavily worn so I'm guessing there is a good number of deer using them.

Now that the ML hunters are done and a lot of the bow hunters have called it quits, the deer at this particular land will hopefully start letting there guard down and start moving a little earlier.

I'm hoping to get back there on Fri. evening and maybe try up on the ridge a little higher so hopefully the wind isn't swirling.

I figure I've got all winter to ice fish. wink.gif

Nels

NELS-BELLS, Where do you live? I am from the Pillager area and am always looking at meeting some fellow hunters. Ill be out Fri, Sat and Sun.

The deer seem to moving a bit later the last few days, between 4:15 and 5:00. Hopfully that will change this weekend.

Duck

Congrats WB!!

Had me a frustrating day on Saturday, toughed it out for most of the day in the treestand with the gusty winds and dropping temps. Shot a judo at a squirrel and hit a big stick and it cracked the shaft. Decided to try at another squirrel 10 ft. up in a tree and bagged the squirrel but sent my arrow into who-the-heck-knows-where, busted the fiber optic on my 20 yard pin.

To top it all off, the only deer I saw were in the wide open field when I was on my way out. But hey, I'm still hunting.

TB keep up the pursuit, let us know how you end up.

Sat must have been heck on the stand, it was brutal up north here.

I did not mention that my 5 yr old son helped me drag out the deer after dark, the moon was hitting me on the shoulder and I think I said a prayer, I hope I get to do this many, many more times with my son. smirk.gifsmile.gif

I will be out the day after christmas down in the zumbro falls area. Will give reports after the hunt. This is where I got my deer last year on dec. 31st, so hopefully it will pay off again. Good luck to those still hunting! Late season can be great.

-Bob Downey

WB--Great Story and I hope you do, too! That's just plain cool! Yep, Sat.wasn't exactly fun but I planned to go no matter what and had the time so what's a feller ta do? Go hunting, that's what!

Only a few precious hunting days left this year so, get to it all my die-hard bow brothers and sisters! Best of Luck to you and yours!

Saw one deer last night about 3:45. I think it was a fawn, I just saw a waving flag as it trotted into some pines about 150 yards behind me. I doubt it knew I was there, but who knows. It could have been the last of 4-5 deer for all I know, I was looking all around me & when I looked to that area there was the flash. Looks like really nice temps again for Sunday afternoon, so we'll see. Good luck to any who go in these last few days.

last night I saw two flags walking in and then the usual gazillion squirrels but no deer. Very surprising since I saw 10 in the same spot Sat. Morning and with the approaching storm I though for sure they would be on the move. 10 days left and counting.

The hunting by my place went from HOT to NOT.

The deer have been staying in the woods till 5pm and have been taking there sweet time in getting down to my stand. I have had to leave my stand with deer out in the field cuz it was past shooting hours. The snow has slowed them down for some reason. Either that or they are starting to patern me. 9 days to go and I can only hunt 2 of them. For the longest season there is it sure did go by fast.

Duck

Went out yesterday afternoon. Boy was it cold. Did manage to shoot a nice doe. Couldn't believe I was able to actually get drawn back without being detected. The deer seem to be on pins and needles ever since the rifle season ended. I made a great shot and she only went about 10 yards before tipping over. I love this late season hunting as it is much more rewarding braving the elements. I still have my buck tag left so with a few days left in the season I am going to try to see if I can manage to get a shot at the big boy which may be tough to do as I haven't seen any nice bucks since the rut has been over. But who knows it could happen? Good luck out there and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Well Alright TC! Congrats!!

I plan to brave the sub-zero temps tomorrow in Northern WI because I haven't had enough yet! tongue.gif I'll be hunting on the ground and hope that the deer there in early Dec. are still working the same pattern. If so, the challenge will be to get drawn with 12 eyes looking at me. Best of Luck to all, Merry and Happy and Fresh Venison to you!!

bigbucks: I was hunting between a bedding area and corn field. The bedding area is about 1/4 mile from the corn field and I am as close to it as I dare get. I am in the perfect funnel. a narrow strip of hardwoods with lots of underbrush for cover. The shot was 7 1/2/ yards. By the way during the season I have seen 9 different bucks from this stand, 2 shooters (125 +) but was never able to get a shot. Since rifle season (I don't gun hunt) I haven't seen a single buck from this stand? It's quite a mystery where they went? I know a few probably got shot but the bedding area they stay in is about 100 acres of thick brushy jungle that no one is allowed to hunt.

I have been out as much as I can.

Caught a terrible cold, I have to lay low to recuperate.

I hope to get out Monday, I am off next week to give it one last try for the season finale. smirk.gif

jbjr

100 posts and still a NEWBIE......

I was out today in SE Minnesota. We did some drives during the day, and I saw 4 deer. 3 were to far away and the 4th one busted me right before it got to my 15yd shooting lane. Then sitting on evening stand I saw 8 more does, all out in a field running by, never got close enough for shot. Might get out once more before the seasons over. Good luck to others still out there.

-Bob Downey