• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Midwest Rods

Northlander

Man I just got some Pics of Bills new rods and are they awesome looking. I ordered my 1st one and cant wait to give it a shot on some LOW eyes! Quality components and St.Croix blanks will make for a great ice rod. Check out the latest from Midwest Rods. www.midwestrodandreel.com

Hi Northlander...was nice talking to you on the phone...to all interested check midwest tactical ice rods out on the web site...any ? just e-mail...we do not have are newest rod on the site as of now but they have a red cedar wood handle with a plate reel seat...can send pick if you e-mail me...we use only quality componts

Nice looking sticks! Four good sized guides on the ice rods, I like that. Made by local guys, a definite plus.

Hint to everyone. I have heard nothing but good things about the Okuma reels available on their site. My bet is Okuma makes reels for some other high profile, well respected label. Anyone know for sure?

I checked out the site.Looks like some nice rods.

I encourage everyone to check out our new sponsor. smile.gif

I believe that Okuma makes some reels for Cabelas.I have a Depth Master line counter that was made by Okuma.Its a nice reel.

I also use Okuma EB spinning reels for big cats.Tough reels and there customer service is great.

I had a client step on the handle of a reel and he broke it.

I called Okuma to get a new part,telling them that it was stepped on,and they sent out a new handle FREE!

Yep, the small guides don't bug the guys that sit cozied up in their shack all day, but they are worthless if you're an outside guy. If the wind is down and the temperature is above 20, I like to be in the great outdoors. Bigger guides don't ice up as fast.

Northlander,your going really like the new rod. I have a full set of rods from midwest. From ul to med. There a quality rod and like you said the eyes dont ice up as bad as the smaller eyes. Good luck with the new rod.

I have a couple of Ice rods from Bill and All and a couple of spinning rods for cats. I have to say that they build really nice high quality rods with about the best service you will find.... and they are close to home! Nice to see they made the trek to FM. Two thumbs up from the Rat.

I ordered a couple of the Tactical Ice rods from Midwest Rod and Reel.

After seeing this topic I remember some of my buddies talking about some custom cat rods that they had made by Midwest. Had nothing but good things to say. If your friends are talking something up, and are happy with it, you can't go wrong.

So I took a look at their HSOforum and was surprised to see that their prices were more than fair.

Now I just can't wait for two things....Some good ice and my new rods!!! cool.gif

Northlander stopped by and showed me the rod that he got,it's a good looking rod and well balanced.Looks like I may be ordering a rod for lake trout fishing after all.Thought I could make do with my walleye rods,but after looking at his new rod I will be getting a new rod just for lakers.

Northlander, You wont be dissapointed in your rods. Bill and Al both build a quality ice rod as well as soft water rods to fit all your needs. Pout, just tell the wife you know what she can get you for X-mas a Midwest rod and reel laker rod. Good luck on first ice.

I am getting excited!

I pick up my rods on thursday.

I have had only one custon rod made before and remember the excitement of waiting for it. I am glad that Midwest is getting my rods to me so fast. Less than a week is a short time. I can't wait to see them in my hands and hopefully we will have some ice in my area so I can play with them right away!! smile.gif

I picked up my rods on thursday evening and although there is no ice yet, I have been playing with them. I spooled them up and tried to catch a cat in the living room with them. A feline cat...not a catfish!

grin.gif

Don't worry, my lure of choice was a little fake mouse. Very effective lure however.

I am immpressed with the qaulity of these rods. Bill and Al are not just slapping these things together. They are clean and the wraps are tight. I was immpressed that they built my rods in a week's time, however I think they made an exception for me. Thanks guys!

They told me that customers can expect rods in about two weeks. Not too long, I think for the quality of a rod that you get and to be able to pick out the little custom touches you like.

I also picked up one of the M-1 reels. These reels are smooth and I just can't get over that they have a lifetime warranty.

I am going to use it on my 28" medium. It balances out very nicely.

Thanks Bill and Al. I am just dying for ice now!!

Oh ya, Northlander. I got to see you new rod in the process of being made. I think your going to like it!

I would have to say that if anyone is looking to get a great Christmas gift for someone this winter that they should give Midwest Rod and Reel a call. They can customize the rod for you and match it up with one of their reels and you'll be stylin and profilin come gift time. Their rods are well constructed and very functional. These guys are straight shooters and have built a reputation of making great rods. Give them a try and I'm sure you won't regret it. Where else can you get a custom built ice rod for under 50 bucks? Happy holidays everyone and we'll see you on the Ice.

Corey Bechtold

I received a 28" Ultra-Light today. I can't wait to use it. Actually, I can't wait to use the junky stuff I own as well. Hands down, this is the nicest looking ice rod I've owned. It's also the kind of rod you pick up at a store, and it just feels right.

I hope to put it to the test this weekend...do you hear me God...I hope to put it to the test this weekend...no more rain, wind, and warm temps until March, please. Yea right, like I have any bargaining power with God. grin.gif

I ordered a 32" Med/light and got it today. I wanted the 32" length and Bill made me one up with a wooden handle. Im a cork guy but this new rod is Sweat! Great action and LIGHT. Workmanship is second to none. Im very happy with the 3 rods I have ordered threw Bill and all my custom Rods will be gotten threw Midwest from now on. Midwest is also a sponsor helping to keep this site free to all of us. www.midwestrodandreel.com

I was in dire need of new rods, and with all this talk of new rods is giving me an itch too. Especially with a low of -1 tonight and all the big lakes finally iced over. grin.gif

I talked to Bill at Midwest Rods and I got my hands on some of these rods. Great guy, great products and I can't wait to slam some fish. These are made right here in Minnesota and if there is a problem with any of these products I feel I'm in good hands. smile.gif Nice talking to you, Bill.

After two weeks of testing my new rods, I have to say that I am impressed. They are the most sensitive ice rods that I own. You can feel the slightest bite. I like the saying "I can feel a fish fart". I believe you could if they did! And the cedar handle rods are even more sensitive.

The true test was fishing cats through the ice. Cats can bite so lightly that you can barely detect the bite. Even more so than a light crappie bite. I felt every cat that I caught this past weekend. I had always used a RocknReel to detct the light cat bites but didn't need it.

I am also immpressed with the California Tackle reels. They are well balanced and the drag is very smooth. They also have a lifetime warranty. I will be picking up a couple more to replace some of my other reels.

Thanks Dennis...Al and I are both happy the rods are working out well...by the way, whats the biggest cat you got thru the ice ? smile.gif...you got to get Al and I out there to try that ice cat fishing...can't say I have ever done that...thanks Bill

I've been fishing the heck out of my new rods and really like the sensitivity. They are by far the best I have owned. I really like the fact that Midwest rod blanks go completely through the cork or wood handles, and the handles (over 8") are longer than the average ice rod. I don't see that on other rods and it really increases sensitivity to light bites!

I really like the California reels too. I will be buying more from you Bill for winter and summer use.

Hey Guys,

I gotta say how much I still like my midwest rod... I finally got out to ice a few eyes and have to say that the rod was helping this time, very, very light bighting, I can honestly say I was "feeling" them. The only other eye we got was a dandy at 8.5 lbs... too bad it wasn't mine. But I'll settle for my eaters.

Rat

I used my 32" med/light for Crappies tonight and loved it. These rods are super and I look forward to using them for a long time. The wood handle makes them even more sensitive and that reel seat is great. No tape etc needed at all. Locks in solid.

Hey Bill,

It would be great to get you and Al on some of those kitties. Its really a blast.

The biggest cat I have caught through the ice was only about 8lbs. Not a huge cat by any means but do they fight!! Its interesting that a fish with that kind of fight can have such a lite bite.

I'll have to stop by and buy a couple more of those reels yet too. I'll email you...