• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oldest Equipment

fishingbuddy

An old ice chisel hand made by gramps about 75 yrs ago. That thing worked great in it day but just for sentimental reasons it will never see ice again. I have one I use that I made in high school that was before I got his and after he passed on.

I have some old jigging sticks with the spike in the end and a real old scoop hand auger. I was told it was one of the 1st made. I also have a real old jigging rap still in origonal box with price on it. Its fuzzy but I think its 35 cents.

Some of my grandpas old poles made out of old broom handles with a 16 penny nail for the pick and 32 caliber spent shell casings to wrap the line around all contained in a carrying case that consisted of an old can with a round piece of wood laid in the bottom of it and canvas tacked around the can and a chunk of cotton rope to hold everything in

A couple of years ago I was shopping for a used gas auger and I got this old, old auger called a Nordic Star. The guy I bought it from said he got it something like 15 years earlier and he bought it used. This things has gotta be around 20 years old, but it still cuts ice.

I've got a really old spud that even has the old leather sheath on the end. And I've got two of them old spoon type augers. One of which is like new. There is also an old gaff and an old scoop and a couple of them dangerous stick poles with the sharp pick on the end.

I have a Western brand fillet knife, that is 32 years old. I won it in a fishing contest, sponsored by Cargill, the company I worked for at the time. I won it with a 14# Pike I caught out of Medicine lake.

Up until my son bought me an electric fillet knife for Christmas last year, that knife took care all the duties.

I also have an old pump style Coleman lantern, that I have had close to the same amount of time.

fergus, those sci tec are great units, I believe mine was purchased around 82, just has the red color but picks up the smallest lures I think it picks up small stuff better than my fl-8. adam

That would be my Dad. He's a fish finder and GPS all rolled into one trustworthy package. (Stole that from an old Johnson Motor ad) He's a little worn around the edges and 72 years old but gets the upmost resect from me. Mostly, because I've seen him hit things with his spear that are farther away than I sit from him.

Got a decoy given to me by a friend. Said it had been in his basement for 30 years and was old when he got it. 'Course it's 'retired' and in a place of honor.

Friend of mine has an old combo about like the Schooley only metal reel. Had it since he was a kid. He used to drag it out occasionally - little nostalgia. One day he was trying to gaff a catfish for me and noticed it was gone - down the hole. He was just sick until we landed the fish and the brought up his line too. Safe to say I don't think I'll see it on the ice again, either. smirk.gif

My grandpas old spud , he passed in 73'. that spud has seen alot of ice time, he was a diehard along with his cousin, they spent every minute they could out there. just wish I could have got to fish with them before they were gone. frown.gif