• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV users beware.

jgeatz

I can't believe this. They make you buy a liscense then tell you, you can't drive the [commercial-or-naughty-word] thing. I will never buy another wheeler because who wants to put all that money into it and not be able to drive it. I hunt deer and sure it is nice to drag out deer with it if you can. The government has way many regulations on the wheeler, we should start a organiztion like the N.R.A. but we both know that costs money, so what we should do right know is dam to our senators or any politician who wants to live off our hard labor. All I know I won't buy another till something changes, because that's a big investment for me, I live up north where they are made, and I still can't believe what the D.N.R has to say about them, they don't create as much damage as a snowcat, so what is the problem, they want more money, or what. I live in M.N. the D.N.R. makes good money on the liscense alone, why do they have to push the subject. Sure there are idiots that abuse it, but those are the guys they should be busted. There is alot of money out there if they do their job. Instead they nail the common guy who tries to follow the law to the tee . Well I vented my anger, hope you guys have some comments.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do have a state ATV association that helps voice concerns to the MN electives, the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota (ATVAM). Join the association, if you see fit, and help voice your concerns at the next legislative seesion.

I am GLAD, the more legislation on these things the better. If you are too weak to drag a deer out on your own, you shouldn't even be hunting...if you are to much of a wimp to walk to your stand maybe you should pick a closer one! BOUT TIME SOMEONE regulated those things. If it were up to me and a lot of other REAL HUNTERS, those things would have NO PLACE IN HUNTING!

Mr. Sieve -

I agree ATV abuse can be maddening when you are hunting.

I hope, however, you realize there are a lot of hunters who are getting on in years where an ATV is the only means that allows them to still be able to hunt.

It would really be a shame if Grampa could not hunt with his grandkids due to ATV being illegal.

Yea, but when I think about ATV use, I don't think of the responsible older people using them. I imagine the 16 year old tearing past me on the trails or the thrity year old, overweight, lazy guy rumbling past my stand becuase he can't get the deer out of the woods!! I totally agree grampa should be able to use the ATV, the son and grandkids....they can do things for themselves. That is why the DNR shoudl issue permits to the elderly and disabled people to be able to use them! Good point though!

eric,

Interesting statements. How do you feel about any other current technologies that is used while hunting; high powered scopes, compound bows, rangefinders, calls, scents and the tons of other things. Do those seperate a "real hunter" from say, a fake hunter?

JMN, say question to you if you don't mind.

ATV's are not about HUNTING...I mean think about it, calls and scents do not hamper other hunters. Those thigns take SKILL!! There is no SKILL in an ATV...you drive around in it like a yahoo scaring everything away from everyone else....hunting for me is about getting EXERCISE not being a fat lazy guy on a 4 wheeler......calls and scents and stuff help you to HUNT Deer while not taking any of the work out of it, 4 wheelers take the work out of it....nice try

No "try" on my part. Simple observation is all. I suspect that an "old timer" might say the same about you and your reasoning with the use of calls and scents......takes the work out of hunting.

But, he's too old to know about the internet so he can't voice his opinion on here, like we can.

I seen a deer call out on the shleves. I didn't know turning a can upside down and right side up, or dumping some scents out took skill?

Either way, thank for your opinion.

BTW, I'm not fat or lazy either. wink.gif

Never said you were.....just OBSERVING what I see..........also, why the heck would you ride an ATV, when you could WALK and enjoy the fresh air (not dirty fumes), and also see the scenery without it rushing by, I mean in our everyday loud world it is nice to get away to the quiet. Often times that piece and quiet is broken by useless ATV's. All they are really good for is hauling wood and plowing snow.

Eric, I don't think that the ATVs are being used to actually HUNT or KILL the animal. I mean people aren't chasing down deer with them and running them over or chasing them and then shooting. That would be HUNTING with an ATV. They are used (or should be used) for getting to and from the stand in a remote location and carry the deer back to the camp. That isn't hunting with an ATV. It is used as transportation. I don't think many people actually drive the ATV right up to the deer in the woods and pick it up. Hunters have more sense than that. People use ATVs for hunting because they can. It is a convenienve and commodity that we have to make our lives easier. Thats just the way the world and society is. Also, ATVs were made just for hunting and they aren't used just for hunting. They can be used for TONS of things. You are just focusing on the way SOME people use them for the one time out of the year when they deer hunt. Don't you like to drive an ATV out on the ice instead of a car or truck? Don't you think they are fun just to mess around with and ride on ATV trails? If I wanted to move snow I would get a skid loader. If I wanted to haul wood I would get a truck and/or trailer. I know if I had an ATV I would use it a whole more than just deer hunting. I would be mad about this dumb license if I had an ATV.

I agree with Dave about the scents and calls. It doesn't take much to dump on some scents and flip a can.

Good Hunting

-MGH-

Eric -

Let's see if I understand.

I ride my ATV on a gravel road and park it on the road edge near where my stand is. I do this well before legal shooting light, and have permission from the landowner. I sit on my stand all day, and shoot a deer about 5 pm. I field dress the deer, and use the ATV to carry it home after sundown.

Do you have an issue with this type of ATV use?

I don't feel my hunting experience was diminished in any way whatsoever, and was perfectly legal.

I consider this a perfect use of an ATV in conjunction with deer hunting.

I could of easily walked to my stand location. In fact I did so yesterday afternoon. Sometimes I choose not to walk to avoid getting sweated up and then getting chilled prematurely.

I agree with you 100% that illegal use of ATV's or any motor vehicle for hunting should not be tolerated.

well said eric. Dave, how does an ATV get involved w/ the actual hunt? yes it'll drag out that deer out of the woods, but where does the HUNTING part come into play with the ATV. you can go off to thousands of other issues from using diff. techniques, but I'm talking about the average person out in PUBLIC woods; why does that person need to drive through god's creation and disturb everyone's vision on how the forest should look. without the tracks and sound of a bumble bee in the woods from an atv. AVERAGE person out in the woods, yes you can go off to the handicapped and the elderly.

-JN

Wow, I'm average, a hunter, and own an ATV. I have yet to tear into to God's earth with it. I might have displaced a pebble or two, but no ripping. Well, OK. I've rutted up snow. Man, I'm going to get lumped in with snowmobilers.

Emotional generalizations don't fly with me when it comes to anti-ATV arguing. The state is starting to do a decent job of pleasing all parties that have a stake in the outdoors. Every one has a different way they want to use public land. Mine is probably not the same as Eric's, but it shouldn't be hard to tolerate each other if everyone follows the rules. I know everyone doesn't, but the ATV leaders are working on getting the word out.

BTW - Eric, I am not fat and lazy either. In fact, you're welcome to flag me down in the woods. I'll get off my ATV, and we'll have an endurance race on foot through the woods. grin.gif

Eric,

My first question to you is do you have an atv of your own? Or are you just upset that some people have perfectly legal ways to get to their stand and you don't have that option.

I actually had someone [PoorWordUsage] me off on Saturday because he drove by me twice illegally, but that does not make me think no one should have access to their atv's during deer season. I ride mine everyday I hunt, I just ride mine during legal hours. I will usually walk 3 to 5 miles everyday during deer season. I am not fat or lazy and I am very pro atv use while hunting.

Maybe you just don't realize how far out there some people build their stands. I have had a stand that was only fourwheeler accesable. No one wants to walk 5 miles through the woods in the dark to get to their stand in the morning.

If people around you abuse their fourwheeler priveleges consistantly, that is to bad and maybe you need to talk to the DNR. You don't need to come on here complaining about everyone that has an atv. Most people are very respectful. Don't blame everyone for the jackazzes.

Ryan

Quote:

If people around you abuse their fourwheeler priveleges consistantly, that is to bad and maybe you need to talk to the DNR. You don't need to come on here complaining about everyone that has an atv. Most people are very respectful. Don't blame everyone for the jackazzes.

Well said ELE.

Eric and Jmn maybe you should DO YOUR PART and take down the licenes numbers of these "evil" people and turn them into the DNR instead of chastising people on this forum. You are no different than PETA with your mass generalization of people that are doing things that are leagal but you just happen to not agree with.

Take action don't just sit around and complain.

arbuck

ok, I never did say all people w/ atv's are dumb and have to meaning to life, but to those out there that are ruining it for everyone else. Tell me why YOU need to drive your ATV to get a deer through some random place in the woods. thats my arguement, again UNLESS you are handicapped or cant walk, too weak, etc, you should be able to drag out your deer to the road, then grab your atv/truck and take her out.

hey arbuck, how can I be apart of Peta if I love hunting and fishing confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif???????????

I'm not going to get off my deer stand and walk 1 mile and 1/2 to ruin my hunting, and try to catch some jack-ace who is driving out of hours, that ruins my time. Yeah, I will stop them if they are within seeing distance. crazy.gif