• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permanent house ?'s

Snag

Does anyone know where I can get some Hyfax to fit the bottom of my runners. My Dad and I just started on an 8x8 perm. and I would like to add some to the bottom of the treated 2x6's that we are using for runners.

Another question. What is the best type of insulation? I see they sell the 1 1/2 inch white styrofoam type, the 1 inch blue tuff r , and some pink stuff is the most expensive material. Any thoughts on these.

Moose-Hunter had a nice post that gave us some good ideas.

any type of styrofoam insulation is the best. I have 1 1/2" in mine. Part of the benefit of this type of insulation, it if your house happens to go through, like mine did 2 years ago when we had that warm snap and tons of houses fell in in the state, it will help it float. Out of 5 houses I helped pull out of the water, mine was the only one with styrofoam insulation and the easiest to pull out because it was the only one floating, replaced the carpet, and fished out of it the next day!!

you'd be better off with a high density type foam, the white/bead board, has little insulating value-R1/inch, the blue board is R5/inch.

you could try looking for the hyfax material at places that sell truck box liners like for beet trucks. they may have scraps.

also, anyplace that there are long, wide belts used for manufacturing, they use this stuff where the belt lays on a flat surface for some of its travel (to prevent belt wear), they get worn and replaced quite often and what they throw out is often good enough for your skids.

You can check out the different R-values at Menards or any lumberyard, I would diffently use foam thru out the house, don;t forget to ins. the floor. We used 1/2 in. treated plywood on the bottom, 1 and 1/2 pink form next , box around your fishing holes with 2/2, 1/2 in. plywood for the top floor, then carpet, get the kink of carpet that you think will not snag your hooks or line.

Northlander-If I can't find the hyfax tomorrow, I will email you. I've found an old post that had a HSOforum. They might be able to cut some strips for me.

We finished the floor today. 4 walls, a roof and lots of measureing still needed before completion. I'll post pics when we get finished. I chose the blue TUFF-R insulation. Thanks for the replies smile.gif