• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Deer with Drop Tines

I am wondering if anyone has seen or heard of many deer in Northern minnnesota being shot with drop tines, or are most typicl antlers. I know I heard of one at Camp Ripley last year, but don't hear of them much. Has anyone shot one in Minnesota and if so what part?

I have only seen one deer in Minnesota that had drop tines. I almost hit it one night driving and that thing would of done some damage. It stopped in the middle of the road so i got a good look at it. And it definitely had drop tines. It was located in central Minnesota near hutchinson. I seen it two years ago. They are nice to see.

I saw my first this year, although it wasn't MN it was ND. I passed on the buck, not seeing the side with drop tine as he came across the ridge in front of me - it was a standard 10 frame. My buddy got a much better look at it, but he only had a doe tag.

I've seen a few shot in ND, but never seen one up close and personal. I haven't seen one in MN yet, but would love to get one!

they are around in MN, I've seen pictures of them.. laugh.gif

Here is some interesting reading on drop tines from the web...

------------------------------------------------------------

"The presence of drop times, coming off the main beam, might also be hereditary, or they may occur for other unknown reasons. Although scientists agree that drop tines occur most frequently among well-nourished, mature bucks, they seem to have no firm data regarding reasons for their occurrence in relatively few deer.

Of the several hundred bucks I raised, only one possessed what appeared to be genetically determined drop tines, first evident as small bumps when the buck was 2-1/2 years old. In subsequent years, although the buck had otherwise typical antler form, he grew identically positioned, paired, three to 4-inch long drop tines each year. Several other bucks I raised each grew a single drop tine, but each only during one year, suggesting that the growths occurred for other than genetic reasons." ANTLER ABNORMALITIES: Understanding Non-Typcials (by John J. Ozoga)

Annurism081302.jpg

"ANNURISM" A 7yr. old who hit 209" this year and then damaged the end of his right beam. Full Texas bloodlines. Estimating measurements of this deer on the hoof can cause a headache. Sporting 11"+ G2s, strong G3s and 4s with QUADRUPLE DROPS of 9 1/2, 7 1/2,4,and 3 inches respectfully. Sire was 32, a main frame 5X5 with several kickers and scoring 201 as an 8 yr. old. The grandsire is JESSE, the quadruple drop tine buck that has graced the cover of most hunting magazines.

Anyone see this one? Wow! shocked.gif

Rack Of 1,000 'Points'

This was found in Ohio in '89.

"Boone and Crockett measurer Bill Cooper figures up the Barnacle Buck's score. The total came to 257 4/8 net points. But a club rule barring "cactus" racks makes the deer ineligible for B&C at any score."

ww_aa010303.jpg

"Ohio's "Barnacle Buck" has a virtually uncountable number of "points."

Most "cactus" racks are just a wad of stunted points. This one has a normal typical frame beneath the non-typical growth."

- North American Whitetail

My Uncle shot a buck with drop tines about 6 or 7 years ago North of Leech Lake. It had about 14 to 16 points and 4 or 5 of them were drop tines. It was not a big rack, I would say it would have scored around 110 at the most.

I have only seen one deer with drop tines through my years of hunting. He was a 5X5 with decent tine lengths and a narrow 15" spread but he head two perfectly symmetric drop tines between G1&G2(one on each rack) that were about 4-5" in length. It was perfectly symmetric and I would have mounted him even though I have shot larger deer. I was just in awe that it was so symmetric. I just happened to have a doe tag that year and let him run off to hopefully breed for more of them in the future.