• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE FISHING SUITS

MRWALLEYE2005

Jerry Leonards if you are a big man, The Mens Wharehouse if you are regular dude!

Myself, I have 3, I'am partial to the black with grey pin stripes. The suit compliments my bunny boots and Coyote fur hat.

I got a Guide Series jacket last year that works great! Just wore a sweatshirt and t-shirt underneath it and I was fine.

I also picked up some thinsulated jeans that worked well with a couple layers underneath them.

Now if I could just find me some nice, warm gloves/mittens then I'll be set. Any suggestions guys? Think those neoprene gloves would be good for ice fishing?

I use a set of insulated Cabela's Guide Wear with the parka and bibs. I can stay warm in the open at -20 with no worry. I also layer poler fleece top and bottom as a base coat, very comfortable. The one great thing about this system is you can use it 3 seasons easy, more bang for the buck in my view.

My next set will be the Cabela's MT-050 Extreme Weather Coverall. They will cut the wind, snow, rain (Waterproof), and they resist ice buildup, and again a Gore-Tex system so they are heat efficient and breathable. At $300 they are a substantial investment but a very good one. With this system you get 3-season use and if you hunt they are offered in a few como patterns.

Insulated Guide Wear was the best investment I ever made in sporting clothing by far. If you want to be on the ball on the water or ice you need to be comfortable. If you skimp you often suffer for it latter, and so does your fishing.

A good set of insulated gear and a good set of boots and your ready to be your best on the ice. They pay for themselves many times over again in lost time and comfort.

Consider how active you are on the ice and how flexible a system you will need to fit your needs. For some folks who hit and run a lot an uninsulated Gore-Tex rain gear suit with several layers of fleece and a silk base layer is the ticket. A very lightweight and flexible system but not good for extended cold or sedentary activities.

Consider your needs and build from there.

Right now is a good time because you can pick up water proof duck hunting gear on sale or clearance. Look for some insulated bibs and a 4 in 1 parka. If you don't mind the camo, you should be able to find some great prices.

It has been out for 2 winters including this one...maybe 3 in the field?

I used a set 2 years ago for a long weekend on the ice and fell in love with them. Looking hard at getting a set this season. Very warm and cut for free movement. Ice and rain drops right off them and they stay pliable in -0 weather.

I was wearing Carhart bibs and jacket snowmobiling, my goofy brother works outside most of the winter said his one piece snowmobile suit was way warmer than the get-up I had on. I was plenty warm, but thought if I needed to step up, something to consider. The insulated jeans are comfy from Wrangler, take a look at them as another layer underneath.

Right or wrong, when I hear the word quality "insulated" clothing, I think of $$$$ and SWEAT.

If you want to save some $$$$, invest in a quality breathable wind/waterproof shell (pants/bibs), and put your money in the layering (synthetic) underneath. That way you'll have an all season set up for any weather condition (-20 to 40*). I wear synthetic layers that I ride snowmobile in as well.

I grew up on cotton, but the synthetics available today are top quality.

Not exactly ground breaking info, but still underated.

For me, I absolutely have to be wearing a pair of bibs in the winter. I've been wearing a pair made by Burton Snowboards (back from my snowboarding days) for about 9 years now probably. They are awesome for snowboarding & double quite well as fishing gear. There is a nice chest pocket, the butt and the knees are cordura (so they are tough), they are windproof, and the weird thing is they are not insulated. But they do keep me warm.

I'm hoping that they can make it through one more winter for me. In the meantime, I've been on the look for some replacements. I've checked out the Cabela's Guidewear which is very appealing. I've also been looking at some snowmobile bibs made by Reima. The Reima bibs are Gore-Tex and uninsulated (very similar to my current bibs). Waiting for the Snowmobile Show at the Convention Center to check them out in person.

Other than that, I've got my Arctic Cat gore-tex jacket which works great or I'll throw on my duck hunting parka.

CARHARTS . for durability, versatility, get bibs with full length zippers to the hips,you can take them off with your boots on. Heater Friendly. not waterproof but durable.try them on at store before leaving.good luck

Cableas gore tex Jean cut pants are hands down my favorite wear with a gore tex parka/jacket. Pants are around $80, best investment I've ever made. I have them hemmed a couple inches longer than regular pants so they don't "creep up" and they sit nicely around my boots and stop any draft. They let moisture/sweat out, but no wetness in. Jackets are on sale, (waterfowl patterns) and offer year round use. The unlined pants and the coat without the liner are my rain gear as well all year. Wear it deer hinting with a blaze parka and obviously duck hunting too.

Gotta have the matching camo pattern to look good for the lunker C&R photo opportunity!

Good luck to all in whatever you're chasing!