• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dedicated Snow Tires

wastewaterguru

Question

I picked up a set of factory 17" wheels for my 2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew on hsolist for $100.00 and now I am trying to figure out what tires to put on them. I figured that with all the snow we get up here, there should be a bunch of truck owners that run dedicated snow tires that could help me out. I looked at the Bridgestone Duellers and the Michelin Alpines and wondered what the preferences were......

19 answers to this question

WWGuru,

I had the Duellers on my Ford and thought they were the worst pair of tires I had ever owned. I had 5 flats in 6 months, and thought they wore out too fast, not to mention I didn't think the were any good on snow and ice. I bought a pair of tire chains just so I could move the fishhouse around.

I have heard good things about the blizzak.

I have been looking at some BF Goodrich all-terrains but don't know a thing about them. They are on most of the new Fords at Waconia Ford. I think they look good on a Ford.

Danny Berg-

Take a good look at those BFGoodrich All-Terrains!! They are a very nice tire! I currently run 285/75R15 on my GMC Sierra and they are great. The traction in the snow is really nice too. Before my GMC, I had some 31inchers on my Ford Ranger for about 4 years. In the 6-7 years I've been using them, I've had no flats. I had a nail puncture one on my Ranger but you can't really prevent that.

I wouldn't exactly call them a dedicated snow tire but they would be very nice if that is what you wanted to use them for.

And in my opinion, you can't beat them for looks either. You've got to love the solid white letters grin.gif

I second the BF Goodrich AT. I am on my second set on my silverado. I got over 60,000 from my first set and I am closing in on 40,000 on my second set. Out of 8 tires I have had one flat that it. I would sap that is pretty good. They are great tires in the snow and mud. I love them and I will be putting a 3 set on once the ones on my truck are shot. Say hanson do you have 15 or 16 inch wheel on your sierra. I have been wondering about putting 285x75R16 on mine but since I don't have a lift kit I am afraid they will rub when I turn.

iffwalleyes-

I goofed, they are 16" rims. So I have 285/75R16 on there. The guys at Tires Plus told me that was as big as I could go and I took there word for it. I've never had a problem with any rubbing. The front tires are awefully close to the front of the wheel well and there has never been a problem. I can't say that I've really gotten into a severely articulated situation where I'd rub the top of the wheel well though.

I just put a new set of Toyo's on my truck because they were rated second behind the BF goodrich for my truck. I had the BF's and didnt see what the stink was so Im trying these. More agressive tread for the snow and siped for ice. Ill let ay know once I give them the true test on the lakes this winter. For being so agressive they dont have much more road noise than the BF's.

If you are strictly going to use them during the winter, go blizzaks..

For all around use, the best tires I have found are the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO, mud sand snow and ice they cant be stopped. They have an aggressive tread pattern with deep lugs but still stand up to highway mileage. If I had to, and couldnt buy the REVO's, I would go with the BF AT's.

I will also vouch for the BFG AT's. I am running 315/70/17's (35") BFG AT's on my 2003 Dodge Ram. This is my 3rd vehical with these tires and I don't see myself changing brands any time soon....they have worked great summer and winter! I have never had a flat with them, and that is with some off-roading in my previous Jeep and pickup. I got many miles out of them (don't know how much because I sold the vehicals before they wore out, but I am sure 40k-50k).....

I would definitely recommed them. They are siped for winter.

Also, the 285/75R16 is a 33"x11" tire. All the specs are on BFG's web site.

i have been selling and using Blizzaks for a long time. Nothing compares to them for ice traction (except chains or studs). i would highly recommend the Blizzaks. i can get you a set if that is what you decide to go with.

Andy

Tires Plus in Winona

the factory tire size should be 265/70r17. in the Blizzak line they make the Bridgestone Winter Dueler DMZ2. if you are serious about getting these you should act soon. i was told by my sales rep. that bridgestone had a major fire in one of their plants and lost a lot of their blizzaks. there are not too many places that have them or that will be able to get them. and it will only get worse as the winter goes on.

Andy

Andy,

That sure sounds like a salesman......."fire at the factory."

I would like you to give me price but this isn't the place.

email: wastewaterguru at hotmail dot com

Yes they're 265/70/17, but would consider a wider tread. I have the FX4 XLT Supercrew and want a pretty aggressive tire since they are for winter only.

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. There was a lot of good info on the ford enthusiast site as well.

Have used the michelin artic alpines on a honda acord for the last five years.These tires work great.It goes thru the snow better than my 3/4 chev 4/4 in four wheel drive.The trick is to only use these tire during the snowy months,they will last a long time.Burl