• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buzz Stiks?

Blaine

How did you guys like them? I am contemplating bringing them into my tackle shop... Is it just another product to catch fishermen?

While we're at it, you guys out there take your jigging a lot more seriously than most here on the east coast (we get to use more tip ups)... That said, what are your favorite rods for panfish under $30 ?

I heard some industry insider info about a new ice rod coming out. Rumor has it there is a new vibrating rod coming out in about mid Nov. Multi-speed vibration unit, detachable, interchangeable with other rods, and supposed to be alot cheaper than the Buzz Stix.

I heard this from a very good source but they claimed that they did not know which company was coming out with it ( yea right). Has anyone else heard about this rod and who is coming out with it?

laugh.gif

I did not purchase one myself, but after the feedback from last year I am glad I didn't. The demonstration at the ice show was effective, but that was with a small jig in a 1 foot deep aquarium. After you have dropped down several feet I would expect almost no movement from the buzzing at the tip, even with something like fireline. Again, I have not used the product, but that's the feedback I recall. If you are a tackle-shop owner you may sell quite a few, but I definitely think they are more for catching fisherman than fish. I did hear a rumor that that have a new upgraded model coming out this season. Maybe more "buzz" to the buzzstick?

Blaine, I've got your site bookmarked! I saw those photos of you striper fishing. Wow! I want to do that someday laugh.gif. I've been needing a vacation for a long time, and that looks like a good excuse for a trip.

Re: favorite rods. I don't recall the brand name I have(maybe Yad rods?) but I know both of my pannie rods were about $10. They're O.K. Soft, so you can pull on the fish, but the guides on both are too small for fishing outside of a shack, and they freeze up far too easily. I'm looking at getting a custom Thorne Bros. rod this year.

Thanks guys, that's the input I was looking for. I don't put stuff in the shop that is "gimmicky". We have an excellent reputation and I want it to stay that way wink.gif

buz, if you ever get out this way be sure to look me up. As you can see from the pics, we get plenty of big fish. I'll glady give a newbie a break on a trip grin.gif

Hi Blaine if you are looking for a nice Bluegill rod, Frabill has a really nice stick coming out this winter. I saw it at the fall tackle show. It has a small spring bobber built in the rod tip. I think it will be killer on gills. It is built similar to the Thorne Bros. model but less expensive. I know I'll be trying it.

Jason Erlandson

I have to agree, thorne Bros rods are awesome. But they dont sell all that well, even here. Try some St Croix rods. Good quality, good equipment. $30 for the Avid and $20 for the Premier. Both nice rods for the money. Nice selection of lengths and actions too.

I dont think you can go wrong with the St.Croix or Thorne Brothers rods. Other good options are the new JR,s Tackle line and their super sweat reels. Also Yad and Gentz rods have some good actions. The new Frabil will be interesting to try out as well. What a difference the past 5 years has made in Ice Rods. A lot of companies are taking notice that they can make some good $ if they do a nice Hardwater series of equipment. The new portable houses and heaters along with flashers make it much more enjoyable when its cold or the fishing gets challanging!

The Buzz Stix are "unique" I will admit last years models needed improvement. And that is just what was done for this year. The buttons are much easier to deal with. The actions are great. They've added the AutoBuzz stick which is great for deadsticking.