• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Field Dressing

I've used just a plain knife in the past. But last year a bud had one of those T-handle saws and Man that made it alot easier, especially on the pelvic bone. I went and found a set at GM. It's a Gerber and has a fixed blad knife, gut hook tool, T-handle saw, and pouch for only $50.

If you are field dressing a moose some handy things to have would be...

Knives

saws-sawsall would be ideal

tarps to lay meat on

gut hook knife

back pack game carriers

Game bags to cover meat

And lots of friends to help pack it out!!!

I don't split the pelvic bone any more. Busted a couple of knife tips that way though!

I have one of those Wyoming-type gut hook knives, and it does a quick and slick job. Then out comes the good old Rapala fillet knife, and I "core out" the area beneath the pelvic bone, cutting from the rear end forward. The whole works pulls right out with the guts, with no contamination. When you are "coring" slide the knife along the bone all the way around - if you don't follow the bone you will certainly puncture the bladder and leave yourself a bit of a mess.

This avoids opening up the meat above the pelvic bone to bacteria and such - and makes for "cleaner" looking meat when you butcher.

I've got a little pelvic saw that I use on everything except fawns, they split pretty easy even with a pocket knife. On the bigger deer I cut up along the ribcage with that as well. I use a Buck knife with a gut hook & a Gerber without, just depending on my mood. They both work great.

All I use is a sharp knife. Also, I don't break the pelvic bone and cut out the "area above the pelvic bone" and pull it out with the guts, just like Jackpine Rob. This keeps everything much cleaner, I don't really like sand in my supper. If you're in the south metro, check out the seminar tomorrow at Gander, he does a great job.

I can't think of any reason to split the pelvic bone. As sead earlier it just invite bacteria into the meat. Just "core the apple". I do split the rib cage when it is warmer to cool off the deer faster though.

The first thing I do once I've removed the nuts or milk sac is to split the pelvis bone. I use a buck knife with a heavy 4" fixed blade. I have always done this. There is a small seam in the center of the bone which (if found) makes splitting much easier. I can split the bone with a knife without getting into the intestine. I then core the intestine out with the pelvis split. I just think it makes it much quicker. It usually only takes me about 10 or 15 minutes if I have nothing wierd happen.

Gander Mountain in Maple Grove had a deer processing seminar last night.

The guy actually butchered a deer.

He cuts zero bones in the entire field dressing, and butchering process.

It was quite amazing. The guy butchered that deer and packed all the meat in an hour and a half even while answering questions.

Yep, the old coring trick. I've gutted all my dear this way. Just take your time and be sure to get all the tissue cut around the anus. Also helps to keep a little piece of string with you. Tie the anus off after you've "cored" it out. Helps keep waste out of the meat.

I have always cut the pelvis bone with a buck knife. This year I have a 15" bowie knife with a saw built into the back side. I'm going to have both knifes with me and see how the bowie knife works. If the big knife does not work out then at least I'll have a big kick ars knife on my belt!!

Bogsucker, you must be sliping, 5min? grin.gif

I like my Kershaw blade changer, three knives in one. I like using the the saw blade threw the brisket and the pelvis. The hind end has the most mass, so I like splitting the pelvis, if only to help cooling in warmer weather.