• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Top trophy spot in MN

I'm sure this topic will open a can of worms, but I'm interested in seeing what you guys think is the top spot in the state to take a trophy - I know every deer is a trophy to someone - I'm talking about 150" buck or larger? I've been able to hunt some good areas in the St. Croix River Valley and have seen several nice bucks - one pushing 170 inches.

I'm not looking at stealing someone's 'secret spot', and I know everyone may be partial to the area that they hunt. I also know that all areas have the potential of holding a trophy buck, but I'm looking for some honest opinions on where people think big bucks are concentrated. I read recently in Field & Stream about the top 20 spots in the nation for trophy deer. They listed Koochiching State Park as the top spot in the state. I've hunted some of these areas up north and tend to disagree.

What do you think???

Terry

[This message has been edited by tjhunter (edited 11-06-2003).]

Three key ingredients come to mind.

1. Quality food source.

2. Limited hunting pressure

3. Good genetics

Interestingly enough....add these up and your looking at metro areas, where gun hunting isn't allowed and Oaks, corn and quality grasses are present.

Holy cow? Shakopee? Savage? Burnsville, Eden Praire, Minnetonka, Plymoth, Maple Grove???? I think so!!!
Perhaps River Valleyes as well. Red, Minnesota, Mississippi, St. Croix.

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 11-06-2003).]

I have to agree with Hammer'em.
Due to minimal hunting pressure and abundant food supplies I think some of the biggest (and oldest)Minnesota bucks are in the Minnesota River Valley or even in the Twin Cities Metro area.
I know of a couple (protected)places in the cities that are home to large quantities of huge bucks, including the New Brighton arsenal, North Oaks, and the Minneapolis water works in Columbia Heights, although they've thinned out the inbred herd in the water works the last couple years, there are still a few huge bucks in there , including one 14 pointer I watch from less than 20 yards away through a fence an a regular basis.

There are some huge bucks in the metro, mainly due to lack of hunting pressure. My opinion will obviously be biased because I hunt in southeast MN, but I really think this is the trophy capital of the state. I hunt my Grandpa's land near Rollingston/Minneiska, and we see lots of deer, and lots of big 'uns. There doesn't seem to be the winter kill in this part of the state. Whitewater valley holds some brutes, but I think the best area is Houston County. Big woods, lots of food and protection, equals big deer. I don't hunt this area, but I know a couple people who do, and they have some trophies on the wall.

Coach Dog

In reading one of the last Outdoors News paper's, that had this exact topic. They broke it down by county in MN. I vaguely remember the best counties but the SE part by the river and Grand Rapids Area come to mind.

I agree with Hammer em' about the three points. The most important is the genetics!

The nice thing about MN is that you can find a buck of this caliber in almost every county and lots of them. We have the genetics and food sources without question. Now, if we can let them age a little more, MN will be, in my opinion, one of the top producers in the country. With all the QDM going on now, you will start to see a big change in MN over the next ten years! MN hunting is very exciting and a hunters dream!

Over the last 20 years, the top three counties for registered Boone & Crockett bucks have been Lake County, Houston County and Ottertail County.

Overall, counties in the upper 1/3 of the state have fared best for B&C bucks, although there is good representation from counties bordering the Mississippi in SE MN.

The best areas seem to be on a line from the Cities northwest to Fergus Falls/Detroit Lakes, then from that point, both on a line northeast to Ely and northwest to the NW corner of the state.

I hunt a large untouched area of private land near blackduck. This area holds some real monsters. There are corn and alfalfa feilds near by and I beleive a very good gene pool. My luck {or lack there of} usually keeps me around 6 points or so, but I have seen huge 10 and 12 pointers in the feild. The party that I hunt with is good for at least 1 big 10 pointer or bigger a year. We never score our deer. The area also holds some extreamly large does. I have never hunted in southern MN so I dont know what to compare it to, I have hunted in the Marcel area and it is definetly better then that. That area also holds some nice bucks though.
I would agree that Genes, Food and the obviouse time to grow are what turns them into trophys.
GOOD LUCK.

------------------
I never vote for, I alawys vote against

My votw will go near the sandstone duxbury area, alot of hunters, and Im not one of em, but still produces good bucks time and time again. If Im not mistaken wasnt the mn record hels in that area for a while or maybe still is??????

Biggest buck I've ever seen, live or mounted (and I've been around the block a time or two) was in the parking lot of my wife's work. The lot backs up to a golf course owned by the 3 rivers park system. On the back nine is a hole where you can see the entire Minneapolis skyline reflected on the water.
The clue trail ends there................

Irvingdog...
I think I know where your talking about. Is it off BLR?
The 3 rivers park district woodlots are holding some monster bucks....So are many backyard woods!!!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 11-07-2003).]