• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

favorite way to fish carp

since this forum has been pretty dead latly i figured id ask what is everyones favorite way to catch carp and in what body of water. mine is shore fishing with a bobber and corn in the minnesota river

We fish with field corn that has been cooked in sugar water and flavored with strawberry or tutti frutti. Sometimes we prebait an area with our corn, but most of the time, we just fish. We figure that the corn is good enough that it will call them in, if they are in the area.

Tom B

I've had the best luck flyfishing for carp using light colored yarn flies, which I also use for steelhead fishing. Carp love cottonwood seeds, so my thought is that light colored yarn flies look similar. Yarn flies also have a bigger/stronger hook, so they don't pull out as easily. I've caught carp using yarn flies in less that a foot of water before. I love that explosion after setting the hook!

Haaad

[This message has been edited by so haaad (edited 07-19-2004).]

Leech,

That reminds me of a time we were in New Ulm for my sons baseball tourn. We went out to try and see what we could catch on the Mn. River. WOW! We had some really strong carp. Just like you said, crawler on the bottom. Set pole in a "Y" stick and wait. Didn't take long either. What a blast!

Where im from the Carp really congregate in a local river reservior. They will swim at the water's surface with their back out of the water. On calm days we will bring our trolling motor out there and get up close to them and stick them with arrows and reel them in. They are usually pretty tough and will survive even an arrow unless it was n the head or meat of their vitals. If it is a tail or high back shot well throw them back and they swim away. If they are gonna die we smoke them. They arent too bad. In Europe they are a very popular game fish and food.

what time of year are they on the surface or shallow backwaters. that sounds like it would be fun I herd a lot of people doing it up here in the st louis river but I have never seen it done. I got to try it this year.

Dan, where were you fishing in New Ulm, im guessing riverside park or Minnecon? i have caught big carp at both locations. O when you were there did there happen to be a short pudgy kid in a yellow Cabelas hat fishing? that would have been me. BTW what tournement was your son in?

They swim on the surface all summer long where I'm at. Easiest to spot them when it is a still day. They usually congregate in groups of about 10 or more so if you miss you still sometimes hit another one. It is really fun.

R.Rat,

We have been to New Ulm a few times for AAA baseball. 12, 13, and 14 year olds. That was a couple of years ago.

We fished at a place that was on a road that came into New Ulm off of 14. There was a public accsess and we just walked down river along the bank to the first big bend.

By the way New Ulm is a very freindly town. Very strong in religon and baseball. You also have some of the best sauerkraut in the country. You should be proud to live there.

Dan that would have been Minnecon park for the record, another good spot down there is the point you can see to the right of the landing, there is a bridge up by the road and bathroom when you come in. I am proud to be a Newulmite and to eat saurkraut until people refuse to sit by me.

My favorite location has to be riverside park in New Ulm. There is a big cement culvert that runs into the river there. On real hot days if you sneak up to it there is usually a ton of carp swimming right next to it or in it if the river is at normal level. They must enjoy the cool water that pours out of it. After they spot you they don't show themselves as much, but they're still their. I usually toss out a regular jig with some corn on it and in no time your in for quite a fight. Unfortuantly Iv'e lost two nice rods their and one got pulled into the culvert and I got it before the fish pulled it into the river. Caught the fish and it was only about a pound or so and here i was expecting a yorker of a carp. After losing 2 and almost 3 rods you'd think I'd pay more attention but they always same to catch me off guard. Oh well smirk.gif

Have to say my favorite deal is chasing pods of 20 to 50 pound grass carp, while they cruise the surface for seed pods, grass clippings, etc. Absolutely the most visually stunning, challenging (and potentially explosive) situation I've yet encountered in freshwater. These fish are so big, so wary, so selective and so powerful that it almost blows your mind.

The first grass carp I hooked in this situation many years ago on a golf course pond brought me to the brink of the rubber room. After hooking (and losing) several 30 to 40 pound class fish on #10 midge emergers (#6 fly line), then finally beaching a single upper 30s fish, I was absolutely frazzled, mentally spent, for the remainder of the day. Anyone who doesn't get excited by pods of surface feeding 30-pound plus fish just doesn't compute on my radar. crazy.gif

This spring I look forward, once again, to attempting to tame at least a few giant common carp in a little clearwater lake near my home. Mythically huge fish made even more so by the fact that they've brought me to my knees on almost every occasion to date. I'm ready for more smile.gif.

-a friend,

Cory Schmidt

Catmaster that is flipping HILARIOUS grin.gif!!!!!! Those carp can hit you off gaurd and then after an unexpected swim and a few unnessecary adjectives are said its either back to fishing and drying off or off to buy a new rod!!! smirk.gif

GOOD FISHIN!!!!