• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Camp Suggestions

This season is going to look a little different for me.  I'm hunting the same land but normally I stay with family that own the land.  However, due to covid I'm opting to not stay in the house with everyone in order to keep my social distance.  I've got some specific reasons for why I need to do this but we don't need to get into those.  Instead of staying in the house I'll be camping out on the property instead.  Early season is no big deal as its warm enough to not really worry about it.  What I'm not so sure about is what are the best options for when it starts to get colder.   I don't want to invest in a bunch of new gear or tents for what I'm hoping will be a one year thing.  Right now I'm thinking that once it gets cold I can use my Eskimo 949i that I just bought and either use my buddy heater or possibly run power from the house and heat it with a small electric heater. I like the idea of electric because there is no combustion to worry about and I don't need to worry about burning a ton of propane over a several day hunt.  My concerns are about rain and there not being a floor.  I could lay out a tarp but its likely not a perfect solution. 

Anyone else ever camp in their hub style fish house?  Any tips or tricks you've learned?  Warm and dry is all i'm concerned with.  I can deal with a cold night but after sitting in my stand for hours on end on a cold day I'd like a reasonably warm place to warm up.

My thought is that if you are going to use this for the full season is to invest into a handful of 2x4's and a sheet or 2 of plywood and create a floor!  overall you will be warmer and not have to worry about animals and water from the ground.  use screws to connect everything and then at the end of the season unscrew it and you will have scrap wood or it will be ready to reassemble next time you need a place to stay.

I'll probably end up making 3-4 trips up to this area.  Hopefully the first trip or 2 will be warm enough I can just use my normal camping gear so maybe the fish house set up will get used maybe 3 times at most.

I've thought about some type of floor system but I'm some what limited by my vehicle.  I don't have a truck to haul stuff so plywood would be tough.  I could probably get some 2x4x8's into the small suv I have but I think the fish house is just over 8' on each side if i remember right. I'll also have to account for set up and tear down time.

Build your floor in sections that can fit in your car and sized the be completely inside the hub.  Use 2x2 instead of 2x4’s and thinner plywood.  Roll some indoor/outdoor carpet over the top and you’ll be happy.

Otherwise get a cot if setting up on bare ground and keep stuff in totes inside.  Bring a bathroom floor mat or two for your feet in the morning when you wake up and get out bed.  And to stand on to put your boots on.

A little buddy or buddy heater would be enough to heat it quickly in the evening and morning but I’d snuggle in without it on.  Bring a stocking cap for sleeping.  Don’t sleep in your clothes or you’ll probably sweat and get cold.

Keep it dry and you’ll keep it comfy.

12 hours ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

I’d put a tarp on top of it. Not the most waterproof if you get heavy rain or snowmelt.

Good call, didn't even think about that. 

I may need to wait and see what the weather is like each trip and figure out a solution for the weather that i'll be dealing with.