• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK, am I the only one in the closet - A POLL ???

Thought I would post this here... so not to be castout from the walleye elite... lol

How many of you have tried eating some of those "other fish"... I mean I cant be the only one who "chokes" down rough fish...

Here goes...

DRUM - you cant get much better a rough fish... really, they are very tasty and easy to catch !!! They clean well, same bone structure as a bass, or walleye... light (very white) flaky meat, taste better than bass shocked.gif, not quite as good as crappie or eyes, but good table fare...

LONG NOSE GAR - after cutting through the skin with wire clippers, taste just like a northern... (probably cause they are in same family)...

CARP - me and neighbor and I go bow fishing in spring, give most of it away, tried it pressure cooked (like canned salmon), I would rather have the salmon, and fried, would rather have something else as well...

Anyway, just thought I would see if Im the only one to make use of those other fish !!!

For those who have not tried them, well its not like they are in short supply, or hard to catch... be careful you might just like it !!!

W_GFA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had many redhorses,suckers, bullheads, cats (fish that is), carps, buffalos, eel, smelt, sturgeon, and tried to cook a bowfin but the meat wouldn't stay together.
I liked the sturgeon best than the redhourses/sucker, cats/bullheads and eels in that order. But crappies and sunnies, hmm, delicious.

I do eat channel cats once in a while & I like them. But as far as those other oddball fish, I would try some if someone else was preparing them, but there are too many tasty bluegills, crappies & walleyes to eat already. I'm a big fan of those odd river species, but I can't get excited about eating them. I don't think I'll be bringing home a bunch of sheepshead, carp or suckers anytime soon. Vern

I've had sucker and eel - liked 'em both. I'll try drum. I feel better comtaminant-wise about eating fish further down the foodchain, anyway. There's always fish-cakes, too.

I read something over the winter - might've been here, that if you take a rough fish from a muddy place that would usually taste...muddy, and put it on a barrel of well-water for a day or two, it cleans 'em out a bit.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

My father-in-law is an I'll eat anything kind of guy. I should go do some roughfish fishing with him and then do some experimentin'. I'll let folks know (if I live).

mm

If an eel bites your a$$ as you go swimmin' past, thats a moray. (Old Dean Martin song)

[This message has been edited by mistermom (edited 03-27-2003).]

So many delicious options - - I'll pass on the rough fish. Not that I'm squeemish - - I love sushi, especially the raw exotic stuff like sea urchn gonads (uni), raw scallops (hotate), eel (unagi) . . . yummy!

Never tried to eat any rouighfish, although a majority of my rough fish comes from the mississippi in the Cities, and I wouldnt eat any fish that come out of there. Have eaten catfish before and they are really good.

------------------
"A dislexic agnostic insomniac lies awake at night wondering
if there's a dog."

You can't beat catfish and bullheads! I have also tried drum and i have to say it was pretty decent. You can't beat redhorse/sucker from a clean stream, made into patties and fried up in butter with some potatoes. i am a little suspicous of carp but who knows, billions of people in other parts of the world consider it a delacacy so maybe they have a way to cook it that makes it worth the while.><>
deadeye

I do have to agree that bullheads are yummy. I have a cabin up north, where the water is clear, clean, and cold, and there almost no bullheads. We've caught about 7 in 11 years, all over a pound, and all delicious.
I have never had caught catfish, only store bought, in fact, thats what I'm having tonight. But im sure as with other things the wild version is much better.

I have eaten carp once. If I had any idea how it was prepared, I would eat it again. The people who prepared it ground up the meat and seasoned it nicely with some asian type seasonings and fried up in pattties.

I would prefer to see a plate full of sheepshead in front of me than some Sea Urchin (Sp?) gonads piled up in front of me with someone looking at me expecting me to eat them.

Mr Walleye GFA ... remind me to supply the fillets for the fish fry's this coming summer.

We need some productive open water folks .. I think our fellow fishermen including myself is starting to lose touch with reality due to fishing withdrawls.

Sunday I was cruising around Wright Co. getting terrain for my new native-tank and I ran across a Hmong family carping on the Missy. They were open-fire roasting a carp on a stick. It smelled pretty good! I didn't venture right into their barbecue, but I talked to the guy who was fishing, and he was real excited by the carp & suckers, but those darn "other fish" were a pain! I didn't ask about the "other fish", but the carps were hitting a simple angle worm/splitshot rig. Maybe next time I'll remember a rod and join in. Would like to sample some open-pit carp.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

Ish, Ish and more ishes. I'm not adventurious when it comes to eating.

But I have heard that eel pout (Mille Lacs) are better than Walleye?? That's what I heard.

I'll catch em, you can eat em. Or sell them to the Hmong @ the Coon Rapids Dam for $2 a carp. smile.gif

Ebass, eelpout are very delicious. Have you ever had Cod from a restaurant? Eelpout are just a freshwater cod, no one i know will believe me aboot how good they are, but they are just as good as any cod you buy from a store

------------------
"A dislexic agnostic insomniac lies awake at night wondering
if there's a dog."

Ive had eelpout also... its pretty tastey, but I dont catch much of it, mostly in winter ice fishing...

The FRESHWATER DRUM is the same as the REDFISH found on the Gulf and Atlantic Coast... the REDFISH is highly soughtafter as both game and tablefare...

One of the pots nicknames is poor mans lobster. And rightly so, its tasty fish, and fun to catch.
My dad and I make a annual trip to mille lacs. Back when he did it with his previous kids(much older than I), Native Americans from, well im not sure what tribe is located in the mille lacs region, would go door to door to the icehouses and ask for their eelpouts if they didn't want them. I guess that was when they were still frowned upon as table fare by most of the fisherman.

Bobb-o,
Come to think of it I guess I have had cod before, and it was good. Of course it came in a bag of frozen fillets, so I didn't see the ugly sucka.

So, people eat Drum aka Sheepshead? That's got to be the most stinky fish out there. I saw a dead one floating in the river and cut it up for bait. I caught a nice channel cat. But the smell... horrid, and people eat them? UGH...

I'm 99% catch and release any who.

Two weeks ago I took a trip up to Lake of the Woods. All the snow was melted off the lake so you could see a winters worth of debris that people threw out of their ice houses. I saw hundreds of burbots discarded on the ice (uncleaned, of course). Its tragic that fishermen would wantonly waste such a valuable resource. Terrible.

meatballsinatra

There is a saltwater strain of fish commonly called * sheepshead * .. these are what you most likely saw in the grocery store. The actual specie of fish escaped me .. but it will come back to me.

We all have probably eaten freshwater drum and not even known it .. they get the fish for McDonalds and Burger King somewhere...

Fisher Dave, that is the other name that peopele use for the freshwater drum. I would imagine that the saltwater ones are pretty much the same as the freshwater ones. OH and I think that the mcdonalds fish might be carp, the sandwich smells just like a carp so who knows! wink.gif ><>
deadeye
they say variety is the spice of life