• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

OK, am I the only one in the closet - A POLL ???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We always used to spear redhorse when they ran in the spring. Most got fed to the pigs or used for fertilizer, but we usually slabbed a few and smoked them. Good stuff! It won't match smoked salmon or whitefish, but it's pretty tasty. I have done a few carp in the last few years, but I'm a little concerned about pollutants so I wouldn't eat much. Carp, buffalo, quills and redhorse are all good smoked.

Springtime also brings on the sucker run. My favorite first-warm-day-of-spring outing is to head to the river for a pile of suckers. I fillet them, cut the fillets in chunks and pickle them. Just like store-bought herring.

Eelpout is great too. Light and mild, just like it's saltwater cousin, cod. Bullheads are just little catfish. Both are tasty.

And as for coot, I'll take them too. In our camp, we'll take the coot when they fly by and breast them out. Then, when deer hunting starts, take the coot breasts and a deer heart and drop them in a crock pot with some red wine, onions, and spices. That makes a fantastic lunch on the second day of deer hunting.

Bottom line is, most things are edible if you cook them right. I've hunted, fished, and trapped my whole life. I never needed to eat these "frowned upon" non-game critters to survive, but I had fun taking them and figured I ought to try eating them too. You'd be surprised if you tasted some of these cooked correctly. Don't turn up your nose to quick!

------------------
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Grilled Gator-tail steak w/saur kraut on a kaiser w/swiss & Thousand Island - Redneck Reuben!

Used to get 'em at a sittle stand on Clearwater beach. Mmmmm.

------------------
Aquaman
<')}}}}}><{
Peace and Fishes

Walleye_GFA
I tried gator one time. Only problem was I was fried with a special sauce and can't remember how it tasted. Have also tried carp smoked not to bad. At least I wasn't smoked when I tried it smile.gif

Drum are great; they're in the same family as saltwater redfish and taste the same. Smoked tullibees are a delicacy. Winnipeg Hot-Smoked goldeye is also a delicacy, and you could do the same with mooneyes. I've never had that - don't try eating a mooneye without hot-smoking it to firm the flesh. Eelpout (or burbot) are delicious. Fry them up and make a BBT (Bacon, Burbot, and Tomato) sandwich. All catfish are good from clean water, and carp as well if you remove the mud vein. Suckers are just plain delicious from clean water - but bony. Buffalo are also known as sweet sucker and are really good. If you score sucker fillets by cutting them across the grain every 1/4 inch, then fry them in hot oil the bones dissolve. Great eating and extra calcium.