• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Broadheads for turkey hunting?

minky

Minky

What ever you use for deer should work. Im thinking you will want some more weight for mechanicals heads. If that weight works I use any of the rocket broadheads for over 20 years now. They have been great for turkeys. Sidewinder or Hammer head.

What I have gone by needing at least 50lbs for 2 inch cutting mechanicals so you are close. For that settup I would go with less then a 2 inch. Rocket sidewinder is one of my favorite heads that's 1.5

This is usually my recommendation but it is definitely what I would suggest for someone shooting that kind of poundage, I suggest a Magnus bullhead. They are awesome and the best part about it is they result the in virtually no hit and lost animals. It almost always is a dead or completely unharmed animal and the kill zone is bigger then what you are dealing with when you shoot a fixed or expandable head.

My son shoots the same poundage and it's been awesome for him. 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:18 PM, Scoot said:

This is usually my recommendation but it is definitely what I would suggest for someone shooting that kind of poundage, I suggest a Magnus bullhead. They are awesome and the best part about it is they result the in virtually no hit and lost animals. It almost always is a dead or completely unharmed animal and the kill zone is bigger then what you are dealing with when you shoot a fixed or expandable head.

My son shoots the same poundage and it's been awesome for him. 

The Bullhead he's referring to is for head/neck shots only.  Lots of people like these for turkeys.  I'm not a huge fan, but my reasoning is different than most.  They do cut down on the wounding rate that is often extreme with regular broadheads (fixed or mechanical) used for body shots.

Don,  would you agree bullheads are an especially good option for lower poundage setups?  I think they are great no matter what,  but they really shine for shorter draw length and/or lower KE setups in my experience/opinion (but I have a lot less turkey experience than you).  

Edited by Scoot

11 hours ago, Scoot said:

Don,  would you agree bullheads are an especially good option for lower poundage setups? 

Can't dissagree with you.  I struggle with this question because I mentor so many women (and often kids) that shoot lower poundage bows.  I'm such a huge proponant of the bigger mechanicals, but just can't recommend them to those archers.  I've never seen the head loppers in action with the lower poundage so it's hard for me to have an opinion on them.  I know your son has had good luck with them, I doubt he's shooting more than 40 lbs?

Does anyone here have any experience with the low KE Rage?  They are supposed to work well at lower lbs.

Edited by DonBo

I think he's at 46 lbs, Don. I can't remember for sure- might bre closer to 50. Somewhere in that range. I've been super impressed with the bullheads at that poundage and lower. If I had started him with them I'm sure he'd have killed the first two birds he shot at. Hit exactly where he aimed and no recovery.  Live and learn...

Yep I definitely do. When Ryan was in that range I regret not having him use them. 

Suggestion- aiming point is higher than I initially thought. Have them aim right where the neck meets the head- bottom of the chin height. 2 inches high kills em and so does 2 inches low. If they aim for the middle of the neck missing a little low doesn't work (in the waddle area won't cut it-- speaking from experience).

My son shot a bird with a nap spitfire max at 52 lbs (I think).  It worked fine. I still prefer loppers, but there's no wrong answer. I suggest you study kill zone/turkey position if you haven't already. Tons of birds are hit and lost because people are aiming at the wrong spot! 

Hit em high watch em die, hit em low watch em go. 

Good luck Minky!

Edited by Scoot