• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shappell 6500 Wide House Or Something Else? Opinions.

Sportdog7

Been looking for a portable ice house both pop up and flip styles and after  a lot of thought I think a pop up might be my best option. In particular I like the Shappell 6500 its very roomy interior dimensions 90" X 90" and 70" tall they claim its big enough for 4 seeing its just me & my brother it should allow us plenty of room. Prices I've seen the price range from 220.00 to 265.00 both in stores & online.  I'd like to hear opinions on what the community here thinks of the Wide House good & bad or any other shelter that fishes 3 or 4 people. And as long as were at it, should I buy now in mid season or wait till they go on clearance in late Feb. or early March?  Thanks!!

There are a lot of pop up hubs in that size range at a similar cost.  I would go to a store and check them out.  Look at the fabric quality and seam stitching. 

I have one of the first pop up hubs that hit the market.  It's 10+ years old and still going strong.  I also have the newer version of the same house and it's absolute junk.  It started coming apart as soon as I unboxed it and when the sun shines on it it looks like the fabric is cracking.  Junk.  Ordered it online with the assumption it was built with the same quality as the first.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, divide the number of people the manufacturer says fit by 2 and that's how many people can actually fit in there and fish.

The shappell 6500 doesn't appear to be insulated. Non insulated are cold <0 deg and will collect a lot of water & frost on walls and ceiling. My Eskimo 949i is 96x96" 3 is crouded 4 impossible no room for gear. I also use a full floor which makes a world of difference in comfort and heating. Clam insulated 6pack also a good hub with room. My floor 2 fishing

I've been fishing in uninsulated popups for years with no floor.  Yes, insulated holds heat better and cuts down the frost on the ceiling.

Get a decent heater and a good pair of boots and you'll be fine.   

Edited by bobbymalone

Guys thanks for your advice I stopped in at Sheels today and they recommended whatever portable I buy I'd be better served buying one that's insulated they showed the Frabill Bunker fully insulated 250 hub normally 299.99 on sale for 199.99 dimensions 80 X 80  and 80 tall with 2 doors. The Shappell 6500 fully insulated Wide House is on sale for 296.99 its 90 X 90 by 80 tall also with 2 doors. So there it is 2 portable shanties one 100.00 cheaper and a bit smaller any thoughts on which one would you would own. I think both companies offer a well made product. but I'm new at this...  HELP!!

14 hours ago, Sportdog7 said:

So there it is 2 portable shanties one 100.00 cheaper and a bit smaller any thoughts on which one would you would own. I think both companies offer a well made product. but I'm new at this...  HELP!!

Real decision is how much space is needed. Frabill is 6'6"x 6'6", Shappell is 7'6"x 7'6", Eskimo 949i ($289 Amazon & L&M free ship) is 8' x 8'. Find a spot in your home to tape off each hub size than cut 6ea paper circles to hole size and place on floor 3 people fishing. Mark door area on tape put all the gear the 3 people will use fishing, chairs, heater, rod case, coolers, minnow bucket tackle boxes coats  etc and place inside marked floor. You will soon answer the question of which one to buy. 

Well I’ve been looking the last month for a pop up that me and my brother could fish out of, I looked at many different brands I found a new ESKIMO Quickfish 3 on HSOList about a week ago reduced to 170.99 and I was really thinking of buying it. Well today when I got home I had a email from HSOList that the seller had 4 left and they lowered the price 59.00! I didn’t hesitate went to HSOList and bought it.  My total inc. tax 118.15, I’m sure glad I waited to look at several models. I had no idea the price would fall so quick or so low, this pop up will have more than enough room for me & my brother. Just had to share the good news and thank you all for the advice it gave me the insight to decide what would relly work for me.