• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pontoon Trailer, Scissors Or Bunk?

Big Dave2

Question

I'm looking to buy a used pontoon with trailer and a lot of the pontoons I am finding that have a trailer included have a scissors trailer instead of a bunk trailer. I'm not too sure how safe a scissors trailer is and think I would prefer a bunk trailer but I've only owned boats so I don't have much experience with pontoon trailers. 

I will be taking the pontoon on short trips as well as the occasional 3-1/2 hour trip. Should I even consider a scissors trailer or should I only look at bunk trailers? 

12 answers to this question

I would only look at bunk trailers. The scissor trailer would be fine for short trips, but I wouldn't trust it on a 3-1/2 trip. Stability is the issue as far as I'm concerned. I tow my 22 foot pontoon from St. Louis, MO. to Lake Vermilion, 1600 mile round trip, a couple of times a year on a bunk trailer and never have had a problem.

I went with a bunk style for traveling as well.  But I’ve never used a scissor style so I can’t compare.  But I also can’t say I wished I had a scissor more than maybe once.

If you’re going used, you might run into the scenario of finding a toon you like but no trailer.  Then buy a used trailer instead of new to go under it.  Word of caution: if the trailer is sized for a bigger toon than you buy but will “fit” yours, just keep looking.  Bigger is not better in this case.

29 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

all I ever had was a scissor trailers so I can only speak for them and I liked them..  never had any issues at all..

Do you only use the trailer to take the pontoon in and out of the water or do you take it on long trips?

13 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

If you’re going used, you might run into the scenario of finding a toon you like but no trailer.  Then buy a used trailer instead of new to go under it.  

I would definitely do that but used pontoon trailers are hard to find and when you do find them they are usually priced like new.  

Like others have said. Bunks are more stable for travel but may need deeper water to launch them to float free from the trailer. Scissors can drop out of the way for launching in shallower water but are less stable for travel because the toon likes to hop around on them in turns if not strapped down well.  My buddy found this out when bring his 2 year old new pontoon and trailer home from his cabin last year. He rounded a curve on 169 and it tipped up to one side and dragged a 1 foot long gouge in one of the toons he had to get repaired.  ?

Edited by leech~~

19 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Like others have said. Bunks are more stable for travel but may need deeper water to launch them to float free from the trailer. Scissors can drop out of the way for launching in shallower water but are last stable for travel because the toon likes to hop around on them in turns if not strapped down well.  My buddy found this out when bring his 2 year old new pontoon and trailer home from his cabin last year. He rounded a curve on 169 and it tipped up to one side and dragged a 1 foot long gouge in one of the toons he had to get repaired.  ?

Yikes! This is the kind of story I was afraid I would hear. I'm sticking to my guns on the bunk trailer I think.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

I would definitely do that but used pontoon trailers are hard to find and when you do find them they are usually priced like new.  

So, you HAVE been shopping already! ?

The most reasonable place I called for a new trailer was the place in Grand Rapids that makes them.  I think they make the G3 toons also.

as said by the others you do have to be careful on curves.  but I did travel with it at first then it was just for local area..  but I like the idea of being lower in the water!!  and I bought a new one because of the used prices...

Edited by Mike89

4 hours ago, otterman91105 said:

I would stick with a bunk trailer if you are going to travel with it. They are much more stable. They do take a little deeper water to free float off the trailer but it is still very simple.

I think heard that some where before? ? ?