• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mbrb 2018

Siwulat

Rank is the order on which you draw for your prefered spot. #1 chooses first. #2 chooses second, etc.

I was drawn as the #1 alternate for the MN DNR hunt, Hwy 61 & Warner Rd in St Paul.  This is a new one for me.

I got primary on the Crow-Hassen with a rank of #21. New experience for me as well, with MBRB, been a member for a few years just could never get a hunt.

DanBo - That was one I had on my list as I have a buddy that lives just a few blocks up from there.

Hunted crow-Hassan last year, seen a nice buck out there, tried to call to him but he was on a mission!

Drew as an alternate for Palmer lake, 6 spots and I was number 7, oh well maybe will still get to hunt a little.

I got drawn for the Eagle lake hunt.  My wife is scheduled for surgery on the 25th of this month, and that is the date of the meeting.  I asked to reschedule that or make it up before or after and I was told I had to be there for the meeting.  I told them I would not be partaking in the hunt then because I need to be there for my bride.  Nice to know where priorities are for the group.

This is not the first time I have been thoroughly disappointed with how this group handles things.  I don't know why I keep going back, but then again, I do.

Good luck!

On 9/4/2018 at 4:46 PM, pumper317 said:

I got drawn for the Eagle lake hunt.  My wife is scheduled for surgery on the 25th of this month, and that is the date of the meeting.  I asked to reschedule that or make it up before or after and I was told I had to be there for the meeting.  I told them I would not be partaking in the hunt then because I need to be there for my bride.  Nice to know where priorities are for the group.

This is not the first time I have been thoroughly disappointed with how this group handles things.  I don't know why I keep going back, but then again, I do.

They have a meeting with everyone involved in the hunt, all hunters, coordinators, city officials, local police, all at the same time.  There's no way they can redo that to accomodate one hunter no matter how good an excuse he has.  That's why they draw alternates.

Sorry, you lose this time, keep trying.

On 8/19/2018 at 4:39 PM, minky said:

Hunted crow-Hassan last year, seen a nice buck out there, tried to call to him but he was on a mission!

Drew as an alternate for Palmer lake, 6 spots and I was number 7, oh well maybe will still get to hunt a little.

I stopped by one evening at Palmer Lake and talked to the guys coming out at the end of the day a year or two ago.  They were pretty frustrated because they said the city picks out trees they can put their stands in and they were seeing Deer every day but just out of range of the tree.  I said, so they let hunters in to thin the Deer but they wouldn't let them hunt the way they know how to, by picking out their stand spots?  They can't get out of their stands to stalk a Deer as well. ?  I guess the stand placement and no stalking is for public safety. But that would be a frustrating hunt watch them and can't go after them!

I haven't hunted with MBRB yet but have a couple buddies that have.  They've all had good and bad things to say about it.  They thought it was very organized and its awesome that you can get access to some good hunting very close to home.  However, they've all been frustrated by the rigidity of the hunts and some of the rules put into place that handcuff you a bit.  For them it became difficult to participate due to the mandatory minimum hunting days and the meeting schedule.  Its understandable that the hunts require you to jump through some hoops as the organizers are trying to appease a lot of important groups (city/county officials, local police, possibly the general public, etc) and they need to make sure that everything is done right in order to protect the future of the MBRB and their access to the different hunt areas. However, those hoops do make it difficult for many people. 

My buddies all said they'd do it again but not until right now.  With young kids at home and busy work schedules they are never sure if they can adhere to the time requirements.  We've all talked about giving it a try down the road once the kids are all a bit older and we are able to get away a bit easier. 

Donbo, I totally get that they will not change things for me as a single individual, and I get how they need to keep things tight laced for public safety and everything.  I just keep getting these bad thoughts about the whole organization.  Last year I did not draw a primary hunt anywhere (tried for 8 with 2 preference points) and my buddy's neighbor hunted in 6 different hunts because he is a coordinator and high up the ranks of the organization.  I would have coordinated a hunt to get the chance and told them that.  I just keep getting back to that good old boys club thing.  Its a great opportunity, it is close to home, but I feel it is managed to the likes of those who have done it forever and are in the group.

I will keep doing it, but that is my thoughts on it. 

On 9/24/2018 at 10:05 AM, pumper317 said:

Donbo, I totally get that they will not change things for me as a single individual, and I get how they need to keep things tight laced for public safety and everything.  I just keep getting these bad thoughts about the whole organization.  Last year I did not draw a primary hunt anywhere (tried for 8 with 2 preference points) and my buddy's neighbor hunted in 6 different hunts because he is a coordinator and high up the ranks of the organization.  I would have coordinated a hunt to get the chance and told them that.  I just keep getting back to that good old boys club thing.  Its a great opportunity, it is close to home, but I feel it is managed to the likes of those who have done it forever and are in the group.

I will keep doing it, but that is my thoughts on it. 

I dunno... my dad and I started with MBRB about 5 years go now I think and we haven’t has trouble drawing. And we certainly weren’t part of any good old boys club. Mostly city guys and we live out on the edge of the metro area. We have drawn as primary hunters 3 times and got lucky and got in as alternates a couple times too. It is super important to look at the hunter ranking view so you can see how many guys have applied for a given hunt as their first choice. If you do that and are flexible on which hunt you do, you can get it with prettt good success.